Review roundup: New iMac display and redesigned chassis shine, audio a step back

Comments

• Reply 81 of 168
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    The RAM upgrade requires taking out the motherboard. I suppose that's one way of getting people to spend $200 on 16GB of RAM.

Obviously when the computer is working fine, this design is no big deal and for most customers this will be the case but for the few where it does go wrong, it's now a major problem. This is where a laptop + display is a far better setup because not only is the laptop more easily carted into the Apple Store, it can be opened very easily. Same with a Mini in fact.

1) Thanks for posting the video.

2) I don't think that's unreasonable. As noted in a different thread I'll be paying $150 for 2x8GB Kingston RAM for my iMac.

3) Yeah, people that are buying an iMac are even less likely to upgrade than those who have traditionally bought towers in the past. It's just not something most do.

4) Note that the 27" does have easy access to the RAM in the back. It's too bad that this wasn't an option on the 21.5" model (as well as having a 3.5" HDD) but it is what it is and those that are buying a desktop with a 1TB drive max should know this.

PS: I noticed that Apple doesn't advertise their Fusion Drive capacity as being the HDD+SSD capacity, but instead just the capacity of the largest drive. Not that it's too much more but 1TB+128GB is 1.08TB.
  • Reply 82 of 168
    vaelian wrote: »
    So, let us begin with the dissection of nonsense.
    A $2000 computer is only designed to read E-mail?

Speaking of nonsense, you drew a conclusion that the new iMac was only designed for reading email.
    I don't think that was the implication; you may be committing a straw man fallacy there. I think what the person you replied to was trying to say is that optical media is far from being dead or irrelevant.

That was the implication. He stated, rather incorrectly, that physical video media sales far exceed virtual video sales which should require that all PCs have ODDs until such time that is no longer the case.

It's an irrelevant metric if physical video media is not used primary on "PCs" but in dedicated appliances connected to a TV.

Blu-ray is great but it's not something I would expect any reasonable person to say should be on every PC sold simply to have that option. And suggesting that DVD with it's obsolete codec, container and resolution should be continue be in every Mac simply because it's still good enough for many in their HEC due to the high cost of Blu-ray is absurd.
  • Reply 83 of 168
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    Decent-sounding speakers need depth. Looks like form wins out over function this time.

There we go. "Bass response-gate" is now in business on the forums. After all, wasn't the whole point of the iMac to be room-filling speakers?
  • Reply 84 of 168

The iMac only got a front cover large photo for 1 day... 1 day. That speaks volumes about the future of Mac to me. 

http://www.apple.com/

• Reply 85 of 168

Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

…if it needs an external optical drive, and it needs external speakers, it is looking less like an "All-In-One".

But it "needs" neither.

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

What's the point in making compromises in functionality… …lack of ODD…

Because that isn't a compromise in anything.

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What do you think is the cause of the computers selling out to such a long wait already?  The crazy huge pent-up demand?  Again, believe what you want, but the preponderance of evidence all points one way.

Yeah, it points to the pent-up demand. If you're going to lie about self-made shortages done to make Apple look good, at least have proof.

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Or is it all supposed to be only about you??

Yes.

Originally Posted by john_l_uk View Post

One thing that is both a step backwards and inexplicable on the grounds of cost is abandoning a line-in port.

But did anyone really use it? I have a quality microphone and… it's USB. I mean, line-in? That's very '80s.

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

I cannot believe the idiotic Cnet comment that they felt that Apple was being deceptive by pretending that the computer was actually 5mm deep. 

I believe that the advertising images are slightly deceptive, but I do not at all believe that Apple is begin deceptive in actually telling you the size.

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

…which I accept because it's a laptop.

This is why it's okay, and this is why you have no argument.

Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I wonder why Apple didn't raise everything out of the chin and eliminate it.

Stops reselling scams, is an iconic look, does actually hold components, and I actually like it!

Remember, it's not the same thickness top to bottom. 

Joke's on you; your reduction to absurdity didn't even address the point of the poster you're quoting...

Sounds more like he's quoting exactly what people who don't know what they want always say about such things.

Yes, but when you only want average sound, the built-in speakers should suffice; otherwise it defeats the point of an all-in-one.

And they're giving you average sound.

That is no excuse to actually make the built-in audio worse. The mid-2011 iMac does actually sound good enough for me, but the late-2011 MacBook Pro doesn't.

You're fine with the latter but not with the former. That's why this is okay, and that's why you don't have much place to complain about it.

I think what the person you replied to was trying to say is that optical media is far from being dead or irrelevant.

The person was wrong, so does it matter?

Only in the US, so moot point.

Yeah, there are no digital video rentals/purchases anywhere but the US. ????

Apple prides themselves for quality and make us pay for it; it is thus perfectly reasonable to see complaints and complain when quality falters.

And yet you hold a double standard on that yourself.

Why should I care?

S'pose if you hate the environment and would rather pee on an oil-covered seagull than clean it off, that's fine.

I'm no "mean, green, tree-hugging machine" myself, but I like hearing about costs going down.

Most of the package is either filled with foam or air...

Are you honestly pretending this invalidates anything that he has said? Really?

…there's plenty of it to go around, and it can be recycled, so you're concerned with a virtually unlimited resource.

At current rate of use, we run out of aluminum in 2040. And we're increasing our rate of use. Talk about a full-body record scratch. 

Of course, I'm the one paying for everything, am I not?

So go buy a PC box instead, since you don't know how the iMac is built.

Our opinions are so irrelevant that we only got 2 executives fired and an apology letter in the space of 2 months...

Nothing to do whatsoever with what we're talking about.

There's a huge distance between zero bass response and great quality audio. Why are you ignoring that distance?

Sounds like you're ignoring it.

I use them to record calls from my iPhone because I can't intercept the audio using an app.

That's illegal, yeah?

You've answered your own question, because of the 1%...

And you've invalidated your entire point: that's not why the iMac exists. Go buy a PC box.

There's a huge difference between zero bass response to bass and massive bass sound.

Echo! Echo. Echo…

…which are really really bad and useless.

Double standard, AND you're changing your story in the same post! That's the dream of the Brigade and you've matched it!

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) I don't think that's unreasonable. As noted in a different thread I'll be paying $150 for 2x8GB Kingston RAM for my iMac.

I think it sort of is, since there's no 32GB option when the thing can handle it. I guess 16GB sticks still don't exist in that size yet?

Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post

The iMac only got a front cover large photo for 1 day... 1 day. That speaks volumes about the future of Mac to me. 

It cycles. If you didn't already know that they don't care about their computers, is there really anything that can be done to help you now? Been FIVE YEARS.

• Reply 86 of 168
    Let the haters have their haterade. I can't think of a single PC or Mac that has enclosed speakers with enough bass response. They all sound tinny, which is why no one who gives two shits about audio would be using those speakers instead of plugging in external speakers. Hell, my HP desktop at the office has more exhaust fan noise than its zero-bass monaural speaker can drown out. Do the trolls praise Apple for iMacs being nearly silent from fan noise?
  • Reply 87 of 168
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Speaking of nonsense, you drew a conclusion that the new iMac was only designed for reading email.

Did you notice the question mark at the end?

That was the implication. He stated, rather incorrectly, that physical video media sales far exceed virtual video sales which should require that all PCs have ODDs until such time that is no longer the case.

Nope, that is your interpretation of it. As you may have noticed, I provided you with a completely different interpretation, which for reasons beyond my understanding you did not even address...

It's an irrelevant metric if physical video media is not used primary on "PCs" but in dedicated appliances connected to a TV.

Why would it need to be used primarily on PCs? It is clear that the media type is still used, so the claim that it is obsolete (and the comparison with the floppy drives of age) are pointless.
  • Reply 88 of 168
    jpadhiyar wrote: »
    A "zero bass response" is a very strong step backwards if that's the case. I think Apple must stop this fetish with thin design.

Oh, there's no end to the free advice people give to Apple. My favorites include: "shut it all down and give the money back to the shareholders" and "license Mac OS to clone makers."
  • Reply 89 of 168
    [quote]Double standard, AND you're changing your story in the same post! That's the dream of the Brigade and you've matched it![/quote]

There's no double standard anywhere, I'm talking about two distinct products with two completely different functions. Laptops compromise their peripherals for portability and a built-in UPS. Desktops, however, do not have the portability constraint, so they should not make such compromises, especially when they don't have to. A desktop does NOT need to be thinner than a 2011 iMac, it does NOT need to have its optical drive removed for space, it does NOT need to have communication ports removed, and it does NOT need to sound worse than the average TV.
  • Reply 90 of 168

http://www.apple.com/

1) The photos switch. Refresh your page a few times before another acorn hits you on your head.

2) Regardless if Apple ever puts a Mac on their front page or holds an event showcasing a new Mac that doesn't mean the Mac will go away, it only means the Mac's importance has waned because the "PCs" importance has waned compared to other computing devices.

I think it sort of is, since there's no 32GB option when the thing can handle it. I guess 16GB sticks still don't exist in that size yet?

That's the thing. It can't handle it if the sticks don't yet exist. And imagine how pricey they will be when they are available.

Did you notice the question mark at the end?
    Nope, that is your interpretation of it. As you may have noticed, I provided you with a completely different interpretation, which for reasons beyond my understanding you did not even address...
    Why would it need to be used primarily on PCs? It is clear that the media type is still used, so the claim that it is obsolete (and the comparison with the floppy drives of age) are pointless.

1) I did notice your question mark but that doesn't mean you were asking a reasonable question. Your comment was clearly an assertion? (see what I did there?)

2) Everything that I see, hear, touch, smell, and taste is an interpretation. I read words on a display and interpreted their meaning. Those are the senses humans use to interact with the world. Your interpretation feels forced and poorly contrived.

3) Why is a claim that the ODD should remain in PCs because optical video media are still popular be relevant when ODDs are not most common way in which these videos are viewed. That's a real head scratcher¡ <== sarcmark, so you don't misinterpret my comment.
  • Reply 91 of 168
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    BOSE..... Hahahahahaha... Seriously......hahahaha..... Never going to improve ANY audio experience.

Better than a lot of computer speakers, probably all internal speakers, but that's a low bar. Though you pay for it.

jpadhiyar wrote: »
    A "zero bass response" is a very strong step backwards if that's the case. I think Apple must stop this fetish with thin design.

It might be hyperbolic. I'd really like to see some numbers comparing with previous models.

You can get a USB audio device to steal music. But seriously, any online streaming service that you can listen to in a browser can also be captured to a file if you know anything about Javascript, HTML, and using the debug capabilities in Safari. ;) Even YouTube videos via the mobile site can go straight to disk. 

What? If you think a computer audio jack is primarily used to steal music, I really don't know what to say. Audio Hijack is a better solution than what you suggest.

quantz wrote: »
    Ridiculous. It's a computer, not a sound system. And that "bass" obsession is ridiculous too. Overloaded bass in sound systems are just for thugs driving around playing  Eminem at full blast, not for musicians. 

There's a sliding scale, and there's a long slide between the two.

I'm perfectly fine with the speakers in the mid-2011 iMac, which do have bass response.

I have a mid-2011 iMac too, and I'm wondering where you're finding this alleged bass response. There's only so much bass that can be had from a 2" or smaller driver. Being constrained on spatial volume doesn't help.
  • Reply 92 of 168
    There's no double standard anywhere, I'm talking about two distinct products with two completely different functions. Laptops compromise their peripherals for portability and a built-in UPS. Desktops, however, do not have the portability constraint, so they should not make such compromises, especially when they don't have to. A desktop does NOT need to be thinner than a 2011 iMac, it does NOT need to have its optical drive removed for space, it does NOT need to have communication ports removed, and it does NOT need to sound worse than the average TV.

1) So your argument is now that it's not required by some law you've invented so Apple shouldn't do it even if it's what the average iMac customer wants?

2) There was room in the previous iMac for a 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drive. Does that mean Apple should have included it? They also could have put a hundreds of USB ports in the back. Can you guess why they didn't?

3) Bottom line is that you feel slighted by the changes as if Apple is required to design its products around your specific needs. My interpretation of for-profit companies is that focusing on single user's obsolescing wishes does not a successful business model make. I found that I didn't use my ODD as of many years ago and felt the inclusion in my 13" MBP — taking up 25% of the internal space — was a waste but I didn't complain that Apple had stopped innovating, I found a solution with OptiBay.
  • Reply 93 of 168
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Wow...  So, because you have a DVD player in your living room, and you continue to want to put DVD's into that machine .........  This suddenly makes using Optical Drives in an iMac less obsolete (because apparently the two are somehow related)?

If what you're really whining about is that you can no longer download pirated DVD content and burn it off to watch in your living room, then you need to either get more creative or start paying for your stuff.

• Reply 94 of 168

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

If what you're really whining about is that you can no longer download pirated DVD content and burn it off to watch in your living room, then you need to either get more creative or start paying for your stuff.

Could always just AirPlay the pirated content to a TV with an Apple TV. image

But no, they demand 700 megabyte (so you can burn it on a CD) XVID files (that no one can play on any modern player).

• Reply 95 of 168
    Visited local Apple Store to see a new iMac. I must say, it is a thing of beauty. I found myself trying to rationalize why I should have one (have a 15 inch MBP, 13 inch MBA for work, iPad 3 Gen, iPad mini, & iPhone 5), it is that stunning. Why thin? It is simply beautiful. Apple will sell tons of these computers, heck, even I may end up getting one after all.
  • Reply 96 of 168
    Could always just AirPlay the pirated content to a TV with an Apple TV. :lol:

But no, they demand 700 megabyte (so you can burn it on a CD) XVID files (that no one can play on any modern player).

That was favourite complaint from the long overdue switch this year from AVI/XviD to MP4/H.264 by the consortium that converts TV shows to torrents.
  • Reply 97 of 168

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

…the consortium that converts TV shows to torrents.

Oh, they're organized, are they? image

• Reply 98 of 168

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm fine with the speakers on the iMac. If I was into desktop gaming, I'd probably spring for some Bose speakers. It's funny that even in 2012, reviewers of big screen HDTVs pan them for the small speakers. Does anyone buy a huge 65" LCD and then settle for the built ins? Even a cheap Bose 3-speaker surround system improves the experience tremendously!

Bose?  Really?  You would choose them?  There are so many companies that produce better audio for the same price, Klipsch for one.  

• Reply 99 of 168
    Oh, they're organized, are they? :lol:

There are distribution groups. I think they all act independently of each other much like different chapters of Fight Club so there is no centralized management or a single point of attack from those that want to bring them down. The first of internet piracy...
  • Reply 100 of 168
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

What would be a good way for this model to have impressive sound output? Front/rear grilles? A wider bottom edge for more sound wave breathing room? And what would all that well-tuned reverb do to the other internal components? There's nothing spinning hard drives love more than high-frequency vibration.

Everyone wants to complain, but no one wants to completely think through the problem.

I mean yes, it would be nice to have, along with a dozen other features I want that fall outside their focus. But this model is what it is, and I bet the majority of casual users won't even notice, just as they don't see an issue with the quality of listening to music through YouTube. Anyone who is serious about audio already has a nice component system.

Comparing the lack of internal ODD to DVD sales shows a lack of understanding use cases. Droids outsell iPhones, even though iPhones generate far more web traffic. Why? Different use cases.

Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh, there's no end to the free advice people give to Apple. My favorites include: "shut it all down and give the money back to the shareholders" and "license Mac OS to clone makers."

That's a dangerous slippery slope position. The existence of bad advice should not preclude the invitation to offer advice. If it did, Apple would not have so many "Send Feedback" options throughout their apps and website.

pinkunicorn View Post

Front page time is directly proportional to sales volume, at least from this casual observer. I don't recall seeing the XServe front and center too often...