iPhone 5 reportedly suffers from quick scrolling issue

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Is it only diagonally? I ask because I've noticed it times on tumblr but just always figured it's slow response of the page loading. And with the additional length of the 5 it's loading quite a bit more with each scroll.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Has anybody seen this on the iPhone 4S and 4, like I have(4)
  • Reply 43 of 49

I get this same issue, but it doesn't have to be diagonal, normal quick swiping up and down on my music list also causes it to become unresponsive.

• Reply 44 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Do you actually have a source for this? Because your post doesn't make sense considering that it doesn't happen on the iPhone 4S, which is a dual core system.

I’m a developer, had experience with similar issue, which led to detailed examination on how scrolling works on iPhone. You can’t see it on iPhone 4S in Mail, or other app which is idling when you scroll, but if an app performs some task on main thread (or a task that constantly syncs with main thread) then you likely to get this syncing issue on any iPhone. And this is, indeed, a thread syncing issue by all accounts: main thread is responsible for both animation and user input, so when you get neither (on video scrolling stops and input is ignored) but the app is still running (after a whille scrolling will be unstuck).

In my case, that was fixable within the app. In this case it can be fixed like all thread syncing issues in generic UI component: with iOS update. My guess the culprit here is the higher frame rate on iPhone 5 (If iOS will set it to lower value for scrolling that would be enough) or similar trick, which can be done in an app. Of course, there are proper ways to fix it too. And, there’s a chance it is app-specific, and not every scrolling app affected.

Perhaps I’m not very good at explaining stuff, but still, it should be obvious from what I said above that it has nothing to do with hardware. Think of hardware touch input as of a camera that takes frame every set period of time. If you move finger too quickly before the lens it may not end up on any picture, but that’s all. So, if you are swiping and tapping fingers with superhuman (or monkey) speed some of it will be ignored by the hardware, but it’ll pass the rest of the input to the software, which will interpret it on a higher level.

Hope, it explains things.

• Reply 45 of 49
    viktorcode wrote: »
    I’m a developer, had experience with similar issue, which led to detailed examination on how scrolling works on iPhone. You can’t see it on iPhone 4S in Mail, or other app which is idling when you scroll, but if an app performs some task on main thread (or a task that constantly syncs with main thread) then you likely to get this syncing issue on any iPhone.

See I'm a developer too, with a very low tolerance for bullshit, and your explanation does not address the fact that in the video it happened consistently on both iPhone 5s units but not on either of the iPhone 4Ses, and if you don't have a source for this other than being a developer, I'm sorry to tell you, but your guess here is as valid as anyone else's.
    In my case, that was fixable within the app. In this case it can be fixed like all thread syncing issues in generic UI component: with iOS update. My guess the culprit here is the higher frame rate on iPhone 5 (If iOS will set it to lower value for scrolling that would be enough) or similar trick, which can be done in an app. Of course, there are proper ways to fix it too. And, there’s a chance it is app-specific, and not every scrolling app affected.

Both iPhones display at 60fps, and the frame rate can't affect anything since the rendering is composite, not to mention that no other animations were playing.
  • Reply 46 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

See I'm a developer too, with a very low tolerance for bullshit, and your explanation does not address the fact that in the video it happened consistently on both iPhone 5s units but not on either of the iPhone 4Ses, and if you don't have a source for this other than being a developer, I'm sorry to tell you, but your guess here is as valid as anyone else's.

Both iPhones display at 60fps, and the frame rate can't affect anything since the rendering is composite, not to mention that no other animations were playing.

A developer? Google up UITrackingRunLoopMode and you’ll get the idea what I’m talking about. 

• Reply 47 of 49
    A developer? Google up UITrackingRunLoopMode and you’ll get the idea what I’m talking about. 

I understand what you're talking about; what I don't understand is why it should have any more credit than anyone else's guess.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    This is not a new complaint for an Apple product. My MB 2007 has always gone sporadic scroll crazy and no amount of complaining, checking, fixing or update has ever fixed it. Worst computer I have ever owned from Apple. You don't learn to live with it, you just suffer the unpredictable.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can on the latest update. To me it looks like an intentional circuit breaker response to overload input.

I too noticed this issue with my iPhone 5 when scrolling rapidly through emails, etc. However, after upgrading to 6.0.2 the problem seems to have gone away.