iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

My 27" iMac is still the best looking screen out there.  I guess retina on that size would just be too expensive and the macs are already pretty expensive.

..and a bit pointless, unless you're going to sit with your face bang up to the screen.

• Reply 22 of 72
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think Apple's next step for screen is maybe not higher resolution per se, but more colors available to be shown.  I think that's the direction of the next generation screens. It may surface next year or the year after.

• Reply 23 of 72
    just bought the cheap mini for a project, i am suprisingly pleased with the smaller form factor, to a point where I am considering ditching my full size IPad and replacing it with a fully specced mini. When moving between devices the lack of retina display is noticable for the first minute or so than the eyes adjust and the display looks ok. Don't like the new smart cover as the hinge is plastic and the attachments dont line up properly all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanVerb View Post

..and a bit pointless, unless you're going to sit with your face bang up to the screen.

I have the late 2009 27" iMac and also the retina iPad. I sit about 2 ft. from the screen and the text is noticeably less sharp and clear than the iPad.

Especially for detail work. But I also appreciate the cost issue to go retina. So when the cost & performance align. I'll pull the trigger. Until then, Retina is more compelling then thinner screen width or faster processor.

• Reply 25 of 72
    Can you really hold the width of the Mini like in the promo? Looks big but 5.3 inches is almost the size of a dollar bill so its plausible. I highly doubt anyone would actually hold it that way.

edit: never mind. I watch the Apple Event again.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    pjapkpjapk Posts: 24member
    Looks like its screen has a very different colour balance (of importance to photographers)
  • Reply 27 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pjapk wrote: »
    Looks like its screen has a very different colour balance (of importance to photographers)

If you're using an iPad mini or an iPad as a professional "photographer"- you should look for a new job. :)
    I agree about colors though- the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 color reproduction is absolutely brilliant- better than anything else out there. Interested to see the minis results.
  • Reply 28 of 72

Originally Posted by pjapk View Post

No, it's just new. The yellow goes away.

• Reply 29 of 72
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The new iPad mini is 7.2mm thick, the same as the new iPod touch and thinner than the iPhone 4/4S/5 (and significantly thinner than any other iPad).

Incorrect, the new iPod Touch is 6.1 mm thick not 7.2mm!
  • Reply 30 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

just bought the cheap mini for a project, i am suprisingly pleased with the smaller form factor, to a point where I am considering ditching my full size IPad and replacing it with a fully specced mini. When moving between devices the lack of retina display is noticable for the first minute or so than the eyes adjust and the display looks ok. Don't like the new smart cover as the hinge is plastic and the attachments dont line up properly all the time.

That's interesting. I think a few corners were cut with the iPad mini, but it's still able to run iOS applications as well as the iPad 2, while managing to increase portability, so I think it sounds like a winner for Apple. Personally, I'm ready for the next 9.7 inch iPad to be thinner and lighter, but keep the top-shelf hardware and features.

• Reply 31 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    urbanverb wrote: »

His point was that not having the marketing term Retina applied does not mean it's crap.

That's interesting. I think a few corners were cut with the iPad mini, but it's still able to run iOS applications as well as the iPad 2, while managing to increase portability, so I think it sounds like a winner for Apple. Personally, I'm ready for the next 9.7 inch iPad to be thinner and lighter, but keep the top-shelf hardware and features.

I'm certain Rogue 6 will be needed for that. I don't see any way to reduce power consumption to a point that will allow for a significantly smaller battery that will still retain that 10 hour window without Rogue 6. There is a better backlighting system, something that might be helped by in-cell so there are less layers for light to pass but I think that is minor compared to the GPU update which I don't think will happen until the second half of 2013.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    OT: I would like Apple's packaging to get smaller.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    urbanverb wrote: »

How are you forgetting that people have said that for every new Apple product with Retina screen?

Retina isn't as beneficial as with other products, but in doing text work, CAD and vector drawings, Retina will certainly be useful. But because of the screen sizes involved, it might be the last to get such an update.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    jeffdm wrote: »
    How are you forgetting that people have said that for every new Apple product with Retina screen?
    Retina isn't as beneficial as with other products, but in doing text work, CAD and vector drawings, Retina will certainly be useful. But because of the screen sizes involved, it might be the last to get such an update.

What time frame do you think is possible? I'm hoping next year with what I think will be a Mac Pro update (in some way) and AirPort router/Time Machine update but that's more wishful thinking than anything else as a 218 PPI 5120x2880 resolution display seems so cost and production prohibitive for 2013, but so did the 264 PPI 2048x1536 resolution display in the iPad (3).
  • Reply 35 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What time frame do you think is possible? I'm hoping next year with what I think will be a Mac Pro update (in some way) and AirPort router/Time Machine update but that's more wishful thinking than anything else as a 218 PPI 5120x2880 resolution display seems so cost and production prohibitive for 2013, but so did the 264 PPI 2048x1536 resolution display in the iPad (3).

I think it's possible now, but not realistic to expect it until the process matures a bit more. I don't expect next year, but it would be nice if it was offered then.
  • Reply 36 of 72

I bought an iPad Mini for my 47-year-old daughter... she already has an iPad 2.

She absolutely loves it... the biggest thing is that it fits in her purse.   She is an avid reader (50-60 books a year) and carries her iPad everywhere -- and spends any idle minute reading (when you are schlepping 3 teenagers around, you have lots of idle minutes).

She went to Target and BestBuy to find a case for it... When she held it up and asked: "do you have a case for this?" -- they just glowered at her... Ha!

I played with the mini for a few minutes -- looks and feels quite nice... and runs as you'd expect it to!

Great product!

• Reply 37 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

OT: I would like Apple's packaging to get smaller.

How so?...  There is no wasted space in the iPad Mini box, unless they can redesign the power adapter to be flatter -- the height and width of the box is slightly larger than the iPad.  The depth of the box is slightly more than the thickness of the iPad and te power adapter.

• Reply 38 of 72
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I honestly think this could be the nicest looking product Apple has ever made. Once you get used to it, the large iPad seems like it has a ridiculosly large bezel. This thing is almost all screen. And the materials and back looks gorgeous. 

• Reply 39 of 72
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    I spent about 15 minutes with an iPad Mini at the local Apple store last night. I can tell you this is an absolutely brilliant device. For most tasks that the iPad is used, such as light email, web browsing, YouTube, Netflix, iTunes for Movies or audio, and especially ebooks, iPad Mini is a better device than iPad. For those who try to use iPad as a laptop substitute, full-size iPad is probably a better choice. iPad Mini is so light and thin that you can easily hold it in one hand while reading or typing. So, you use it in a different way than you do the full-size iPad. I can see how the adoption of this device by retail sector as well as by healthcare sector will be rapid and enormous. You really have to play with it to understand that this device will open many doors that remained closed to the iPad. Also, iPad mini is a perfect fusion of an ereader and a high-end tablate. I really believe informed consumers on a budget will be choosing iPad Mini over Android tablets or Amazon Kindle Fire. As for the resolution, because of the smaller screen size than full-size iPad , the same resolution as on iPad 2 seems a lot sharper than on iPad 2. I could not discern pixels on the iPad Mini as I can on my iPad 2. So, iPad Mini is not a fail with the current resolution. The cameras on iPad Mini are much better than on iPad 2, so if you do FaceTime or Skype between two iPad Minis, video quality will be better on both ends than it is with iPad 2 or even iPad 3. The back camera is good enough and the size of iPad Mini is small enough that you can use it as a photo or video camera (unlike a full-size ipad). So, those who do not want a smart phone could opt for an iPad Mini and have similar camera handy. All of this in one device for $329 I presents a compelling reason to own an iPad Mini for those on a budget and late into the mobile computing era. I, for one, have ordered a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini for my 2-year-old son because I believe it's an excellent educational tool. iPhone/iPod Touch is too small for that purpose, but a full-size iPad is too bulky for a toddler to handle. iPad Mini seems to be perfect for this as well as for so many other tasks. By the way, it would make an excellent GPS if you get one with cell data and GPS chip in it.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    How so?...  There is no wasted space in the iPad Mini box, unless they can redesign the power adapter to be flatter -- the height and width of the box is slightly larger than the iPad.  The depth of the box is slightly more than the thickness of the iPad and te power adapter.

There is lots of wasted space in the box. Most of the box's thickness is because they need room for the PSU's thickness but they don't fill that space with much of anything. I'd like the box to be elongated so the PSU and headphones are at the bottom edge of the box which would allow the box to be much thinner thus allowing for less overall volume being used for packaging. This would negatively affect the aesthetic of the box being the length and width of the product they are selling so I'll be surprised if they go that route.