iPhone 5 to launch in South Korea, Brazil & dozens more countries in December

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced that the iPhone 5 will debut in more than 50 countries this month, including South Korea on Friday, Dec. 7, with Russia, Brazil and Taiwan to follow a week later.

Those additional countries that will gain access to Apple's latest smartphone include China, which Apple announced last week will have the iPhone 5 launch on Dec. 14. The dozens of new countries will join 47 countries where the iPhone 5 is already available for sale.

The full list of countries set to gain the iPhone 5 on Friday, Dec. 14 are: Albania, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Ecuador, Grenada, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kuwait, Macedonia, Malaysia, Moldova, Montenegro, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Venezuela.

iPhone 5 will also be available on Friday, December 21 in Barbados, Botswana, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Egypt, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritius, Morocco, Niger, Senegal, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St.Vincent & the Grenadines, Tunisia, Uganda, and Vietnam.

iPhone 5

Monday's announcement also confirms an earlier report that claimed Apple would launch the iPhone 5 in Taiwan on Dec. 14. It was said that all major Taiwanese carriers would begin accepting preorders a week prior.

International expansion of the iPhone 5 comes as Apple has begun to catch up with supply in countries such as the U.S., where the handset launched in September. Last week, Apple also began selling an unlocked version of the iPhone 5 through its online store in America.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    For the people in those countries I do hope they have the same release schedule when the next iPhone hits the market in 2013. If they up it, they won't be out of their 1 or 2 year contract.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    philboogie wrote: »
    For the people in those countries I do hope they have the same release schedule when the next iPhone hits the market in 2013. If they up it, they won't be out of their 1 or 2 year contract.

While that is what everyone would like to see, a world wide launch of a product. I dont think that is even technically possible without sinking in huge amount of money. It could be possible on a refinement model like the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S ( if that is coming ). Since this model are retuned and refined in manufacturing efficiency. And are generally less interested due to similar designs.

But we are still talking about 50M+ unit in the first month. Double of what currently Apple are doing. Not only will Foxconn have to figure out how to assemble them quickly enough, the supply chain will also have to supply enough parts per month to make up for this.
  • Reply 3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Outside North America, getting a new cell phone isn't dependent on a contract with a carrier.

• Reply 4 of 9

Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Outside North America, getting a new cell phone isn't dependent on a contract with a carrier.

That doesn't sound 100% accurate.

• Reply 5 of 9
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    ...asdf
  • Reply 6 of 9
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

The consensus is that most people get their iPhone because their contract expired. There are no statistics to how many people get the iPhone at full retail price, but from asking around it would seem that not that many people pay full retail price.
  • Reply 7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The consensus is that most people get their iPhone because their contract expired. There are no statistics to how many people get the iPhone at full retail price, but from asking around it would seem that not that many people pay full retail price.

Do you only buy your computer from your internet provider?

This is the way the rest of the world sees the North American mindset that it is somehow "normal" to get your phone from an over priced cell phone contract instead of just buying it outright like a computer.

• Reply 8 of 9

Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

This is the way the rest of the world sees the North American mindset that it is somehow "normal" to get your phone from an over priced cell phone contract instead of just buying it outright like a computer.

And yet they whine about the price of the phone. I don't get it.

• Reply 9 of 9
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    And yet they whine about the price of the phone. I don't get it.

Me neither. I bought the 5 straight from Apple's website. In spite I'm still on contract (and sold my subsidized 4). Planning on getting a SIM-only / Pre Paid after my contract expires. Whatever the price of my new way of connecting will be, it'll be cheaper than a subsidized iPhone on contract. YMMV due to call / connection habits and needs.