LTE-capable iPad mini deliveries begin arriving

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
iPad mini units with 4G LTE connectivity began arriving to customers from Apple's online store on Thursday, a day earlier than expected.

LTE

AppleInsider reader Alex Sian was one of a number of customers who received their LTE-capable iPad mini on Thursday, a day before many orders are scheduled to arrive. His device, compatible with the Verizon network, was ordered from Apple's online store.

Apple first began shipping LTE-capable iPad models on Tuesday, with scheduled delivery dates of Friday. But some customers have begun receiving their shipments early.

Customers began receiving word last week that iPad mini with LTE orders would ship within five business days. iPad mini models with mobile data were originally advertised by Apple to begin shipping in "a few weeks," but a specific launch date was not given.

The Wi-Fi-only iPad mini was the first model to debut earlier this month, alongside the new fourth-generation iPad. Total sales of the new devices reached 3 million units in their first three days.

In addition to direct sales through Apple, the new iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are also available through AppleInsider sponsor MacMall by calling 888-338-6102 or visiting their website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Can anyone who received a white LTE iPad mini confirm the colour of the plastic insert on the back?

Up until today there hasn't been a single image of the white LTE iPad mini on Apple's site or anywhere else. I am curious as to whether this means the insert isn't black, or is a new colour.

The only pic I've seen is blurry and makes it look like it's a *grey* insert on the white iPad mini, but it's hard to be certain.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    my verizon white unit just arrived, but my ATT black ordered at the same time has been "in shipping" for days :(
  • Reply 3 of 21
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    my verizon white unit just arrived, but my ATT black ordered at the same time has been "in shipping" for days :(

Why two, and why different carriers?
  • Reply 4 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why two, and why different carriers?

one for me to 'replace my iPad3), and white for the Wife - to match her iPhone. I have family & a business - so the iPad 3 will not be consigned to a drawer. I am hoping I can switch my ATT unlimited to the new mini

we were a verizon family, and verizon at work, but i jumped ship when first iPhone came out, despite ATT coverage being inferior in this area - the wife refused to carry a phone that would not get calls half the time (go figure) so now we have 4 iPhones on Verizon, and 4 on ATT - and its fine as long as i dont talk to the wife for too long :)

• Reply 5 of 21

Too bad this only covers US customers and none of the customers in the rest of the world.  Time for someone to see how cellular usuage affects the longer than expected battery life of the mini.

• Reply 6 of 21
    Received mine this morning, quick call into Verizon to get it swapped with my current 4G hotspot, very happy with Apple and Verizon! :D
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

This is crazy. I'm tracking my iPad mini on FedEx. It went from SHANGHAI CN to ANCHORAGE, AK then back to SHANGHAI CN then to MEMPHIS, TN and now it is on its way to NARITA-SHI JP (Japan) . Somehow it is supposed to be delivered in California on Monday.

• Reply 8 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This is crazy. I'm tracking my iPad mini on FedEx. It went from SHANGHAI CN to ANCHORAGE, AK then back to SHANGHAI CN then to MEMPHIS, TN and now it is on its way to NARITA-SHI JP (Japan) . Somehow it is supposed to be delivered in California on Monday.

you should be able to register your iPad for frequent flyer miles ;-)

• Reply 9 of 21
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Since it would be foolish to send it back to Shanghai, I think you're talking about two iPad minis in reality.  Perhaps the one initially shipped was broken/stolen/lost and they shipped another (although that doesn't explain why the second one is heading to Japan). 

• Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Since it would be foolish to send it back to Shanghai, I think you're talking about two iPad minis in reality.  Perhaps the one initially shipped was broken/stolen/lost and they shipped another (although that doesn't explain why the second one is heading to Japan). 

I don't know...If that were the case it would probably have a different tracking number I would think.

There are people on the Apple support forum who back in Feb 2012 were seeing almost the exact same shipping routes minus the stop in Memphis.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3715441?start=0&tstart=0

I know it sounds nutty but I'm wondering if they really don't care how much jet fuel they use and they are processing various procedures in their major logistics plants around the world. I'm just guessing but perhaps they start out in huge shipping containers and then get sorted out incrementally until they have a pallet with just the iPads for my FedEx driver. Since the whole process is automated it apparently goes to wherever the specialized sorting facility is located. It sounds nuts but I'm having a difficult time trying to come up with a rational explanation.

• Reply 11 of 21
    Got mine about 11:30 a.m. A day earlier than Apple promised, and 4 days earlier than FedEx promised. Happy camper.

It took a while to configure from the data on my 32GB iPad2. Back, restore, review, etc. Then clean up iPad2 for other members of family to use.

And yes, the Retina display is a noticeable improvement over the iPad2 display -- easier on the old eyes.
  • Reply 12 of 21

Quote:

You're reading the tracking wrong. Looks confusing but times are "local" which means some entries show they've arrived before they've left. 

• Reply 13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

You're reading the tracking wrong. 

Spoken like SJ himself image Actually I am probably reading it wrong. I learned on another site that Apple is submitting import export documents electronically which sends messages to various FedEx departments and they appear in the shipping records. In all likelihood the package is in Memphis and the 'in transit' descriptions are simply displaying the current status of the package whenever documents are sent. The only lines to pay attention to are the departed and arrivals.

- 

11/15/2012  -  Thursday

11:47 am

In transit

NARITA-SHI JP

11:18 am

In transit

MEMPHIS, TN

Package available for clearance

10:21 am

Arrived at FedEx location

MEMPHIS, TN

4:54 am

In transit

SHANGHAI CN

1:51 am

In transit

SHANGHAI CN

1:50 am

International shipment release - Import

SHANGHAI CN

1:38 am

Departed FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK

- 

11/14/2012  -  Wednesday

11:59 pm

Arrived at FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK

10:00 pm

At local FedEx facility

SHANGHAI CN

- 

11/13/2012  -  Tuesday

7:37 pm

Left FedEx origin facility

SHANGHAI CN

5:52 pm

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff

4:42 am

Shipment information sent to FedEx

• Reply 14 of 21
    I got my order into the Apple Store by 12:04, but I guess that since it was an AT&T model, I won't get it until next week ... ;-(
  • Reply 15 of 21
    I received my 16B white LTE iPad mini today - a day earlier than expected. I also just received my 16GB black 4th gen iPad today which wasn't due to arrive until Monday! Very happy. :D
  • Reply 16 of 21
    yaliyali Posts: 12member
    test
  • Reply 17 of 21

My first post was lost. 

I was the first one to preorder iPad mini with LTE online, and it still days from delivering, very disappointed. as it is still sitting at the other side of the earth:

Ship (P/U) date :

Wed 11/14/2012 4:04 pm

SHANGHAI

CN

In transit

At local FedEx facility

SHANGHAI, CN

Estimated delivery :

Tues 11/20/2012 4:30 pm

Request NotificationsHold at FedEx LocationObtain Proof of Delivery

More actions #

Travel History

Help

Date/Time

Activity

- 

11/15/2012  -  Thursday

10:00 pm

At local FedEx facility

SHANGHAI CN

- 

11/14/2012  -  Wednesday

5:16 pm

Left FedEx origin facility

SHANGHAI CN

4:04 pm

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff

- 

11/13/2012  -  Tuesday

9:29 am

Shipment information sent to FedEx

• Reply 18 of 21

test again after a longer post

• Reply 19 of 21

longer post got lost. very disappointed

• Reply 20 of 21

I was the first to preorder online the iPad mini with LTE, it is still sitting at the other side of the earth, expected delivery time is next Tuesday!