Windows chief Steven Sinofsky leaves Microsoft

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    davesmall wrote: »
    Sinofsky is a major jerk. Microsoft will be better off without him.

Odd how top software development roles have become popularity contest nowadays with Apple and MS.

I hope you are right, but then, I fear John Sculley was much nicer guy than Steve Jobs too. Since this is not a perfect world, every now and then you need a slave driver to move things in big, heavy-on-inertia companies.

I do hope both Apple and MS will do well without their toxic avengers, but I do fear as well. Time will tell.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It's not just the backgrounds MS has chosen to use, it's the colors of the tiles themselves. All of the colors they present have the same intensity, so there's no contrast between them, even though they are different colors. It's like there's no understanding of how the human brain works here. Moreover, unlike the iOS, all of the titles are clustered together, blurring the lines between one tile and the other. They are uniformly square or rectangular, further confusing where one ends and the next begins, so that even if I know where I'm looking, it's hard to immediately focus on what I'm looking for. Adding a "live" tile, or worse multiple live tiles is going to be the equivalent of watching a bank of TVs at a department store after some kid has switched them all to different channels. You're not going to know where to look first as you have multiple source beckoning for your attention.

Now I haven't tried to customize the interface to know what's possible, but even if you can give each box and icon a choice of unlimited custom colors and intensities, there's still the problem of uniform shape clustered together. iOS ran into the problem about three years in, and responded by App grouping, but even that solution is getting a little long in the tooth. However, unlike MS, there is some space between the Apps grid, allowing the eye to easily distinguish between them. And each App has a unique design which helps to immediately identify it. If all the Apps were in identical boxes with a color border, it would be much more difficult, especially if each border could be customized. And ultimately, the Apps are laid out on a grid so that even if you don't recall an Apps icon, you know where to look on the screen. Bottom left, top right, etc. but the tiles on Windows look like a Tetris game -- the tile you're looking for may be bottom left, but embedded somewhere in a cluster of unrelated tiles. The MS interface simultaneously homogenizes and renders inconsistent the tiles, making them incredibly difficult to navigate quickly or easily. Now I don't know if the color choices are customizable or not, but the choices they are making in Redmond suggest either someone is colorblind, or simply has bad taste. If fully customizable, I'm sure businesses around the world are going to be thrilled at the number of hours it's going to consume as each employee adjusts the parameters of each individual tile on the start screen, day after day until they arrive at a pleasing color palette which allows them to "efficiently" do their job. And god help the temp who comes in and tries to navigate an employee's custom setup when they're on vacation or out sick ...

You can arrange tiles how you like, and most apps have an image for icon. You can choose which program to put in the start menu.

That's called choice. You can turn that every way you like, but iOS is far from giving users that freedom.

I think the UI is very user friendly and enticing.

• Reply 123 of 137
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, in the ads I've seen, you don't see it "being used" at all, just a lot of people tossing it around, snapping on their keyboards and popping out their kickstands. Apparently, that's enough fun that once you're done with that, you don't need to do anything else.

So Micro just invented a $500 thing that goes click.....image

Even the ad flogging the "clicking" of the cover is not even original. Apple used that as the centerpiece of their iPad 2 smart cover campaign.....   

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=apple+2+smart+cover+commercial&docid=4864802858205238&mid=E85DF49CF126EB19A64AE85DF49CF126EB19A64A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3

• Reply 124 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You've proven yourself to be a mindless fucking troll, so please just shutup. You're still using the 'enlarged iPod touch' bullshit line? Really? Then you link to a photo creating by an Apple-hating fanatics (you, probably) as your 'proof' of Apple's lack of innovation thats supposed to prove what, exactly? A fucking imaginary tablet from Star Trek, then a WinXP machine, running a desktop OS meant for a mouse and keyboard, with a touchscreen slapped on top, shit battery life, shit touchscreen responsiveness, just to mock the iPad and ignore the reality that it actually DID change everything, regardless of the alternate reality you want to live in? No, the world didn't 'piss itself like n excited  dog' when the iPad was unveiled- it was actually mocked more than it was praised, by short-sighted people such as yourself. Unlike you, most have now learn to respect it, considering the tablet market pretty much IS the iPad now. The fact that you'd trot out a photo like that to prove some kind of point is proof that you're lacking any shred of objectivity, rationality, and are in fact a moron. Star Trek, really? I guess it someone comes up with teleportation it wont be that impressive either, since Star Trek did it 1st.  

I'm not going to shut up at all. The iPad is an enlarged iPod Touch i.m.o. and until you can prove me otherwise it's not a "bullshit line".. I'm not an Apple hater. So what I don't like the iPad, that doesn't make me a hater. I don't like the iPod Shuffle, the new Nano or the iPad; I guess that makes me a hater then. I do like the iMac, MB Pro, MB Air, Mac Mini, iPod Touch and the iPhone but I guess because I don't like 3 Apple products I'm suddenly a hater. Or is it because I use Windows and Mac (hmm, I wonder)..? Is it because I chose to defend a company that's not Apple (such as Microsoft).. Oh my god guys, I support Microsoft too, I must be a Apple hater if I also like Microsoft.. Seriously dude, you sound really retarded for calling me a hater..

"Then you link to a photo creating by an Apple-hating fanatics (you, probably) as your 'proof' of Apple's lack of innovation" When did I ever say that the photo I linked was my proof that it wasn't innovative.. Jesus Christ you really screwed up this time... Now listen carefully. The photo that I linked was to prove that the iPad was NOT the FIRST tablet around and that people who think Microsoft COPIED from Apple are wrong because Apple was not the FIRST company to make a tablet..

"Alternate reality" This coming from the person who believes that a product that's just a bigger version of something else is oh so special.. You're praising a product with little to no innovation but I'm the one who lives in an alternate reality.. Yup, keep talkin'...

"No, the world didn't 'piss itself like n excited  dog' when the iPad was unveiled- it was actually mocked more than it was praised, by short-sighted people such as yourself." Yeah, it was mocked a little bit at first (I remember that) but then the world actually did go crazy for it over time. It's useful for those who like things bigger but other than that what does it do that's different then the iPod Touch..? Instead of just blasting insults try to prove me wrong.

Something you need to learn is that just because I'm an Apple fan doesn't mean that I'm obligated to like every god-damn product that they release and only things that are from Apple... Understand, jeez...

• Reply 125 of 137
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    bettieblue wrote: »
    New installs of Windows are always faster.  Come back here in a year when you have 124 processes running and it takes 8 min for the startup to get to a point where you can actually click on those stupid live tiles.

No.

Since I did an upgrade on top of my Windows 7 Enterprise (which was running from Windows 7 release), and kept all the already installed software... Windows 8 boots much, much faster. My desktop PC boots in about 20 seconds from cold start. If you ignore POST part of boot sequence (which is not OS related), Windows 8 boots easily in half the time Windows 7 took on same configuration and with same software installed.
  • Reply 126 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

No.

Since I did an upgrade on top of my Windows 7 Enterprise (which was running from Windows 7 release), and kept all the already installed software... Windows 8 boots much, much faster. My desktop PC boots in about 20 seconds from cold start. If you ignore POST part of boot sequence (which is not OS related), Windows 8 boots easily in half the time Windows 7 took on same configuration and with same software installed.

That's no feat since Windows 8 doesn't boot the desktop at startup, which is the part where generally craps ware slowdown boot time. 

Don't get me wrong, Windows 8 must be the most optimize windows version ever but It doens't solved any of old Windows issues, giving a dual head UI beast to Windows just suddenly multiplicated problems and confusions for the users

• Reply 127 of 137

I don't usually like theregister but I found this very insightful about WinPhone8, WinRT, Win8 incompatible userland mess and Steven Sinofsky departure:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/13/sinofsky_caligula/

• Reply 128 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I think the UI is very user friendly and enticing.

So is candy from a stranger.

• Reply 129 of 137
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Why isn't MS honest like Apple was about Apple Maps?
    What is MS hiding about Win8 or the Surface?

If it's that silly cloth Surface KB, no problem here!
    I tried it and rejected it in just 3 minutes of use.
  • Reply 130 of 137
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Why isn't MS honest like Apple was about Apple Maps?

What is MS hiding about Win8 or the Surface?

If it's that silly cloth Surface KB, no problem here!

I tried it and rejected it in just 3 minutes of use.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

What did MS mislead you about? You came, you tried, you didn't like. Many people on this forum believe that the Surface RT is a product without a market (I am one of them). Do you expect MS to tell you: umm, we made this thing, but you really don't want it -- why don't you go buy a nice Playbook?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 131 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So is candy from a stranger.

Sadly, Windows is no stranger.

• Reply 132 of 137
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

What did MS mislead you about? You came, you tried, you didn't like. Many people on this forum believe that the Surface RT is a product without a market (I am one of them). Do you expect MS to tell you: umm, we made this thing, but you really don't want it -- why don't you go buy a nice Playbook?

MS said it's better the iPad.  Oh my, they'll say anything.

Yes I did get a BB PB at a very low price. Even lower recently!

Actually it's hardware is OK, except for the tiny power on button.   Nice screen.

Unfortunately the BB PB's SW is a POS.

Both RIM's and user PB SW is sub standard compared to the Apple idevice and android SW.

• Reply 133 of 137

Quote:

M$ vision of Windows is misleading, surfing on compatibility assumption by the public, they deliberately giving Windows brand to completely different and incompatible products and they don't care to clear this out.

Right now, Window Phone 7.5, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT and Windows 8 are 4 separated and incompatible userland for developers.

• Reply 134 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

M$ vision of Windows is misleading, surfing on compatibility assumption by the public, they deliberately giving Windows brand to completely different and incompatible products and they don't care to clear this out.

Right now, Window Phone 7.5, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT and Windows 8 are 4 separated and incompatible userland for developers.

This is true, but (fortunately for all those concerned) fairly obvious to all, so whatever efforts MS made to mislead have failed. But again, what do you expect them to say? We are trying stuff out, lay off buying any of our new products for another couple of years? This is a little difficult, much more difficult than Tim Cook's "Our Maps suck a bit, sorry, but I hear Waze is pretty nice..."

• Reply 135 of 137

Quote:

This is true, but (fortunately for all those concerned) fairly obvious to all, so whatever efforts MS made to mislead have failed. But again, what do you expect them to say? We are trying stuff out, lay off buying any of our new products for another couple of years? This is a little difficult, much more difficult than Tim Cook's "Our Maps suck a bit, sorry, but I hear Waze is pretty nice..."

Sadly, I don't expect much from Microsoft but they should have done their homework's like Apple as done with iOS.  Apple approach with the first iPhone like the original Mac was to bring to market an extremely refine but limited product at first. Unlike Microsoft, they announce new features when they are ready, they doesn't built up expectation on things the device doesn't do yet.

I still doesn't understand Windows RT approach.  Apple has followed the sane way, giving the same OSX userland to iOS while stripping down the OS and giving a new UI crafted for touch input.  Microsoft on the other side, as recompile the whole OS, keeps about the same weight of desktop version of Windows (over 9GB), keeps the Mouse and Keyboard oriented UI only for running Office and breaking all compatibility with legacy apps. Meanwhile,  what Microsoft as done with Windows 8 is even more absurd, they promoted the Touch UI as the first class citizen and relegated the Desktop UI to second class. 

• Reply 136 of 137

He wasn't fired.

He was defenestrated.

• Reply 137 of 137

Originally Posted by publiclee View Post

He wasn't fired.

He was defenestrated.

This needs to be in a place where more people can see it. This is great.