US Mac production likely to still rely on Foxconn, not American companies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I get all my socs at Walmart these days but I think they're knitted in China. ;)
  • Reply 22 of 33
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

ARM-based MacBook Air by 2014.

$999.00 -> top of the line quad-core Intel Core i7.

$17.50 -> dual-core 32-bit ARM-based A6X.

$??.?? -> quad-core 64-bit ARM-based AX?

Let's say the 2014 quad-core 64-bit ARM-based AX SoC costs Apple a whopping $50 each. That's hundreds less than the equivalent Intel chip. And that savings should more than make up the difference in total cost per MBA.

"Won't run Windows," you say? Well the MacBook Pro could keep the red-hot Intel chip just for the die-hards that need to run pro applications. A dying breed.

This isn't a good comparison at all. Sometimes your comments are just nauseating. Apple never used the $999 chips.  Intel's listed prices do not reflect Apple's costs, so they can't be directly compared to cost estimates on ARM chips. The chips 2.3 and 2.6 chips used in the standard quad core 15" macbook pro configurations are listed at $378. You can cto the 2.7 which is listed as $568. Given that these are far more powerful than any ARM chip, I don't see why you're comparing with the $1000 mark. Intel makes server processors too, some of which cost several thousand, and you can't use them in your ipad. The real stupidity here is that you're calling these "equivalent" chips. They're not equivalent at all. Intel does run on significantly higher margins, but that is a completely different issue.

• Reply 23 of 33
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    What a stupid headline and premise. Once Foxconn decides to enter the US, they will set up a legal US entity, buy or build a US manufacturing facility, hire US workers and managers, and build American products. All making them a US company. So what is the point?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

There are Americans with small hands also.Where there is a will there is a way.

• Reply 25 of 33
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What a stupid headline and premise. Once Foxconn decides to enter the US, they will set up a legal US entity, buy or build a US manufacturing facility, hire US workers and managers, and build American products. All making them a US company. So what is the point?

Yes, the reason to want manufacturing in this country, is not to enrich American companies, which are doing just fine, it's to employ American workers, who aren't doing so well.

• Reply 26 of 33
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    So is Apple bringing the jobs back to the USA or is Foxconn? Clarification?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    So is Apple bringing the jobs back to the USA or is Foxconn? Clarification?

Depends on your tilt. I'd say the most appropriate answer is both in this is clearly a joint effort from both companies. If you break it down I'd word it as Apple is bringing jobs back to the US but Foxconn is creating jobs in the US; the difference being only one company is from US.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Depends on your tilt. I'd say the most appropriate answer is both in this is clearly a joint effort from both companies. If you break it down I'd word it as Apple is bringing jobs back to the US but Foxconn is creating jobs in the US; the difference being only one company is from US.

Fair enough.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Nothing can be perfect. If Apple helps brings jobs back here. I'll be happy.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Which
    anonymouse wrote: »
    freerange wrote: »

Yes, the reason to want manufacturing in this country, is not to enrich American companies, which are doing just fine, it's to employ American workers, who aren't doing so well.
    Which isn't really true either. American workers are doing very well compared to someplaces in this world. The big problem is that many workers have abandoned traditional American work ethic and have enlisted with the Democrats to become leaches upon the working majority. In effect they have made them selves un employable.

Now many on these forums won't like that statement but tough luck, I actually work in manufacturing in the US and see clearly just how big of a problem this has become.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    winter wrote: »
    Nothing can be perfect. If Apple helps brings jobs back here. I'll be happy.

I hope people won't be shocked when it is found out that the jobs are entry level paying $9.00 an hour with little in the way of benefits. Don't get me wrong it wouldn't hurt one bit to have a bit of new manufacturing in the US, I just think some are looking at this through rosé color glasses. If Apples motivation is political then frankly they are making a huge mistake and locating in Detroit would highlight the depth of the mistake. On the other hand if this is a well planed and executed move to diversify manufacturing then they will probably succeed without much effort. Of course success demands locating in an area without the problems of Detroit or Michigan in general.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    MacRumors has an article from Fortune which is guessing it will be the MacPro and employ around 200 jobs (based on the $100 million figure). But I think people are misinterpreting what Cook said. He said Apple was putting $100 million towards the project. Apple's not building their own manufacturing plant. The $100 million will go to Foxconn or whoever is doing the manufacturing. I think the MacPro is a good guess but I think it's kind of tough to estimate how many jobs this will create based on so little information. And it wouldn't surprise me if the media is low balling it to make it come across as a PR move more than anything else.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I hope people won't be shocked when it is found out that the jobs are entry level paying $9.00 an hour with little in the way of benefits. Don't get me wrong it wouldn't hurt one bit to have a bit of new manufacturing in the US, I just think some are looking at this through rosé color glasses. If Apples motivation is political then frankly they are making a huge mistake and locating in Detroit would highlight the depth of the mistake. On the other hand if this is a well planed and executed move to diversify manufacturing then they will probably succeed without much effort. Of course success demands locating in an area without the problems of Detroit or Michigan in general.
    Right now we have little information to go off of. Everything we're hearing is pure speculation. And I don't trust the media when it comes to Apple. If they want to spin this as as a PR move and nothing more they will. And they'll easily be able to find some "manufacturing expert" to pull a number out of his arse (like 200) making it look completely insignificant.