Nokia's dedicated 'Here' maps app hits the iOS App Store

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 57
    ecs wrote: »
    From a user point of view, having several Maps apps is a loss of time and also increases the risk of cluttering. The way Apple should have fight against Google Maps is exactly the way they dropped PowerPC: They only released Intel support when it was 100% ready and it matched all the 100% of functionality of the PowerPC versions. For maps, they should have followed the same approach: develop Apple Maps in secret, until it matches -or surpasses- the 100% of Google Maps functionality, and in the mean time continue supporting Google Maps as the official maps app for iOS. Then, one morning you announce Apple Maps, and the same afternoon the app is ready for download. End of story. That's the way Apple always played these games, and that's how they should have done it now.

    Instead, they argued you had lots of maps apps as alternatives to Apple Maps and Google Maps. That's bad, you don't need cluttering alternatives, you want Google Maps, and -when it's ready-, Apple Maps. Just keep it simple.

    Now let's wait until we also get Sony Maps, McDonalds Maps, and Barbie Maps.

    I guess that you never read that Maps apps, regardless of who makes them, NEED user interaction in order to improve. Google has a 10 year head start, 5 years on iOS, with all the data that they have collected.

    No Map app is going to reach Google's level of expertise, if people don't use them. So as user, if you like competition to force Map app makers to improve, please try various Map apps.

    BTW
    Did you you miss the 680x0 to PowerPC transition, where it took time for many app developers to optimize code for the faster PPC platform.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amoradala View Post



    Try this test: type the word 'shill' into your browser.

    Wiki definition sound right ?

     

    Yeah, sure, I'm a lying and there are actually STREETS in Apple Maps if you go to Cayman Islands, right?
  • Reply 23 of 57


    Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

    That's some thorough review you did there...


     


    I'm sorry, what part of "it only matters if it works for me" is unclear?

  • Reply 24 of 57
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,512member


    Their data is probably impressive, but their maps are ugly.


    Can someone tell me if it updates the search results as you pan around the map? That's one feature Maps is lacking.

  • Reply 25 of 57


    No Integration with Contacts??? Pretty useless if you ask me Charlie. I stay with iOS Maps and Waze.

  • Reply 26 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post



    Apple maps, look nicer, apple maps feels more polished. but nokia maps actually has the correct data. mean while applemaps is off target by close to 100km. So yeah apple maps sucks ass where i live compared to nokia and the old google app. I dont give a shit that apples offering works flawless in some US major city 15000km away. What bothers me is the shit experience I am having with where I need to use maps. Which the previous offering by google still solves better

    than anyone. I also dont care for the hacky HTML street view which is inferior to the google app for the way i want to use maps.

    I don't like it when a company removes a feature that I paid for and really like. I really dont care if 100000 other people love the new app. When I pay for something I like with my money and its removed its all about me!


     


    Re: bolded--


     


    It was well documented that the new Apple Maps was loosing streetview.  If this is a critical feature for you; frankly, you shouldn't have upgraded.  Period. End of story.  Apple isn't forcing anyone to upgrade.  If you stuck with iOS 5, it would've performed exactly as it did the day before.


     


    It's getting tiring listening to a few people gripe about the lack of streetview.  Two words: don't upgrade.  The new Maps represents the biggest change in iOS, there frankly isn't all that much more that you'd be missing by not upgrading.

  • Reply 27 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kermit262 View Post



    Don't plan to even give it a try. Very happy with Apple Maps.


    +1


     


    I'm certainly not denying others that find shortcomings with Maps but I love it. I won't be installing this nor Google Maps if/when it's available.

  • Reply 28 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ecs View Post


    From a user point of view, having several Maps apps is a loss of time and also increases the risk of cluttering. The way Apple should have fight against Google Maps is exactly the way they dropped PowerPC: They only released Intel support when it was 100% ready and it matched all the 100% of functionality of the PowerPC versions. For maps, they should have followed the same approach: develop Apple Maps in secret, until it matches -or surpasses- the 100% of Google Maps functionality, and in the mean time continue supporting Google Maps as the official maps app for iOS. Then, one morning you announce Apple Maps, and the same afternoon the app is ready for download. End of story. That's the way Apple always played these games, and that's how they should have done it now.


     


    Instead, they argued you had lots of maps apps as alternatives to Apple Maps and Google Maps. That's bad, you don't need cluttering alternatives, you want Google Maps, and -when it's ready-, Apple Maps. Just keep it simple.


     


    Now let's wait until we also get Sony Maps, McDonalds Maps, and Barbie Maps.



     


    Got it!


     


     


    image

  • Reply 29 of 57


    I don't know what you are looking at, but the graphics on this Nokia app are scary...low res bit mapped graphics, the app is slow, it functions like a web app, isn't attractive, tapping with two fingers doesn't even zoom out...too hard to navigate.  The Apple map app looks first class by comparison.  I do hate losing street view, but the Google app is a solution to this.  Once Apple gets all the kinks out of the Maps app it will be above all the rest...it works better than the Nokia app now.


    I guess Nokia regrets all the lost time it spent laughing during their official response when asked about the first iPhone...should have been doing research instead of wasting their precious time, now they are practically history.

  • Reply 30 of 57
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ecs View Post


    From a user point of view, having several Maps apps is a loss of time and also increases the risk of cluttering. The way Apple should have fight against Google Maps is exactly the way they dropped PowerPC: They only released Intel support when it was 100% ready and it matched all the 100% of functionality of the PowerPC versions. For maps, they should have followed the same approach: develop Apple Maps in secret, until it matches -or surpasses- the 100% of Google Maps functionality, and in the mean time continue supporting Google Maps as the official maps app for iOS. Then, one morning you announce Apple Maps, and the same afternoon the app is ready for download. End of story. That's the way Apple always played these games, and that's how they should have done it now.



     


     


    This view lacks an understanding of how great maps are created. Maps require a lot of data. It would be very hard for Apple to create a great map application while keeping it secret. Perhaps you remember when Apple first released OSX. It was slow and buggy as hell. Yet, after six months Apple released a version 10.1, which was a huge fix.  Sometimes you just have to ship the product to put it in users hands, and then fix the bugs based on feedback. Now OSX is a great OS. You can also point to Final Cut Pro X, where it built the app from the ground up, but left out a lot of features. People gave criticisms, and Apple quickly addressed the complaints and now it is becoming a great application as well. 


     


    Maps really rely on public data. The only thing Apple did wrong was not declare the product a beta out the gate. Apple should of from the git go issued a statement highlighting the great features of Maps - turn-by turn, vector graphics, speed, etc. Then is should have said the product was currently a beta, and told everybody there would be some errors in mapping data, but with community input the errors would be corrected quickly. 


     


    Apple made the right decision in ditching Google. I for one never used the Google based Maps App. It stunk with no turn by turn. Mapquests free app is better. I paid for Navigon, but now use Apple's Maps. Apple knows most people are going to use Apple's Maps because for most people they are a big improvement over what Google was offering before. . Moreover, Apple  needs the user data to quickly make it better, and it has forced Google to provide a better Maps App than it was offering Apple without having to give Google anything. 

  • Reply 31 of 57


    HERE --> Tried it out and didn't like it one single bit!!!!


     


    Then... (after completely abandoning Apple's native map app for weeks) went back to Maps to make comparisons and was amazed on how much the maps had improved in my area!!!! YAY!!!! :-) :-) :-)


     


    Maps is finally Apple worthy!!!!

  • Reply 32 of 57
    It makes Apples app look good.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    gibby wrote: »
    I don't know what you are looking at, but the graphics on this Nokia app are scary...low res bit mapped graphics, the app is slow, it functions like a web app, isn't attractive, tapping with two fingers doesn't even zoom out...too hard to navigate.

    I'm looking at an app that actually works as advertised, has plenty of information in my area including traffic and spoken walking directions, and can be pre-cached. I care about functionality, not bling.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post




    I care about functionality, not bling.



    You can't beat Apple Maps for functionality. Despite the inaccuracies and poor satellite imagery, it is integrated into iOS like no third party app is allowed to be. It is also integrated with Siri and provides other apps with a framework to access MapKit, making it clearly the most functional of all Map apps. Just as Google has the upper hand in data due to their search business, Apple will ultimately have a better user experience due to their core iOS integration - that is once they fix some of the shortcommings. I do like Apple's 3D models of buildings quite a lot, but the satellite imagery could be a lot better in my opinion.


     


    I don't think I'll bother with Nokia 'Here' but I might try Google Maps once released. For now I get my transit info and any high-res imagery I need from the web version.

  • Reply 35 of 57
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Even though i can't find anything at all on Apple maps i hate everything else and i realise that i LOVE Apple maps.
  • Reply 36 of 57

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    If you don't understand it, you are hopeless.



    Condescension only works when someone smart is saying something so clearly superior and others are really not getting it. What you say and how you say it is never superior. You are not smart enough. Save it or you just look like a Kia owner tossing his keys to a valet.

  • Reply 37 of 57
    _rick_v_ wrote: »
    Re: bolded--

    It was well documented that the new Apple Maps was loosing streetview.  If this is a critical feature for you; frankly, you shouldn't have upgraded.  Period. End of story.  Apple isn't forcing anyone to upgrade.  If you stuck with iOS 5, it would've performed exactly as it did the day before.

    It's getting tiring listening to a few people gripe about the lack of streetview.  Two words: don't upgrade.  The new Maps represents the biggest change in iOS, there frankly isn't all that much more that you'd be missing by not upgrading.

    I have not upgraded my iPhone but have tried the apple maps on my iPad mini. Here is the problem with what you are saying updates to more and more of my apps require iOS 6, so my choice is to keep google maps and have no more upgrades to any of my software or upgrade and loose functionality.

    If you cant understand how that is not a good thing well, you cant fix stupid. Either way google will release its superrior mapping app at which point I can upgrade. Five years down the road apple will have decent data and the google maps up will be redundant.

    More than likely apple will be irrelevant like microsoft and we will hate on whoever is not using whatever we decided to buy.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    mstone wrote: »
    You can't beat Apple Maps for functionality. Despite the inaccuracies and poor satellite imagery, it is integrated into iOS like no third party app is allowed to be.

    I have Google Maps for that (still using iOS 5.1.1), and my use of apps doesn't have to be mutually exclusive (except in the case of Apple Maps because they forced me to make a choice).

    How's that relevant when I can't even trust the data? The thing about both Nokia and Google Maps for me is that I trust both of them to provide me with consistently accurate information everywhere in the world. I don't need maps to find my way around where I live; I need maps to find my way around in places that I am not familiar with, and I simply don't trust Apple for that. Nokia's app's ability to pre-cache maps, for example, is extremely reassuring, because it guarantees me that I will have map data even if cell coverage fails, and it guarantees me that if I travel abroad and disable cellular data (because it's expensive in roaming) I can still use maps.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

    How's that relevant when I can't even trust the data? The thing about both Nokia and Google Maps for me is that I trust both of them to provide me with consistently accurate information everywhere in the world. I don't need maps to find my way around where I live; I need maps to find my way around in places that I am not familiar with, and I simply don't trust Apple for that. Nokia's app's ability to pre-cache maps, for example, is extremely reassuring, because it guarantees me that I will have map data even if cell coverage fails, and it guarantees me that if I travel abroad and disable cellular data (because it's expensive in roaming) I can still use maps.


    Here is a test I made. I have mentioned this before that "Apple Store Fashion Island" shows up in the wrong location in Google Maps which pins it where it used to be 2+ years ago. I have submitted a correction but it is still in the same wrong spot. When Apple Maps first came out it also displayed the same incorrect location. I submitted the correction and it was fixed a couple weeks. Just recently, I tried the same search on the Nokia web based map and it pins the store in a completely different location twice as far off as Google and in a location that the Apple store has never been located. In this particular instance Apple Maps is the only correct map. I always test map data around locations I am familiar with to get a sense of the accuracy. 


     


    As far as not having cell coverage, I can understand that and if I was concerned about it I would carry my dedicated GPS, but I'm not worried since I have my iPad and I always use a local sim when abroad. I have not been without cell coverage in a very, very long time.

  • Reply 40 of 57
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member


    Tried it today, but was disappointed. Nokia may have better data worldwide, but the Apple App is so much better executed.


     


    So I'm sticking with OS 5 on my iPhone 4s until either Nokia improves the App, or Apple it's data, or Google comes up with a decent solution.


     


    The old Apple App on Google data works best for me just now.

Sign In or Register to comment.