Users report dead Apple TVs after installing software update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Are you really going to ask the poster to provide evidence of 1) something that is obvious, and 2) you can find yourself by doing a simple Internet search. Whenever you jailbreak your iOS device, you run the risk of bricking it especially if you update. I have two iPhones in the family, and both are jailbroken. The number one rule of jailbreaking is you don't upgrade until the jailbreaking community gives the OK. 

That doesn't mean the people who have bricked devices jailbroke their devices, but it is something to consider. 

Well that was my whole point.  I don't see how you missed it.  The poster directly implied by the posting that jailbreaking was at the root of the problem.  That's what I was asking for "evidence" of.  

It appears that there isn't at all and the statement was made just to gin up the forum.  

• Reply 22 of 61

My Apple TV died not too long ago without an update. It won't connect to my network by ethernet. And when I unplug the ethernet to connect wirelessly, it still thinks the ethernet cord is plugged in so it won't do wireless. I've reset it and restarted it and tried setting the time/date and such. When I took it to the Apple store it worked perfectly.

I have no idea what the problem is but it's too old to be replaced under warranty.

• Reply 23 of 61

My aTV 3 has been fine after updating. Same on my father in law's.  Hope they get that one fixed for those affected

• Reply 24 of 61
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    3 units all updated without a hitch. The unit in my living room gets used for about 5-6 hours per evening for streaming shows and airplay. It's pretty much been bulletproof.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Jail Broken AppleTV may break after an update.

What does this have to do with the article?

• Reply 26 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

To me this, like backing up your data, falls into taking ownership of your stuff. If they tell you to make sure the power isn't turned off and you know your dog/toddle likes to pull things then don't do it until the kid is asleep and the dog is outside. If you are going to jailbreak, own it and know the issues tht could happen and so on.

Brown outs and bugs happen, can't be helped but certainly kids etc are your responsibility to deal with.

Not sure why people keep bringing up jailbreaking in this thread, the bricking has nothing to do with it. I'll agree, if you jailbreak and brick your device, that is on you.

The issue is with the fact that any update with the current system configuration seems to still have a finite chance of bricking a system. The Apple TV is supposed to be a consumer electronics device. If a simple update can break the system, that is a failure of the device in design. My point (which you ignore), is that it's easy to build in protection against the kinds of events that lead to bricking. It's got nothing to do with "ownership of your stuff" because the fact is this update is apparently bricking AppleTVs through no fault of the owner.

• Reply 27 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

All I can say is both my version 2 and the version 3 Apple TVs upgraded and ran fine after all updates so far.

Not sure why that was post-worthy. It's clear that some (not all) users are having problems. No one posts a story that says "Hey this product is working, just wanted to let you know."

• Reply 28 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Not sure why that was post-worthy. It's clear that some (not all) users are having problems. No one posts a story that says "Hey this product is working, just wanted to let you know."

It's as post worthy as your "correction" i suppose...

• Reply 29 of 61
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    dr_lha wrote: »
    With consumer electronics increasingly subject to firmware updates, the chances of "bricking" a device seems to grow higher and higher. I updated my Apple TV to 5.1 with success, but I'm guessing there are many reasons why an update can go wrong.
    The solution to this is pretty simple: Apple and others need to designed firmware update techniques that are non-destructive if the worse happens. Warnings that "unplugging the device in the middle of an update may make the device inoperable" are not excusable in this day and age. Power-cuts happen, toddlers happen, stupid people happen, and random bugs happen.
    A simple on-boot checksumming of the firmware to check it's validly written, and fail-over to a permanent copy of an old version of the OS should be standard these days. I don't understand why "bricking" should be an issue any more, other than cutting corners and cost.

After multiple updates my 3GS still works great.

Why don't you apply for a job at Apple and teach them what to do.
  • Reply 30 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No problems at all with two 2nd Gen AppleTVs, and the software was updated months ago, when released in September. All 3rd Gen units are still under warranty, but the morons complaining don't know how to take them in for warranty service. But you can't fix stupid.

Stupid would be sticking up for a company regardless of what problems they create. I love Apple just as much as the next person, but what would Apple have to do for some of you people to actually get pissed? I'm having problems with this TV update and under a tight schedule where I can't just simply drop everything and bring it into the store, so forgive me for being frustrated. 

• Reply 31 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What I love in these cases is the number of folks that gripe on the boards on apple.com but when asked haven't taken it in for service

Things break, no matter who made them. It's part of life. The important part is how that break is handling. Apple generally has good service, as long as you follow the rules and don't act like a douche. I can't say the same about all companies

Many people do not live close enough to an Apple Store that an in person visit is practical. If you are out of the warranty period, get ready for disappointment when calling.

-kpluck

• Reply 32 of 61

Wonder where Tallest Skill is to say it's FUD, that it affects only 0,000001% of the installed base, that the devices were jailbroken, ....

WAKE UP, PLEASE and smash them trolls and whiners

• Reply 33 of 61
    Hmmm. This explains the weirdness I experienced. I thought it bricked since I got a white light, but black screen. After giving it MORE than ample time to complete the process, I ended up unplugging it. At least twice. It finally came to life on the third try, but wouldn't connect to my network...at first...but, several minutes later it decided all was good in the hood. No problems since then.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

True, but there is different methods of jailbreaking. I agree though that the Apple TV is woefully inadequate especially in relation to the XBox 360, Roku, and now even the Google TV boxes. The 360 just added web browsing. Roku has a million channels, and it only costs $50. 

Apple should have had an Apple TV app store a long time ago. The only explanation would be that maybe Apple has something better in the works. The Apple TV should at least have messages, email, and safari. It seems a no brainer to bring games using an iPad/iPhone as the controller. 

why in the world do you want all these apps installed on an Apple TV when all you have to do is run them on your iPad and mirror the screen image via ATV instead? any app's UI on the iPad is far far superior to anything you could do with only an STB. you've got it all upside down.

• Reply 35 of 61
    Slow news day?
  • Reply 36 of 61

Blame Scott.

• Reply 37 of 61
    No problems here with updating my 3rd generation Apple TV and it is working flawlessly. I can't see how so many units would respond differently than others.
  • Reply 38 of 61

What is up with Apples quality control center these days? The Macbook Pro and retina update 2.0 made many users laptops inoperable and now this update does the same to Apple TV. 

• Reply 39 of 61

No Issues on my 2 Gen 2 Apple TVs

• Reply 40 of 61
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

charlituna View Post

What I love in these cases is the number of folks that gripe on the boards on apple.com but when asked haven't taken it in for service

Things break, no matter who made them. It's part of life. The important part is how that break is handling. Apple generally has good service, as long as you follow the rules and don't act like a douche. I can't say the same about all companies

I have to drive for an hour and change to reach my closest Apple store. If this problem was caused by a patch that can be done at home, it's not unreasonable to expect a fix applied the same way.