Latest Apple stock selloff blamed on misinterpreted story on iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60

its all about the taxes $$$

• Reply 22 of 60
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I love how everyone is so carefully not mentioning the elephant in the room.

A string of senior Apple execs all selling large percentages of their holdings in Apple stock.  It wouldn't surprise me if that has had an influence on todays slide, which Yahoo is saying has been 6.43%

Of course I could be wrong and the real reason is the Gadget show in the UK gave the thumbs down to the iPhone 5 while giving Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC One X+ their vote.

• Reply 23 of 60

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

They debunked it in the three earlier threads, I think.

• Reply 24 of 60
    I could have guessed it was Munster and his kool-aid saying everything will be all right. If there's a used car salesman on Wall Street, it has to be Gene.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I could have guessed it was Munster and his kool-aid saying everything will be all right. If there's a used car salesman on Wall Street, it has to be Gene.
    So what exactly is wrong (that Apple can control)?
  • Reply 26 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnocbui wrote: »

A string of senior Apple execs all selling large percentages of their holdings in Apple stock.  It wouldn't surprise me if that has had an influence on todays slide, which Yahoo is saying has been 6.43%

Of course I could be wrong and the real reason is the Gadget show in the UK gave the thumbs down to the iPhone 5 while giving Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC One X+ their vote.

Two executives is not a string. Besides Bob Mansfield has routinely sold off shares. So I don't think that's an indication of anything. It's probably all related to capital gains taxes anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Two executives is not a string. Besides Bob Mansfield has routinely sold off shares. So I don't think that's an indication of anything. It's probably all related to capital gains taxes anyway.

Two?

Quote:

Apple’s new Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio has sold close to US$11 million worth of Apple shares -

19 November, 2012 by Macworld Australia Staff

Apple exec Bob Mansfield sells off $20.4M worth of company stock

November 29, 2012

Apple's 'Mr. Fix-It,' Eddy Cue, Just Sold $8.8 Million Worth Of Shares (AAPL)

December 5, 2012

• Reply 28 of 60
    It never ceases to amaze me how the people in charge in DC think most folks will be stupid enough to sell stock next year instead of this year. I don't have a lot of money but I took some cap gains last month after the election. DC is in for a very rude awakening when the tax revenues they are expecting don't materialize. Just goes to show the common folks really are smarter than the politicians. :-)
  • Reply 29 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, all these made up stories about Apple have no effect on the stock price¡

Breaking: Apple to stop making everything. It's true, because it's written on the Internet buy a person.

No, but iOS has seen its last major upgrade. In June, Apple will announce a switch to Intel SoCs on all iOS devices; to be followed by a changeover to Android in Sep 13.

Cheers

• Reply 30 of 60
    Why would people sell and wait to buy in next year rather than sell and immediately buy back the same day to guarantee their cost basis and have very limited risk of loss?

In the U.S., the tax rules basically require you to wait 30 days if you want the full benefit.
  • Reply 31 of 60

Since when is this tax which some here desperately cling to as a reason for the drop specific to Apple? Shouldn't the whole market have fallen the same? The Dow is up 0.64% today and the Nasdaq is down 0.77%. Neither is down 6.43% like Apple. So either this tax applies just to Apple or this explanation for Apple's drop today is silly.

• Reply 32 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by galore2112 View Post

Since when is this tax which some here desperately cling to as a reason for the drop specific to Apple? Shouldn't the whole market have fallen the same? The Dow is up 0.64% today and the Nasdaq is down 0.77%. Neither is down 6.43% like Apple. So either this tax applies just to Apple or this explanation for Apple's drop today is silly.

I'll go for Door #2.

• Reply 33 of 60

to some degree it has happened to other stocks but apple has such a large share price that individual investors do not own enough to trade in volumes large enough to significantly affect the price.  Institutional investors do however, and when they trade in large volumes because of tax implications or portfolio performance metrics it can quickly alter not only the stock price but also perception of the stocks value.

• Reply 34 of 60
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    Why would people sell and wait to buy in next year rather than sell and immediately buy back the same day to guarantee their cost basis and have very limited risk of loss?

In the U.S., the tax rules basically require you to wait 30 days if you want the full benefit.

For realized losses, not for gains. Presumably the people selling have gains.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So we're supposed to believe Apple's shares are down almost 6% because of a rumor from DigiTimes? Seriously?

You obviously have no clue about how Apple stock is continuously manipulated by the hedge funds and other institutional investors. They use every little opportunity to drive big moves in this stock to their advantage, like a yoyo.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    This statement in the article is total speculation, and total nonsense - "Cue and other executives at Apple have sold millions of dollars worth of shares in recent months in anticipation of a capital gains tax increase that will take effect on Jan. 1, 2013."

Apple execs certainly know that their stock is grossly undervalued right now so why would they be selling shares. The answer is quite clear - to actually cover and pay their huge tax liabilities coming due based on their options vesting. Period.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimTrady View Post

to some degree it has happened to other stocks but apple has such a large share price that individual investors do not own enough to trade in volumes large enough to significantly affect the price.  Institutional investors do however, and when they trade in large volumes because of tax implications or portfolio performance metrics it can quickly alter not only the stock price but also perception of the stocks value.

Google's stock price went up even more than Apple's in the past few months. They're also heavily held by institutional investors. Yet Google's stock isn't taking nearly the same hit. (Tho they almost certainly will, perhaps within weeks, due to hanging legal issues.)

There's something going on other than cashing in to pay taxes affecting Apple's stock price IMO.

• Reply 38 of 60

if you compare apples' chart with googles' over the last 3 years you will see that holders of apple stock are likely to have a much larger profit!

• Reply 39 of 60
    Nor does three make a string - This statement in the article is total speculation, and total nonsense - "Cue and other executives at Apple have sold millions of dollars worth of shares in recent months in anticipation of a capital gains tax increase that will take effect on Jan. 1, 2013."

Apple execs certainly know that their stock is grossly undervalued right now so why would they be selling shares. They gave far more upside potential than they do tax liabilities for capital gains. The answer is quite clear - to actually cover and pay their huge tax liabilities coming due based on their options vesting. Period. IRS rules in options tax you when they vest. Executives also can only sell during open windows (specific periods of time) under SEC rules, and not just anytime they want to.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimTrady View Post

if you compare apples' chart with googles' over the last 3 years you will see that holders of apple stock are likely to have a much larger profit!

What would three years ago have to do with selling due to high stock profits from this year? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question.