Apple's iPad projected to control 50% of tablet shipments through 2016

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who cares? If shipments mean anything, why not just cut aluminum blocks into trillions of pieces and ship those? There's your volume right there.

Oh, wait, no one would buy just a little piece of aluminum. No one would develop for just a little piece of aluminum. No one would be satisfied with a little piece of aluminum.

Generally shipments do have some amount of correlation to sales. These shops aren't ordering more to sit on the inventory indefinitely. You should also note that Apple does report shipments to authorized resellers as sales, so it's a little more ambiguous than you might think. All of them are eventually sold. I'm not denying that. It's just that the debate on the numbers is getting old.

• Reply 43 of 50

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

It's just that the debate on the numbers is getting old.

When the lies being perpetuated directly reflect stock prices, I think they ought to keep going until the truth is forced from everyone.

• Reply 44 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Are there any DATA to justify Windows growing its share?

Methinks not.

It's not hard to imagine if you assume every touch-enabled device which allows you to remove the keyboard can be classified as a "tablet".

• Reply 45 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When the lies being perpetuated directly reflect stock prices, I think they ought to keep going until the truth is forced from everyone.

Blah I think the issue of shipments vs sales is somewhat overstated. Retailers aren't going to perpetually order products that will never be sold. If you're hoping for a common standard in how these figures are reported, I can understand that.

• Reply 46 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hmm wrote: »

Blah I think the issue of shipments vs sales is somewhat overstated. Retailers aren't going to perpetually order products that will never be sold. If you're hoping for a common standard in how these figures are reported, I can understand that.

It does happen.
    It's not uncommon for for certain vendors to negotiate with certain retailers to take x-many units for a certain price and then return any units they don't sell after x-duration. This allows the retailer the get a discount per unit knowing full well that the vendor will not be able to sell the product.

Apple also does minimum purchase orders (likely without any possibility of a guaranteed buyback) but their success makes it unlikely that a retailer will not be able to move all units.

I've also heard about some shadier methods of multiple counting of the same unit by doing a "shell game" across receivers so it looks like there is a lot more units shipped than really did.
  • Reply 47 of 50

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've also heard about some shadier methods of multiple counting of the same unit by doing a "shell game" across receivers so it looks like there is a lot more units shipped than really did.

Replace 'unit' with 'activations' and you might just have Android.

• Reply 48 of 50

I just got paid $6784 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do,  cloud68.c om
  • Reply 49 of 50
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Told you so, Tallest :)
  • Reply 50 of 50

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Told you so, Tallest image

Told what so? Did you read the thread at all?