First official third-party Lightning accessories announced by Belkin

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

I hope you realize that will never, and should never happen. That's how you grow brand recognition. Why even have a logo if you're not even going to put it on your products?

A logo is fine (as long as it's well-designed), but having the company name scrawled everywhere is annoying.  The vast majority of respected brands have recognized this.  For example, you don't see "Mercedes Benz" printed across the hood of the car.

• Reply 23 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I'd love to hear Apple Insider or someone with the technical skills commenting on whether it makes sense of Apple to add a Lightning port to Mac laptops.

For charging, it makes no sense. But it might make sense for peripherals such as audio/music/photography accessories and audio/video in/out devices to work with both iPads and MacBook Airs. Apple would get more sales. We'd get double value for what we buy.

Firewire was designed with the same idea in mind (easy to integrate into all sorts of peripherals).  But outside of a few Sony cameras (under the iLink moniker), it never took off because everyone flocked to USB, which was cheaper to license, and Intel pushed hard because USB requires a computer (which is where Intel dominates) due to its complexity.

We'll have to wait and see how complicated and expensive it is to integrate Lightning into other products to find out if Apple has this in mind or not.

Edit: Also, I think Thunderbolt would make more sense as the connection choice for peripheral makers.

• Reply 24 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

A crying shame that it's mandatory to upload images in order to post them!

If you are using the Rich Text editor you can drag them from any website directly into the editor window. Some websites won't serve images to another website but other than that restriction it works fine. The only time you need to upload images is if the image only exists on your computer such as a photo you took.

• Reply 25 of 66

I am going to take this opportunity to state, once again as I have in the past (just 'cause I feel like it), that AI has implemented, hands down, the worst commenting forum system I have ever seen since the introduction of the World Wide Web.

It's the worst, Jerry... The worst!

• Reply 26 of 66
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

...and they will ship just after Belkin's Thunderbolt dock becomes available.

-kpluck

• Reply 27 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Do you really have to manually feed the Lightning cable through like that?  No thanks, I'll wait for one which has a passthrough connector to avoid that tedium.

• Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Do you really have to manually feed the Lightning cable through like that?  No thanks, I'll wait for one which has a passthrough connector to avoid that tedium.

I'm wondering if they even have a license to make Lightning cables. They make you use your own cable for the dock and the car charger doesn't sync so perhaps they have manufactured their own pin outs that is reversible since it wouldn't need the authentication chip just for charging. I certainly don't see a Made for iPhone logo on their page.

• Reply 29 of 66
    isaidso wrote: »
    I am going to take this opportunity to state, once again as I have in the past (just 'cause I feel like it), that AI has implemented, hands down, the worst commenting forum system I have ever seen since the introduction of the World Wide Web.
    It's the worst, Jerry... The worst!

It is sucktastic, but for a truly horrible experience, try Gawkers awful Kinja system.
  • Reply 30 of 66

The grey is all that the dock should be. It's just hideous and bloated as-is.

• Reply 31 of 66
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    auxio wrote: »
    Yeah, this dock appears to be a design Belkin is rushing to market based on the leaks ... They probably don't have time to incorporate the actual lightning connector. As such, it really doesn't need to be an official lightning connector, as it actually doesn't need to license anything from Apple. This design could just have easily been used with the 30-pin dock connector.

I absolutely hate the optional 1/8" audio jack. That is a horrible solution to anything, and nothing more than a stop gap measure to rush this disaster to market. I would really hate to have to pull this thing apart after every time I docked my phone.

The fact Belkin has announced this is NOT PROOF the conference has taken place. Since the car charger is the only real Lightning accessory, For which there could be no other solution, bviously Belkin is hedging its bets that it will be able to comply with Apple's guidelines, at least as far as the charger is concerned. The dock is merely designed to give people an option of a dock as soon as possible until Apple streamlines the requirements for new docks. This design most likely will get its own built-in Lightning port following he holidays after the interface has been engineered, and sold in two models ... Budget and deluxe.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

I hope you realize that will never, and should never happen. That's how you grow brand recognition. Why even have a logo if you're not even going to put it on your products?

I would argue that there are many ways to put your logo on your products.  It doesn't have to be big, ugly, and centred on the front of the device.  Additionally, this is not actually how you "grow a brand."  You grow a brand by making great products associated with that brand.  You can put a big logo front and centre on everything you make but if the product isn't good it won't grow the brand.  You can also leave off the logo or put it in a more discrete area and still "grow the brand." 

• Reply 33 of 66
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Edit: Also, I think Thunderbolt would make more sense as the connection choice for peripheral makers.

Based on what (little) I've seen in the market so far, I'm not optimistic. I'm guessing that Thunderbolt must be more expensive to implement than alternative technologies such as USB, because Thunderbolt versions of Lacie drives and Blackmagic Design interfaces cost 25-33% more than otherwise-identical USB3 versions. Then, on top of that, add ANOTHER FIFTY BUCKS PER DEVICE for the damn cable.

Aside from the obvious benefit of daisy-chaining, I can't find an application in my production rig for which USB3 won't do just as well for much lower cost. Sure, TB has four times the bandwidth, but when USB3 already offers twice as much as I can ever imagine actually *needing* there's no tangible advantage.

• Reply 34 of 66

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Aside from the obvious benefit of daisy-chaining, I can't find an application in my production rig for which USB3 won't do just as well for much lower cost.

Move at 10Gbps simultaneously both ways. 640k ought to be enough for anyone.

And you act as though it will always cost this much.

• Reply 35 of 66
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Wondering if that dock will work with the 4th gen iPad as well? Really annoyed Apple didn't make a new one for it.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

LL
    [/quote]

Ah bummer! I thought you'd knew what I meant with that: yes you can simply post a link to the image, but with vBulletin we were able to see the actual URL where the image pointed to. With Huddler, we need to upload the image, in spite of the misleading image you post.

Point, to me, is: we were able to see the URL for the images' origen, and therefore discover sites fellow posters read. But from my brevity I understand no one could've taken my point. Sorry 'bout that.
  • Reply 37 of 66

Point, to me, is: we were able to see the URL for the images' origen, and therefore discover sites fellow posters read. But from my brevity I understand no one could've taken my point. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh, that doesn't happen anymore? I thought you could then travel to the image's own page (each image has a page…) and see the original filename and location. Oh, well.

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Ah bummer! I thought you'd knew what I meant with that: yes you can simply post a link to the image, but with vBulletin we were able to see the actual URL where the image pointed to. With Huddler, we need to upload the image, in spite of the misleading image you post.

• Reply 39 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    thehecta wrote: »

Funny how Apple's iDevices don't have any branding on the front. Before Apple, conventional wisdom had that your brand had to be on the front face of the electronic device.

With this goofy "dock", Belkin is telling us their brand sucks.

auxio wrote: »

Devices with single or dual flash chips don't saturate USB 2.0. Why go to that expense until it does? Also, I don't see TB happening for devices until most computers are shipped with such a connector.
  • Reply 40 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Aside from the obvious benefit of daisy-chaining, I can't find an application in my production rig for which USB3 won't do just as well for much lower cost. Sure, TB has four times the bandwidth, but when USB3 already offers twice as much as I can ever imagine actually *needing* there's no tangible advantage.

The problem with USB is that it has been, and always will be, a computer-centric technology.  Given that it's a standard which Intel is behind, it's not hard to understand why they are pushing it.

The logic to control a USB bus is so complex that it's near impossible to do it in hardware alone (or would require some very expensive silicon).  Hence why you always need to be connected to a computer or computer-like device.  This prohibits the ability to, say, connect a camcorder directly to a TV and stream audio/video to it.

Obviously there's HDMI which can do that, but then you need two connectors: one to get the data off of the device (USB3) and one to stream audio/video to your TV (HDMI).  It would be nice to converge both of those into one connector if possible.