Samsung vows to fix labor violations at supplier factories

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Like Apple, Samsung has also been hit with criticism regarding the working conditions of factories utilized by its manufacturing partners, and has vowed to improve those issues.

In a press release issued on Monday, Samsung responded to reports from China Labor Watch that accused its suppliers of utilizing underage labor. However, Samsung did not find any instances of child labor in a four-week-long audit of 105 suppliers covering 65,000 employees.

However, Samsung's audit, conducted by 121 trained and certified employees, did find "several instances of inadequate practices at the facilities." They included overtime hours that exceeded local regulations, as well as copies of labor contracts being held by supply chain companies' management. Samsung will also abolish a system that would fine employees for lateness or absences.

"We are now designing, researching, and/or implementing corrective actions to address every violation that was identified," Samsung said in a statement. "Corrective actions include new hiring policies and work hours and overtime practices, among other steps, to protect the health and welfare of employees."

Samsung
Samsung's Galaxy S III disassembled, via iFixit.


Samsung was first called out by China Labor Watch in August, in a report that claimed the Chinese manufacturer HEG was employing workers as young as 14 years old. The report also accused Samsung's manufacturing partner of hiring discrimination, excess overtime, withholding copies of worker contracts, poor cafeteria and dormitory conditions, and lack of safety education and labor protection.

The Korean electronics maker responded in September to say it would review 250 suppliers for alleged labor violations. At the time, Samsung did admit that an audit of HEG Electronics found inadequate management and potentially unsafe practices, though there were reportedly no instances of child labor.

Apple has conducted its own supplier audits and published an annual report detailing the company's findings for years. But this year, Apple brought on the Fair Labor Association to conduit its own third-party audits.

The FLA's involvement in Apple's supply chain came after the iPhone maker faced growing criticism for its reliance on manufacturing partners in China. In particular, Apple's partnership with Foxconn for the assembly of most of its devices has been heavily scrutinized in the media.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    Boycott Samsung! I, for one, will sell all of my Samsung gear and buy Apple! How dare Samsung use child labor in terrible conditions, working for slave wages!

    And so forth, and so on.

    Just reiterates the fact that ALL of our gear is produced that way, be it Samsung, Apple, or anyone else...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Not Apple news.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Not quite like Apple: Apple found and reported on the problems themselves, publicly made specific plans for correction, publicly reported on how those plans were working, and asked for a public audit of conditions by a third party (the only electronics company to do so). All long before Samsung took any such steps.

    And of course, the media finds Foxconn issues (and other Chinese manufacturers, from clothing on up) to be quite boring... UNLESS they can tie it to Apple, who is hardly Foxconn’s only customer.

    [QUOTE]Originally Posted by ahmlco

    Boycott Samsung! I, for one, will sell all of my Samsung gear and buy Apple! How dare Samsung use child labor in terrible conditions, working for slave wages!
    And so forth, and so on.
    Just reiterates the fact that ALL of our gear is produced that way, be it Samsung, Apple, or anyone else...[/QUOTE]

    NOT all of our stuff is produced that way. Yes, all in China, but rarely with the level of attention to these issues—and real solutions—that Apple has been providing. Buying from Apple is NOT just as bad as buying from Samsung and others.
  • Reply 4 of 20


    Funny, there's no fandroids trolling this article....I wonder why?

  • Reply 5 of 20


    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

    Funny, there's no fandroids trolling this article....I wonder why?


     


    Because they know Samsung won't actually do this.

  • Reply 6 of 20


    "We are now designing, researching, and/or implementing corrective actions..."


     


    I didn't realise the words "designing" and "researching" were in Samescum's vocabulary. Is this a first?

     

  • Reply 7 of 20


    Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

    I didn't realise the words "designing" and "researching" were in Samescum's vocabulary. Is this a first?


     


    They'll just poorly copy what Apple forced Foxconn to do.

  • Reply 8 of 20

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    Not quite like Apple: Apple found and reported on the problems themselves, publicly made specific plans for correction, publicly reported on how those plans were working, and asked for a public audit of conditions by a third party (the only electronics company to do so). All long before Samsung took any such steps.

    And of course, the media finds Foxconn issues (and other Chinese manufacturers, from clothing on up) to be quite boring... UNLESS they can tie it to Apple, who is hardly Foxconn’s only customer.

    NOT all of our stuff is produced that way. Yes, all in China, but rarely with the level of attention to these issues—and real solutions—that Apple has been providing. Buying from Apple is NOT just as bad as buying from Samsung and others.


     


    If you believe that nonsense - I have a bridge to sell you. 

  • Reply 9 of 20


    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

    If you believe that nonsense - I have a bridge to sell you. 


     


    So you've a method or means of disproving it, then? Sounds a lot like what actually happened, but if you think otherwise you're welcome to prove it.

  • Reply 10 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member


    Hey Samsung, what's happening in Vietnam, where you now make a lot of your phones?


     


    Why do you have to open the phone and look under the battery to see where it is made?


     


    Why isn't it printed on the box?

  • Reply 11 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post


    "We are now designing, researching, and/or implementing corrective actions..."


     


    I didn't realise the words "designing" and "researching" were in Samescum's vocabulary. Is this a first?

     



     


    Such as moving manufacture to Vietnam, away from prying eyes.

  • Reply 12 of 20
    In Mexico a Samsung contractor (SAMWONG) was hit with a lawsuit after a supervisor from Korea was caught on video hitting a worker. Both employees were let go after and the factory was shutdown for a couple of days fora permit review and an investigation of what happened.

    http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/880827.html

    When this was all over the Mexican media Samsung issuedd a press release to clarify the relationship it has with SAMWONG...

  • Reply 13 of 20
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post


    Funny, there's no fandroids trolling this article....I wonder why?



    Where are all these fandroids you speak of? I see more comments like this than on here than I do Android comments. You're making Google into the boogie man (I wish the laugh emoticon looked less obnoxious).

  • Reply 14 of 20
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Hey Samsung, what's happening in Vietnam, where you now make a lot of your phones?

    Why do you have to open the phone and look under the battery to see where it is made?

    Why isn't it printed on the box?

    I haven't bought a Samsung phone in a long time but the last one I did had the country of manufacture on the box.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jhromeror wrote: »
    In Mexico a Samsung contractor (SAMWONG) was hit with a lawsuit after a supervisor from Korea was caught on video hitting a worker. Both employees were let go after and the factory was shutdown for a couple of days fora permit review and an investigation of what happened.

    http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/880827.html

    When this was all over the Mexican media Samsung issuedd a press release to clarify the relationship it has with SAMWONG...

    Sometimes a whack to the head is a rational way to deal with a problem individual. Try being a screw up in construction and see how the union guys treat you.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,594member
    So where is the damning exposé in the New York Times? Come on NYT, get off your asses and expose this exploitive company for the POS that it is.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post



    So where is the damning exposé in the New York Times? Come on NYT, get off your asses and expose this exploitive company for the POS that it is.




    Give it some time. I doubt it would generate as much interest as their articles on Apple, but I still expect it to show up there.

  • Reply 18 of 20
    This article is obviously a hoax. It is a well-established fact on these forums that the only company that ever gets scrutinized for labor abuses (by those damn liberal Amuurica-Haters in the lame stream media) is Apple, and only Apple. Samsung is not Apple, ergo this article doesn't exist. We are discussing a myth, and nothing more.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    richl wrote: »
    I haven't bought a Samsung phone in a long time but the last one I did had the country of manufacture on the box.

    Check out a Galaxy S III.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    This proves again Samsung is on par with Apple in every respect. ;)

    HTC wishes it had such labor issues.
Sign In or Register to comment.