Redesigned iMac gets unboxed, torn down just hours after launch [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So just buy the iMac with the Fusion drive and replace the SSD with a larger version. From iFixit taking the 21inch apart seems like getting access to it shouldn't be too difficult.

What do you mean by "replace the SSD with a larger version"? I assumed the SSD option in the new iMacs is an SSD card, like in the MBA and MBPs, not a 2.5" SSD, thus making the Fusion drive the 2.5" HDD+SSD card in the 21.5" iMac and a 3.5" HDD+SSD card in the 27" iMac.

PS: Now that I think about it I haven't seen a 768GB SSD card so perhaps that option in the 27" iMac is a 2.5" drive.
  • Reply 62 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think you guys don't really understand how the Fusion drive works.  There's really not need to re-partition, the software sort of does that on the fly to maximize speed to the programs you use the most.  At least, that's how I understand it.

The SSD in the fusion drive is 128GB so if you have more than that in total it leaves 4GB free on the SSD. The system and application files stay on the SSD. For user files when writing they first hit the SSD then are moved across to the HD. If the files are larger than 4GB then the speed will slow down to that of the HD.

For most people keeping it as a Fusion drive will be fine but is depends on what you are doing. SSD drives don't last as long as standard HD's so making the drives dual and only using the SSD for system and application files will extend the life of the SSD. Also if you are using programmes such as Photoshop then you will be able to assign the SSD as the scratch drive.

Personally I will probably give the Fusion drive a go but at least I have the choice to change it if I wish.

See this article on why some people think dual drives are better than fusion. http://macperformanceguide.com/macmini2012-dual-drives-vs-fusion.html

• Reply 63 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I assumed the SSD option in the new iMacs is an SSD card.

According to Apple after chatting with them online it is a drive but is soldered on.... Mind you yesterday one of them said that there were no moving parts in the Fusion drive so it's anybody's guess really...

• Reply 64 of 81
    According to Apple after chatting with them online it is a drive but is soldered on....

Thanks.

I'm looking at the iFixit teardown but don't see where the128GB SSD card (only size for the Fusion Drive) would go in that machine.

edit: Check out Step 24. I'd wager the SSD card will NOT be soldered on. However, if you don't buy the Fusion Drive with the 21.5" iMac as standard you won't get the connector soldered on which will make it all but impossible to ever add an SSD card later on.
  • Reply 65 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thanks.

I'm looking at the iFixit teardown but don't see where the128GB SSD card (only size for the Fusion Drive) would go in that machine.

Damn seems somewhat trickier than I had hoped. C'est la vie...

• Reply 66 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Thanks.

Step 24 points out a plausible location for a socket that was left off the non-Fusion Drive model.
  • Reply 67 of 81

Has anyone actually seen these in person yet? Wondering what the new anti-glare screen is like...

• Reply 68 of 81

Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Has anyone actually seen these in person yet? Wondering what the new anti-glare screen is like...

Good enough that we'll never see the MacMatte petition spam ever again.

• Reply 69 of 81

So are you just saying that....or have you actually seen one in person yet?

• Reply 70 of 81

So are you just saying that....or have you actually seen one in person yet?

Not in person, but I've seen side-by-side images, and it's reduced drastically.

• Reply 71 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Not in person, but I've seen side-by-side images, and it's reduced drastically.

As far as I understand, it's the same as the Retina MBPs, which is very good. Eliminating the air gap between the glass and display eliminates two reflective surfaces. The antiglare treatment appears to be stronger too.

Somehow, I don't think zunx will be happy, but at this point, he might just have to be unhappy somewhere else if he carries on his little one-person crusade because the point of matte diminishes greatly against the current display.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I can't understand why Apple would eliminate the microphone input.

They probably have data which shows it's very seldom used. For people that need sound input, there are USB solutions.

• Reply 73 of 81

Quote:

Yeah.  I saw one in Japan on Thursday US time and posted such.  The screen is amazing.  The same display as last years model, but with noticeably much less reflection.  It also seems clearer as the display is right in front of you now (as opposed to 2mm behind the glass).

For me, the screen is so good it is almost reason enough to upgrade, if you can afford it.

• Reply 74 of 81
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

On Friday at the Apple Store a dude was just setting up his new iMac 21". I didn't want to be too nosy to stare at the display. I was just shocked about the discordant iMac launch.
  • Reply 75 of 81

Ya, obviously I'll have to play with one in person, but based on what I've seen this is the first Mac in a long time which has excited me. I had to endure much scorn and ridicule on here with my assertion that my current matte iMac would be my last as I refused a glossy screen. While I love my current iMac it's getting a bit long in the tooth - the last iPhoto update kinda broke the camel's back as it was so noticeably slow.

The lack of an optical drive is somewhat annoying but not a deal breaker. As mentioned the external drive can be bought and actually complements the design.

No one has answered my other question yet (opening myself up for more ridicule) as to whether Snow Leopard will install on it...

• Reply 76 of 81
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    So that people aren't scammed during a resale and so that the hardware can actually fit inside the computer.
    What hardware is actually behind the chin? From the teardown photos I've seen so far, the chin is intact. I haven't seen a photo of the chin removed or exposed.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    jupiterone wrote: »
    What hardware is actually behind the chin? From the teardown photos I've seen so far, the chin is intact. I haven't seen a photo of the chin removed or exposed.

That is the part that I assume has the stir welding (ie: atomic metal glue) and it looks like it's nothing but for airflow into the the machine which gets pulled up and out the vent in the back center. It's only 5mm on the bottom edge so it's not like much could be there.

PS: Not that I ever use SD cards but it would have been nice if they had put that one port on the right edge because those that do use SD cards likely using them often and getting them in and out of the back will be a pain. So much so that those who want this new iMac and use SD cards frequently may want to invest in a USB SD card reader.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    jupiterone wrote: »

The chin is out of balance on the 21" iMac, because it is the same size as the chin on the 27" iMac. And if, indeed it is superfluous... Well, you know what that says about the "new Apple". :\
  • Reply 79 of 81

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

The chin is out of balance on the 21" iMac, because it is the same size as the chin on the 27" iMac. And if, indeed it is superfluous... Well, you know what that says about the "new Apple".

It's the same size on every iMac; so what? It's not superfluous; it's specifically used.

• Reply 80 of 81
    It's the same size on every iMac; so what? It's not superfluous; it's specifically used.

What is it used for exactly on the 21"? At that size?