Apple's iPad driving e-commerce as market shifts from desktop-based purchases

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Oh no - iPad dropped from 96% to 89% on a chart - Apple is doomed, DOOOOOOOOOMED, start selling off your shares of AAPL now.

• Reply 22 of 27
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

There is little I hate more than a "tablet optimized website". The whole point of putting a desktop class browser on the tablet was to render the "real web", not a dumbed down version.

This is very true, especially if the "optimized" version doesn't offer critical functionality found in the desktop version. Page elements which hover over other content or reposition after scrolling also translate poorly.

• Reply 23 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

1- App means you pay 30% to Apple on digital goods, right?

2- So the Web is dead, the open world is gone, Microsoft won through it's Apple investment instead of Internet Explorer?

Wow, I'm impressed! Still dragging that "Microsoft saved Apple" BS around, eh?    image

And as for Microsoft representing the "open" world... no.... that's off-topic. We won't go there.  image

• Reply 24 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ascii wrote: »
    You're right, apps aren't really suited to stores due to Apple's cut, but perhaps they are better for most things. So the web will survive but become mostly store fronts?

Apple takes a cut only on digital items used directly on the iDevice. Otherwise, I doubt eBay or the Amazon store would offer the ability to buy items.

p.s. I think MS sold their Apple shares some time ago.

Last I remember, MS sold those shares 2005 or 2006!

How people STILL hold onto information that's seven years out of date, I don't know. It's like complaining about the iPod mini's scroll wheel interface in an era of the iPod nano with its touch screen. The shares were purchased about the time Windows ME was released, so talking about Microsoft buying Apple shares is really digging up some old bones, technologically speaking.
  • Reply 25 of 27

Quote: ascii

Website design? How about making an app for your store.

E-commerce?  There's an app for that.

Apple Store app, iTunes, Amazon, Target, Walgreen's, The North Face, REI, CVS, Starbucks, Groupon, Fandango, AMC Theaters, etc.

Not to mention all the other apps that replace web pages.  Apple is app-ifying the web.

The browser is a relic of the 20th century.

• Reply 26 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    E-commerce?  There's an app for that.

Apple Store app, iTunes, Amazon, Target, Walgreen's, The North Face, REI, CVS, Starbucks, Groupon, Fandango, AMC Theaters, etc.

Not to mention all the other apps that replace web pages.  Apple is app-ifying the web.
    The browser is a relic of the 20th century.

I think an app for when a site is best at is generally a regression. Rather than building one site, you need to make four apps (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android), and I don't think it really benefits anyone. And what if their internal search engine is bad? Another way "in" with a site to find a specific page or product is to use a search engine if you have a web site. External search engine access to a database hidden behind apps prevents this.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    chabig wrote: »
    There is little I hate more than a "tablet optimized website". The whole point of putting a desktop class browser on the tablet was to render the "real web", not a dumbed down version.

Agreed ... the only thing they need to change is removing anything dependent on Flash of course.