Apple acquired Lightning trademark from Harley-Davidson

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I really don't know what is going on with that company but they are willfully creating their own PR nightmares.  These are words I think of when I think of Apple:

Design, white, consumer oriented and high quality

Ever since Jobs went off the deep end with Google and now that they mass produce their products in a rushed fashion (they do have to keep up with the competition) new words are creeping into my vocabulary when I think of Apple.

Vindictive, average quality, arrogant and bully.

I know the diehard fans out there will disagree but I'm not the only one who is saying this.  Apple needs to go back to their roots and learn what Jobs taught them before he went all ballistic.  Their focus does not seem to be where it once was it seems and they no longer seem like the happy/peaceful company I once felt like they were.

That being said, I think them getting the lightning name is important for them as they are going to have to compete with Google/Microsoft in the glasses market at some point so it's best to get that all squared away.  I think they worry about people suing them a lot since they appear to be doing more frequently (kind of like someone who cheats others is always worried that he is being cheated).

"These are words I think of when I think of Apple:" ... KInd of glad I have a totally different set if words that come to mind ... like quality, reliability, excellence, great investment, productivity, fun, enjoyment ... I could go on but I have to go an order some new stuff from Apple :D
  • Reply 22 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Apple doesn't agree with you, 

.. Apple now suing Polish grocery store for infringement

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409669,00.asp

and Samsung doesn't own the grocery store.

Ironic...the company that sells actual apples can't have a name that sounds like that word because a computer maker named "Apple" doesn't like it.  Enough with the lawsuits Apple.  It makes you look petty.  Fire some of your lawyers before they run the place.

• Reply 23 of 32

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Enough with the lawsuits Apple.

Enough with THESE lawsuits. Need to have more of the others.

• Reply 24 of 32
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"The trademark system is broken!"

Can't come up with WHAT on their own?

And why does Apple even need the trademark? These are two completely different industries; I was under the impression that identical names could be used if the industries have nothing to do with one another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

True i believe but the article explained this here ... Pretty weird interest or overly cautious patent lawyer!

'The motorcycle maker originally owned the rights to the Lightning name across a wide range of product types: television sets, games, computer game programs, eye glasses, and eyeglass frames, in addition to motorcycle electrical parts, protective helmets and turn signals.'

There are two types of trademark certification.   You initially use "TM" and then when you prove usage and uniqueness, you can apply for an "R" which is much stronger.   I don't understand how Harley would have gotten the "Lightning" trademark for non-motorcycle related products unless they've produced any.   So to me, eyeglasses, motorcycle parts, helmets and turn signals make sense since they're all related to Harley's primary product line, but TVs, games and computer games, unless directly related to Harley products, don't make sense and IMO (although I'm not a lawyer), should not have been granted to Harley.   I also find it hard to believe that no one besides Harley has used the Lightning trade name before.

A search on the web finds:

Lightning X bags and warning lights.

Greased lightning lubricants

Tampa Bay Lightning apparel 

Blue Lightning restoration products

Etc.

• Reply 25 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

There are two types of trademark certification.   You initially use "TM" and then when you prove usage and uniqueness, you can apply for an "R" which is much stronger.   I don't understand how Harley would have gotten the "Lightning" trademark for non-motorcycle related products unless they've produced any.   

TM requires no certification whatsoever. You can just slap it on anything you want.

Anyone can get a trademark ® on any name they like so long as no other holder of the same or similar name complains about it. There is no requirement that you have some logical reason to include a certain business category based on your current business model. You just need to file the paperwork and pay the fee. There is no official inquiry except if the name is already trademarked in the exact same business category. Upon submitting the application and fee, notification is sent to other holders of the same or similar name to allow them to challenge the application. If no one challenges the application, the trademark can be issued upon finalizing the documentation within 180 days or so (last time I went through the process). Trademarks can also be challenged after the fact. They also need to be maintained by periodically filing paperwork and paying fees. If they are not maintained, they are considered abandoned, sort of like domain names. Trademarking is usually done by an attorney for around $5,000 although you can attempt to do it on your own but it is rather tricky navigating the bureaucracy. 

• Reply 26 of 32
    I remember about 30 years ago Harley was owned by a company called AMC if I remember it correctly. The bikes were awful then, and they marketed other things under the Harley name. Maybe this is when Harley acquired Lightning trademark and for things other than motorcycles.
  • Reply 27 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroginold View Post

I remember about 30 years ago Harley was owned by a company called AMC if I remember it correctly. The bikes were awful then, and they marketed other things under the Harley name. Maybe this is when Harley acquired Lightning trademark and for things other than motorcycles.

AMF

• Reply 28 of 32
    aelegg wrote: »
    I get confused by this too, and recall a case where the products were so similar I WAS confused.

15 years ago, "IMAX" used to mean that 160-foot tall round movie screen where the fish-eye lens-camera movie projects that virtual-reality-stuff like a plane flying in a gorge or some such that makes you feel around for a seatbelt on your recliner-chair.

Now IMAX just means a sharper picture at your regular movie theater and (maybe) better (louder?) sound.

So what's IMAX?  Anyone remember those rare original theaters (there were 1 or 2 in the state of Connecticut).

Wikipedia has some Jive on it, but the question here is about branding.  IMAX used to mean something very specific.  Using a higher resolution on a conventional movie seems like something not-as-good. 

Is the IMAX brand diluted as a result? I think so.

There's a actual IMAX theater that I used to go to that was simply mind blowing compared to the "IMAX experience" some theaters have.

Geez big ass screen with scaffolding, big ass speakers. Can't really put it into words..
  • Reply 29 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    zoetmb wrote: »

There are two types of trademark certification.   You initially use "TM" and then when you prove usage and uniqueness, you can apply for an "R" which is much stronger.   I don't understand how Harley would have gotten the "Lightning" trademark for non-motorcycle related products unless they've produced any.   So to me, eyeglasses, motorcycle parts, helmets and turn signals make sense since they're all related to Harley's primary product line, but TVs, games and computer games, unless directly related to Harley products, don't make sense and IMO (although I'm not a lawyer), should not have been granted to Harley.   I also find it hard to believe that no one besides Harley has used the Lightning trade name before.

A search on the web finds:
    Lightning X bags and warning lights.
    Greased lightning lubricants
    Tampa Bay Lightning apparel 
    Blue Lightning restoration products
    Etc.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps Apple got the name for a few iPads ;)
  • Reply 30 of 32

Wait... Harley builds electronics?

• Reply 31 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Wait... Harley builds electronics?

Probably more product skus than Apple.

http://search.harley-davidson.com/?q=electronics

Oh wait... Apple makes lightning and thunderbolts?

• Reply 32 of 32
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    There's the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSF_35"]Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II[/url], and also the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Thunderbolt_II"]Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II[/url]. The latter is a proven aicraft, the former controversially somewhat less so.

@melgross: yes, the Lightning connector tab is [I]tiny[/I]!