Apple opens iPad mini reservations for next-day in-store pickup

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    My local Apple store has gotten 3 shipments so far, and they've all sold within minutes. I think this is doing pretty well. But hey, the current media trend is sensational Apple hate, so I can see why they're pushing this 'Mini is failing' and 'where's the new ideas?' narrative.

Yeah, because should've made an entirely different OS for this tablet, with a triangular screen. So it could be 'new'.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blond37 wrote: »
    side question - why does apple keep flooding the air waves with mini commercials when they can't even have any to sell?

Marketing does not work that way!

They do have them to sell. You can go online and buy one right now. You can also reserve one after 10pm and walk into the store as they get new shipments in nearly every day. What there is is demand outstripping supply which is, in part, due to direct advertising of the new product. On top of that, they aren't going to stop sales on Monday and want to get more people interested in buying one for their next tablet hence the marketing.
  • Reply 23 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My local Apple store has gotten 3 shipments so far, and they've all sold within minutes. I think this is doing pretty well. But hey, the current media trend is sensational Apple hate, so I can see why they're pushing this 'Mini is failing' and 'where's the new ideas?' narrative.

Yeah, because should've made an entirely different OS for this tablet, with a triangular screen. So it could be 'new'.

While there are some anti-Apple sentiments growing in media, it is equally sensationalistic to suggest that the trend is "sensational Apple hate" and that media is pushing the Mini is failing agenda across the board. The reviews are mixed but most are saying it is the tablet in its size, with the display being the main gripe. That is fair, isn't it?

The trend here and other pro-Apple site is to pretend the whole rest of the world is anti-Apple. That boat has sailed.

• Reply 24 of 32
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This reservation system that they're implementing really kicks ass.

I missed the initial iPhone 5 launch and then watched with little amusement as the delivery time blew out to three to four weeks and stayed there for the next month.

Ironically, after asking a stranger in public who had an iPhone 5 if I could feel the weight of it, I discovered he works at the Apple story in Sydney and he told me about the reservation system. Three attempts later and I've got a beautiful new 'Hotblack Desirato' black iPhone 5 and the knowledge not to fail to pre-order next time...
  • Reply 25 of 32
    A little off topic:

I went into my local (Westfarms mall) Apple store yesterday to buy an iPhone 5. They were out. I asked when they will get the next shipment and the guy said my best bet is next week, late next week, thursday or friday of next week. He said they are getting shipments once or twice a week. How is this fair? People who ordered their 5 online 2 weeks ago still have another 2 weeks before it can even ship, nevermind arrive! Can't they just take like 3/4 of all of the units that go out to the Apple Store (worldwide) and ship them off to the people who ordered them online?! Well, wish me luck, I'm going to Verizon to cancel my current phone tomorrow, and then the Apple Store on Thursday to pick up an iPhone 5.

Also: While I was there, I checked out the iPad Mini. It's kinda weird, it has the UI of an iPad (Settings.app, music.app, clock.app) but it is smaller. It's like if you loaded an iPad UI onto an iPhone (for those of us/you that have iPhones/touches and iPads). It's odd. I'm sure I could get used to it, though. I believe my entire family is getting one each, though. My Mom walks into the store and is like "do they have an Minis?", I say yes and she proceeds to look at them and I ask why she isn't trying it and she says she has no idea how to use one :\. xD that's the entire point of an iPad, it being easy to use...
  • Reply 26 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Who said no one was buying??
    Dozens of blogger 'experts' said this would be a failure because its not retina and its not under $300.

And unless Apple sold 10 million minis this weekend it will still be a fail to them. And they didn't, so . . .
  • Reply 27 of 32
    A little off topic:
    I went into my local (Westfarms mall) Apple store yesterday to buy an iPhone 5. They were out. I asked when they will get the next shipment and the guy said my best bet is next week, late next week, thursday or friday of next week. He said they are getting shipments once or twice a week. How is this fair? People who ordered their 5 online 2 weeks ago still have another 2 weeks before it can even ship, nevermind arrive! Can't they just take like 3/4 of all of the units that go out to the Apple Store (worldwide) and ship them off to the people who ordered them online?! Well, wish me luck, I'm going to Verizon to cancel my current phone tomorrow, and then the Apple Store on Thursday to pick up an iPhone 5.

How is it fair that stores have absolutely no units when people that bought online, who choose not to go to a store, and who were told the time frame they'd have to wait if they purchased online now get them sooner than the stores?

And lets remember this is about orders, it's not that the next person waiting for an online shipment still has weeks to wait. What the stores get may not even put a dent in the online order time frame.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismx wrote: »
    seanorse wrote: »
    Went down to look at it and came away unimpressed. Compared to my iPad 3 the screen was quite a step down but otherwise just a smaller iPad. Would like to see some new ideas from Apple.

Why would you go to see an iPad mini and expect "new ideas"? It's the iPad 2 resolution using the iPhone 3GS PPI so they can make a smaller tablet that already has a thriving ecosystem built in. It's a new device but outside of that I can't imagine what revolutionary new paradigm you were expecting.
    I would've come on stronger, but he, you seem to be a more gentle men.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    gtr wrote: »
    This reservation system that they're implementing really kicks ass.

I missed the initial iPhone 5 launch and then watched with little amusement as the delivery time blew out to three to four weeks and stayed there for the next month.

Ironically, after asking a stranger in public who had an iPhone 5 if I could feel the weight of it, I discovered he works at the Apple story in Sydney and he told me about the reservation system. Three attempts later and I've got a beautiful new 'Hotblack Desirato' black iPhone 5 and the knowledge not to fail to pre-order next time...

I ordered online the day it was released (here in The Netherlands) but still had to wait 3 weeks for my 64GB to arrive. The only 5's that were on sale were the 16GB versions on launch day. At the Amsterdam Store, I don't know if they were selling 32 and 64's.

OT: I sold my 4 too early and got stuck with a 3G (not s) for three weeks; boy was that a trip down memory lane! A slow lane I might add.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    philboogie wrote: »
    I ordered online the day it was released (here in The Netherlands) but still had to wait 3 weeks for my 64GB to arrive. The only 5's that were on sale were the 16GB versions on launch day. At the Amsterdam Store, I don't know if they were selling 32 and 64's.
    OT: I sold my 4 too early and got stuck with a 3G (not s) for three weeks; boy was that a trip down memory lane! A slow lane I might add.

It's funny how quickly our expectations for tech can change so quickly in one direction but not the other.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

just found a 64gb version in stock with Walmart... pays to shop around  :-P

• Reply 32 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How is it fair that stores have absolutely no units when people that bought online, who choose not to go to a store, and who were told the time frame they'd have to wait if they purchased online now get them sooner than the stores?

And lets remember this is about orders, it's not that the next person waiting for an online shipment still has weeks to wait. What the stores get may not even put a dent in the online order time frame.

Well I just think that to wait 1 month for an iPhone is ridiculous. What if at the time that they ordered it online, the stores had 1 month until another shipment, they (the customers) put it online, and now people think that all stores have about the same time to wait as the online one, and they order it online preferring not having to go out? Now they happen to stop by an Apple Store and see they have them in stock. They have 3 weeks to wait before their iPhone comes, and they are enraged. When some of my family and I went to the store to buy it, and they said it was out-of-stock, somebody said that I should've told them that 'I was going to now go buy the Droid I was looking at downstairs' (not that I did, just theoretically).