Apple recognizes World AIDS Day at Apple Stores worldwide

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A number of Apple Stores across the world have changed their usual white logo to red in recognition of World AiDS Day, while added to the company's homepage takes users to the official PRODUCT (RED) website, of which Apple is a partner.

Tokyo Apple Store
Apple's (RED) logo as seen at the Shibuya Apple Store in Tokyo. | Source: AppleInsider reder James.

With Saturday being World AIDS Day, the switch in Apple's logo color is a symbolic reference to the PRODUCT(RED) initiative, which hopes to end the propagation of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Various partner companies are involved in the project, each donating a portion of (RED) branded merchandise to the cause, with Apple being a longtime supporter.

Apple (RED) Webpage

In addition to the logo change and prominent display of PRODUCT(RED) iPods and accessories at its retail outlets, Apple added a JoinRed.com "card" link to its homepage, directing users to the (RED) website where they can make PRODUCT(RED) purchases, including the Dance (RED) Save Lives compilation album presented by Ti?sto and sold through iTunes. The record is associated with special World AIDS Day performances at the Stereosonic Music Festival in Melbourne, Australia from artists including AVICII, Calvin Harris and Ti?sto, which will be live-streamed on YouTube.

According to Apple, the (RED) campaign has generated over $190 million since its inception in 2006, with more than $50 million coming from Apple products alone.

From Apple's PRODUCT(RED) informational page:
The Global Fund
The numbers don?t lie: Every day more than 900 babies are born with HIV. By 2015 that number can be nearly zero. (RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS-free generation by 2015 by creating (PRODUCT) RED merchandise. A percentage of gross profits from the sale of those products goes to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa. Since its introduction, (PRODUCT) RED has generated more than $190 million ? more than $50 million from Apple alone ? for the Global Fund. Now you can make an impact, too, by purchasing a (PRODUCT) RED iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, iPad Smart Cover, iPad Smart Case, or iPhone Bumper.
Apple's iTunes and Starbucks recently collaborated on an eGift basket that included a $15 digital coupon for both stores, with 5 percent of the purchase price going to the Global Fund AIDS research foundation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

AIDS-free by 2015? They're really that close to a cure? If that's anywhere near true, it's impressive. Sort of doubt it, myself.

Anyway, that's awfully AppleOutsidery; back to the "Steve Jobs would have shot anyone asking for charitable donations on sight".

• Reply 2 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If the number of new AIDS babies gets down to zero by 2015, it will be more to do with the unprecedented economic growth happening in Africa these last few years, than with this charity. I'm sure they'll take the credit though.

• Reply 3 of 15

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If the number of new AIDS babies gets down to zero by 2015, it will be more to do with the unprecedented economic growth happening in Africa these last few years…

How does this prevent AIDS? 

• Reply 4 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    If the number of new AIDS babies gets down to zero by 2015, it will be more to do with the unprecedented economic growth happening in Africa these last few years, than with this charity. I'm sure they'll take the credit though.

I'm not sure how much (RED) would have helped overall but I'm not understanding how unprecedented economic growth would be the reason for stopping AIDS. I can see better education and better infrastructure for disease control would be the largest factors.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How does this prevent AIDS? 

What do poor young women do for money when there's no economy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure how much (RED) would have helped overall but I'm not understanding how unprecedented economic growth would be the reason for stopping AIDS. I can see better education and better infrastructure for disease control would be the largest factors.

Yep and the education and infrastructure are paid for by taxes which grow with a growing economy.

• Reply 6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AIDS-free by 2015? They're really that close to a cure? If that's anywhere near true, it's impressive. Sort of doubt it, myself.

It's nothing to do with a cure. 

The red charity gives anti-retroviral drugs to infected pregnant women to dramatically reduce the likelihood of mother-child transmission of HIV. The mother may well still die, but the baby will be healthy.

• Reply 7 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I've bought a couple of Red items, including Shazam and last years Christmas EP by The Killers, it's a good cause and the products offer good value.

I'll get the Tiesto album too.

• Reply 8 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

So, is Apple going to discontinue the program in 2015, if everything goes according to plan?

Personally speaking, I've never been a fan of the RED products. I'm just glad that they don't make a red iPad, because that wouldn't look too nice, and it would remind me of Microsoft's poor taste in colors for their kickstand tablets and those keyboard attachments.

• Reply 9 of 15

Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

It's nothing to do with a cure. 

The red charity gives anti-retroviral drugs to infected pregnant women to dramatically reduce the likelihood of mother-child transmission of HIV. The mother may well still die, but the baby will be healthy.

Well, that's stupid. That's not gonna create an "AIDS-free" generation by any stretch.

• Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, that's stupid. That's not gonna create an "AIDS-free" generation by any stretch.

Whoa...

Saving unborn children from the wrath of an incurable disease is 'stupid'?

The HIV/AIDS cure conundrum is multilayered and deeply complex. HIV is a beautiful bug (if one has any insight into virology), and defeating it will take nothing short of a miracle.

Securing a chance for an entire generation to be born free of infection is a massive step towards gaining control. Spend some time in the Peace Corps, and you'll learn that many in Africa are complacent to the reality of exposure and/or infection because they believe that they 'are already dead' (which is a sentiment directly related to the fact that far too many people are born with the disease -- without a chance to begin with -- dying before they've even lived).

Protecting babies from viral transmission is an absolute possibility in creating an 'AIDS-free generation'. They will certainly need the education and resources to become informed about their status, and the realities of growing up in a hot bed of infection, but the fresh start is something that entire nations are denied by virtue of their current struggles with the disease.

...really, man. Yikes.

• Reply 11 of 15

Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

Securing a chance for an entire generation to be born free of infection is a massive step towards gaining control.

I don't think we should care about that "control". The only control is when we're passing out a vaccine. Anything else is just taping shut the holes in the leaking wall while you wait for the mortar.

Yeah, they're born free of it. What of the rest? The ones who are stuck with it? The ones that can still pass it on? Can't wait for 'em to die; that's decades of potential spread. Can't kill 'em off; that's absolutely reprehensible.

I get what they're doing, I get why they're doing it, I just don't get why it's a priority over a cure.

• Reply 12 of 15
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    There isnt a cure. Im not sure who is saying treatment is a priority over a cure.
  • Reply 13 of 15

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

There isnt a cure.

Yes. I know that. That's toward what we should be working.

Im not sure who is saying treatment is a priority over a cure.

(Project)RED, if my understanding is correct. Retrovirals given to pregnant women to arrest the virus in newborns, stopping the continuation of the disease that way, but not a cure for existing infected.

Assuming these drugs can actually stop it from passing to newborns, this itself IS a cure if we assume existing infected can also be prevented from spreading it further, but that's an immensely daunting task. I'd go so far as to say it's impossible, while a cure for the disease would not be.

• Reply 14 of 15
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Bringing attention to AIDS is why Apple keeps trying to make their products thinner.

-kpluck

• Reply 15 of 15

Cheap Moncler Coat
    Moncler Kids Down Jacket
    Moncler Vest Outlet
    Moncler Accessories

Anyway, that's awfully AppleOutsidery; back to the "Steve Jobs would have shot anyone asking for charitable donations on sight".