Monthly single-issue DC comics come to Apple's iBookstore

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
DC Entertainment announced on Wednesday that its entire lineup of new titles are now available day-and-date for download via Apple's iBookstore for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

DC

DC's titles are also available from Amazon's Kindle Store, as well as the Barnes & Noble Nook Store. The company's lineup includes characters and series such as Superman, Batman, Justice League, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

The move makes DC the only major comic publisher to offer its entire periodical lineup across all major e-bookstore platforms. Since the launch of its "New 52" lineup, DC's comics have been available digitally on the iPad day-and-date through its own application run by ComiXology, but Wednesday's announcement marks the first time the series have been available on Apple's iBookstore.

"As e-readers and tablets continue to explode in popularity, it's important for us to offer consumers convenience and choice in how they download digital comics and graphic novels, and these new distribution deals with the top three e-bookstores do just that," said Jim Lee, co-publisher, DC Entertainment. "We're very excited to work with Amazon, Apple and Barnes & Noble to bring bestselling DC Comics and Vertigo periodicals to their e-bookstores."

The addition of DC titles further expands the offerings on the iBookstore well beyond its initial start of mostly e-books. Since then, Apple has also placed considerable focus on offering digital textbooks through the iBookstore to push the use of the iPad in classrooms.

While new titles will be available going forward on the iBookstore, some back titles are not yet available on Apple's digital storefront. DC Entertainment Senior Vice President of DIgital Hank Kanalz told CNet that their current absence is a "bandwidth issue," and that older titles should be available on the iBookstore in due time.

As of Wednesday, a total of 70 DC titles are available through the iBookstore, including this week's New 52 superhero books along with some new Vertigo periodical titles. Also available are handful of "digital-first" titles that are available online before print, along with some back issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Batman FTW.
  • Reply 2 of 15

I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner because the purchases you make with the DC app would go through apple thus giving them their 30% cut anyway

• Reply 3 of 15

I wonder if Newsstand might be a better fit?

• Reply 4 of 15

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I wonder if Newsstand might be a better fit?

Newsstand doesn't really have a point, in my opinion. I'd prefer an automatically made sheet metal-backed category—directly in iBooks—for magazines.

• Reply 5 of 15
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Unfortunately, it is unlikely that your grandkids will be able to pay for their college tuition when they find old iBook comics in the attic after 50 years! :-)
  • Reply 6 of 15

Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that your grandkids will be able to pay for their college tuition when they find old iBook comics in the attic after 50 years! :-)

No, but the iPad it's stored on would be worth even more if it still turned on!

• Reply 7 of 15

Seems pretty cool, but I doubt readers will get the same guided reading experience like they do on the official DC app.  After reading comics in the digital "guided" view, I don't think I could ever again deal with zooming around the page myself.

Has anyone bought a DC comic from the iBookstore yet?  I'd be real interested to know if the guided view was part of the experience.

• Reply 8 of 15
    Typo needs correcting.

In second paragraph, second sentence - should be "New 52" instead of "Ne2 52"
  • Reply 9 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    yensid98 wrote: »
    Seems pretty cool, but I doubt readers will get the same guided reading experience like they do on the official DC app.  After reading comics in the digital "guided" view, I don't think I could ever again deal with zooming around the page myself.
    I have to agree with this a bit. So far the comics I've sampled on iBooks have been formatted more like reading a PDF, zooming was bleech, you couldn't really rotate etc. don't have those issues with Comixology. In an ideal world both apps would provide said experience and you mix and match from one set of purchases. But something tells me that will never happen
  • Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Newsstand doesn't really have a point, in my opinion. I'd prefer an automatically made sheet metal-backed category—directly in iBooks—for magazines.

Doesn't have a point at all? Aren't you generous?

But seriously, magazines are in Newsstand. Comics, while not a magazine, come up regularly and lend themselves to ongoing subscription like magazines.

• Reply 11 of 15
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Comic Zeal is the best comic reader out there, iPhone & iPad, its the main reason im getting the iPad mini, huge comic collection :D Woooooo

Love the idea of this, i buy DC comics from a comic shop just so they get more sales, but i prefer reading the digital copies. 

• Reply 12 of 15
    Agreed! They would have to implement a subscription model, but the experience of automatically receiving the comics I desire, all in one place, would be amazing! :)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Note: Inwas agreeing to the Newstand comment. -- Makes more sense than iBooks.
  • Reply 14 of 15

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Doesn't have a point at all?

No, doesn't really have a point. It can easily be folded in with iBooks.

• Reply 15 of 15
    I agree Comixology is better, it's a real shame from my point of view because I really would rather they be in the iBookstore app, but Comixology guided zoom is just incredibly neat.