Tony Fadell: Recently ousted Forstall 'got what he deserved'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    rsdofny wrote: »

It would be hard to have a "controlled" Forstall with all the money and success that he has.  He should be the captain of his own ship.  With a constant demand of proven talent in silicon valley, I would not be surprised to see him have the opportunity soon.  He should take his time to evaluate the opportunity during his gardening leave.

Or be happy and content with his ability to retire young and live more than comfortably wealthy till he dies. But that kind people are rarely capable of being satiated. That's what helps them climb. Sadly, it also brings them down when they're unwilling to cooperate with those around them they see as stepping stones.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ^^
    So it's other Apple execs fault that Forstall was a jerk and they didn't put him in his place? From the press release it seems quite obvious that Forstall was a barrier to collaboration. Maybe Mansifeld, Ive, Schiller etc. just wanes to do their jobs an not have to deal with political BS and corporate infighting.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    igriv wrote: »

First,Tony was a senior VP at Apple until late 2008. I would imagine he is still plugged in.
    Second. He does not like Scott, apparently neither does anyone at Apple.
    Third, he is expressing the opinion of people at Apple (who are not at liberty to talk), with whom he probably would not mind working again. He obviously has no interest in working with Scott Forstall, and will never have to, given that he probably has a couple of bucks in the bank and a reasonably successful startup. As for earning respect for badmouthing people -- apparently many people have "badmouthed" Forstall, since it is common knowledge that he is a corporate infighting little weasel.

1. So what? He's been gone for over 4 years. Your imagining doesn't make it so.
    Apple is a notoriously secret company. Given their penchant for secrecy, you'd have to prove that Tony knows the reason - and his evasiveness and referring to an online blog as his evidence suggests that he doesn't.

2. No one at Apple likes Scott? Really? So you've interviewed every single Apple employee?

3. Your evidence for that is.....??? Again, you interviewed every single employee and found that they're in universal agreement?

The fact is that only a very small number of people know what really happened - and it is unlikely that any of them are posting here.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    alienzed wrote: »
    Steve Jobs was ousted once...

So was Gil Amelio. What's your point?
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Most of us have worked for a "Forstall."

Scott's real contribution was having the guts to push an OSX based mobile OS.

The rest was the team of people that served under him. Many, if not most, are still there.

Not Forstall. He simply did what he knew Jobs liked and went in that direction. had no real vision or leadership of his own other than to be "ruthless," because that's how Steve was sometimes.

For Scott to have released iOS 6 the way it was, that was a big indicator of his own lack of focus. He could have had the team hold back until it was done or at least qualified the release as a beta.

Also, under Scott's watch, the iPhone has adopted some Android conventions that seemed tacked on and a bit unrelated to the rest of the OS from a visual standpoint.

The talent is still at Apple. The guy whipping them is different. That's all.

And from the sounds of things, Ive is giving the UI vision from a central leadership standpoint that the guy holding the whip will merely enforce. and the functionality will only get better from guys who actually care to see things clean and shored up before release.

Can't wait to see Apple get back to "it just works."

Forstall was not the guy for that. He simply repeated Jobs' ideals. That was great when Jobs was around. Sadly, he is not. And this is a new day with new needs. Forstall simply doesn't fit anymore. Things don't source from him. He is great at enforcement. But not sourcing vision.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

1. So what? He's been gone for over 4 years. Your imagining doesn't make it so.

Apple is a notoriously secret company. Given their penchant for secrecy, you'd have to prove that Tony knows the reason - and his evasiveness and referring to an online blog as his evidence suggests that he doesn't.

2. No one at Apple likes Scott? Really? So you've interviewed every single Apple employee?

3. Your evidence for that is.....??? Again, you interviewed every single employee and found that they're in universal agreement?

The fact is that only a very small number of people know what really happened - and it is unlikely that any of them are posting here.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

1. Neither does yours. I don't have to prove anything to you.

2. Everything I ever read about the guy was negative. I am sure his mother loves him, and possibly his wife.

3. My opinion, based on what I have read. You have your opinion, I have mine. I happen to believe yours is wrong (and you apparently reciprocate). So?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 67 of 73
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So was Gil Amelio. What's your point?

Not only that, Steve was ousted for being an unbearable pain in the ass, while Gil was ousted after turning the company around from hemorraghaging money to making a (small, but positive) profit. 

• Reply 68 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Not only that, Steve was ousted for being an unbearable pain in the ass, while Gil was ousted after turning the company around from hemorraghaging money to making a (small, but positive) profit. 

Gil was just in the way.

• Reply 69 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Sooo... being an unbearable pain in the ass = corporate messiah?

IF ONLY IT WERE THAT EASY.

• Reply 70 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Gil was just in the way.

He did save Apple: He brought in exactly what the ailing company needed: a solid new OS and (unwittingly) a great new CEO.

• Reply 71 of 73

As you can probably tell, I'm sick of the reactionary Forstall-lovefest that's based solely on some SUPERFICIAL reminder of Steve Jobs. "OMG, they both drive silver Mercedes SLs, that means Forstall's gonna come back in ten years and save Apple." PUL-EEZ. Do you people have that poor a grasp of the situation that you believe any fired Apple exec with a silver Mercedes and a bad attitude is the next Steve Jobs?

• Reply 72 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

He did save Apple: He brought in exactly what the ailing company needed: a solid new OS and (unwittingly) a great new CEO.

Oh... I didn't say that Gil wasn't a great CEO. He made Spindler look like an idiot (well, actually, Spindler did that all on his own).

... but when Steve came back, Gil was just in the way.

• Reply 73 of 73
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Forstall is the only guy that even came close to Steve's presentation skills and personal joy doing said presentations. I'm watching the 2011 iPad 2 presentation now. He is off the hook. And now, languishing because of some political BS within the "new Apple".

Sorry Apple, I really feel this is not how things should go.

Especially since Fadell is coming out of the well-known rift between the iPad and iPod (old) OS.