Buying Advice: Mac Mini vs. iMac (2012)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38

Bergermeister...

I noticed you do a little Adobe CS work with your Mini. Are you using CS6? Do you feel the graphics processor is capable enough? Thanks!

• Reply 22 of 38

I don't have the mini attached to a display, so I don't know about the graphics capabilities.  It's a rendering and burning machine.

It is accessed wirelessly from an iMac using screen share.  I send files over, open them up and set it to render, then bring the results back over.  CS6 is on the iMac; Encore outputs to the iMac and then I move the disc image over for burning.

That's my workflow right now. 

• Reply 23 of 38

Still waiting for my new iMac.  Dropped by the shop this morning and they said that Apple Japan is on holiday until the 7th (New Year's is a pretty important holiday here) so there will be no action on BTO units until after the weekend.

Most people in Japan though went back to work today, Friday the 4th.

• Reply 24 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post

Bergermeister...

I noticed you do a little Adobe CS work with your Mini. Are you using CS6? Do you feel the graphics processor is capable enough? Thanks!

My old PPC Mac was a decent Photoshop machine.  

I'm sure the Fusion powred Mini with plenty of ram will be a very decent Photoshop machine.  It should fly.

If in doubt...wait for the gpu oompth of Haswell.

Or just buy the low end iMac with Fusion and you get a discrete gpu.

My top end iMac is being processing.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 25 of 38
    amg1amg1 Posts: 1member

I am also considering buying a mini instead of the iMac.   One thing I would like to do is to buy two monitors for the mini.  Any advice on what to get?  

• Reply 26 of 38

Originally Posted by amg1 View Post

One thing I would like to do is to buy two monitors for the mini.  Any advice on what to get?  

Anything, really. The quality of monitor you need depends on the work that you do.

• Reply 27 of 38

I would love to here about your comparison and how it all worked out!

I'm about to purchase the Mac mini for Purely graphics work as a primary machine.

Yea the New mini hase the new i7 processor and the thunderbolt so I think this would help.

My primary concern is the Graphics card..

• Reply 28 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rispent View Post

I would love to here about your comparison and how it all worked out!

I'm about to purchase the Mac mini for Purely graphics work as a primary machine.

Yea the New mini hase the new i7 processor and the thunderbolt so I think this would help.

My primary concern is the Graphics card..

I got the new 2012 mac mini with CS5 suite installed, no problems at all.  Works great, and its nice having dual matching monitors. 

• Reply 29 of 38

Finally got my iMac after a very long wait.  Should be able to get some testing done over the next couple of days.

• Reply 30 of 38

Been following this string and looking forward to the comparison.  Just bought a loaded mini and have a Thunderbolt 27 to go with it. I was wondering if the graphic chip variance between the MINI and IMAC will make much of a significant difference with Photoshop use and any other apps...

• Reply 31 of 38
    nedrick wrote: »
    <p> Really appreciate your hands-on knowledge! Glad to hear the speed is good.</p><p>  </p><p> From what you've done so far, do you feel it COULD be a capable primary machine? Like I said, I really don't do a lot of video editing -- mainly print/web design.</p><p>  </p><p> Saving $500-$700 is a big deal for me, but if buying a 27" iMac means I would have a more capable machine in the long-run, I'd definitely consider it...</p>

Bought the iMac 27, hopefully, I won't have to buy a new computer for a very long time. Upgrading from 2004 Dell PC LOL!!!
  • Reply 32 of 38

I'm back! I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. There are some good deals on Apple's refurb store -- esp. the 2.3 i7 (1TB Fusion) Mac Mini at $900. I could find a quality 24" monitor for around $300, add some RAM and have a nice new Mac/monitor for around $1,300. 

Given that I use Adobe CS5 apps on a regular basis, do you think I'd be on the right track with this system? Thanks!

• Reply 33 of 38

Quote:

I'm back! I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. There are some good deals on Apple's refurb store -- esp. the 2.3 i7 (1TB Fusion) Mac Mini at $900. I could find a quality 24" monitor for around $300, add some RAM and have a nice new Mac/monitor for around $1,300. 

Given that I use Adobe CS5 apps on a regular basis, do you think I'd be on the right track with this system? Thanks!

Sounds good to me, I use CS5 too, but on an i5 really have no problems.  I say go for dual monitors too.   And if you ever notice the system slowing, just open the terminal and type "purge" frees up ram when you're working on heavy projects.  Good luck man! 

• Reply 34 of 38

You think the Mini has enough graphics power? I'm afraid of running into the lag I already deal with on my 2007 iMac.

• Reply 35 of 38
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

You think the Mini has enough graphics power? I'm afraid of running into the lag I already deal with on my 2007 iMac.

What do graphics have to do with any of the software you listed? Indesign doesn't really use it. Illustrator doesn't really use it. Photoshop only cares how much memory you have. If you look up gpu benchmarks on something like barefeats, you'll notice that they basically drag race it. When was the last time your work was slowed down by liquify or iris blur rendering time. If never, don't worry about it. Just load up with ram either way.

• Reply 36 of 38
    nedricknedrick Posts: 65member

Hmm... mostly InDesign, basic Photoshop work and occasional Illustrator with a sprinkling of Dreamweaver and rarely iMovie or Final Cut Express.

I feel much more confident moving forward with the Mini -- thanks everyone!

• Reply 37 of 38
    I have been following this string, and I think that for basic photoshop, the mini will be ok. Video editing would be limited, but you indicated that you only do a little of this. As far as monitors, I suggest you that a look at monoprice.com. They sell a 27" IPS monitor that uses same led panel as Apple, that outputs same resolution, at about half the price of Apple's 27"monitor. It uses display port, and they sell the mini Displayport to display port adapters too. (If you use HDMI, you are limited to 1080 resolution)
  • Reply 38 of 38
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroginold View Post

I have been following this string, and I think that for basic photoshop, the mini will be ok. Video editing would be limited, but you indicated that you only do a little of this. As far as monitors, I suggest you that a look at monoprice.com. They sell a 27" IPS monitor that uses same led panel as Apple, that outputs same resolution, at about half the price of Apple's 27"monitor. It uses display port, and they sell the mini Displayport to display port adapters too. (If you use HDMI, you are limited to 1080 resolution)

He mentioned final cut pro express which doesn't use it. If he said Premiere, that uses the gpu for playback and possibly a couple other things assuming CUDA support and adequate video memory. Adobe gives a list of certified gpus here. Those are specifically for Premiere. FCPX seems to make limited use of it. Final Cut Express was the old one, which I thought wasn't supported under Mountain Lion. I could be wrong. GPGPU has been hyped for years, and it can really speed specific things up where it's fully implemented. It's just not much of a consideration unless the software in question makes significant use of it, which isn't really the case with the OP's apps. There are various good displays. With the OP's use, I wouldn't suggest a shiny thunderbolt display. Reflections are too distracting. The new imac screen treatments are supposed to be significantly better in terms of reflectivity, but there are plenty of other equivalent or better displays out there. As for photoshop, there are very few use cases where you really couldn't use a Mini. Most people seem to regard some of the newer dslr files in the 30MP range as being heavy, yet that is really nothing. Quad core cpu + lots of ram and you're basically fine even with dozens of layers. If you're getting lagged by too many thumbnails and long history states, that won't really be solved by a more powerful gpu.