Jefferies expects 'iPhone 5S' & new iPad in summer, 'iTV' next fall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This article is a load of speculative crap! It seems all over the place to me, I don't think this guy has a clue. As for Apple's share price, I don't see it returning to the $700 mark any time soon, if ever. If an Apple iTV is ever launched then maybe, but even then only temporarily. But now I'm speculating too! So I'm going to stop...
  • Reply 22 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How can anyone with a straight face claim Apple will release a 4.8" phone when we only now got a 4" phone? If Apple was so concerned about the competition, iPhone 5 would've been a much bigger phone.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I can't even comprehend the level of horse-shit in these predictions. Its like they combined all the false rumors about the iPhone 5 and moved them to the 5S, which apparently is launching in a few months. Jesus Christ. What pisses me off is that these people actually have jobs spreading this shit, that pay millions no less. 

Oh, and love how Apple stock is still tanking, when pretty much every other major tech company is posting terrible news everyday, while all Apple's success metrics keep increasing. Just fabulous. 

• Reply 24 of 76
    haar wrote: »
    so what. does this guy say about Amazon?.... up, up and away?, how can that be?... amazon makes trinkets!.
    Well Amazon cut the price of the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD by $50 and it still barely makes the top 10 on Amazon's best seller list. Just more proof that any success the smaller Fire has is because it is cheap. Probably another reason the iPad always shows a larger share of the mobile browsing market. These cheaper tablets are probably impulse buys that get used for a week or two and then sit in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1055041-amazon-com-might-be-running-light?source=yahoo
  • Reply 25 of 76
    slurpy wrote: »
    I can't even comprehend the level of horse-shit in these predictions. Its like they combined all the false rumors about the iPhone 5 and moved them to the 5S, which apparently is launching in a few months. Jesus Christ. What pisses me off is that these people actually have jobs spreading this shit, that pay millions no less. 

Oh, and love how Apple stock is still tanking, when pretty much every other major tech company is posting terrible news everyday, while all Apple's success metrics keep increasing. Just fabulous. 
    The icing on the cake would've been predicting a touchscreen iMac and MacBook. I mean all the tech blogs tell us these don't suck and are the wave of the future. :lol:
  • Reply 26 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

iPhone 5s will be the iphone that fix the iPhone 5 bugs.

what are the bugs in iPhone 5, since I have not noticed anything with hardware?

• Reply 27 of 76

Man... Apple is hustling these days...  I wonder what got them to get new items out quicker than "usual?"

• Reply 28 of 76
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

why the heck do we keep seeing these "stories" about some "analyst" guessing what Apple will do next and when? your guess or my guess is as good as theirs, so what?

i know, because otherwise there is little to write about at all.

as to my guess, i think they are all missing what needs to be done to re-invent the living room. two things: one, a single easy to use UI that runs all the A/V stuff you got plus all that internet stuff, and two, a sound system you never have to fiddle with (a problem no TV can ever fix).

so i'd just combine an Apple TV with a very good sound bar with lots of inputs. and use apps for each gadget/service on your iPhone/iPad that launch automatically when you select any input in your overall Apple TV UI. then you just plug that into your TV, mainly using any OEM's TV like a monitor.

there are some good apps already like that. TiVo's is nice, i use it by choice when doing anything beyond changing channels, pause, etc. every OEM could readily provide an app for their networked gadgets.

all HDTV's these days are quite good. Apple is not going to "make a better TV." it needs to come up with the perfect UI.

• Reply 29 of 76
    koban4max wrote: »
    Man... Apple is hustling these days...  I wonder what got them to get new items out quicker than "usual?"
    Besides 4th gen iPad where has this happened?
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Apple sure keeps a screwy schedule lately ....

BTW, the mobile version of AI is an absolute J-O-Y to use!
    Superneatocool to use on my iPadMini!

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I buckled & bought one: White/32GB/AT&T [Verizon was sold out EVERYWHERE!]

NOTHING at all like the nightmare that is the desktop version.
  • Reply 31 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Nobody said you have to buy every new phone that comes out.

And most don't.

TS was noting that Dot Zero OS cycles every 6 months are idiotic.  Not HW cycles, especially if just for 'fixes'.  (antennas, new processors, better cameras, voice recog).  Dot Zero OSes should enable new HW features.  Dot N releases should be new features in SW. DotDot releases are bug fixes.

A DotZero release annually is probably just 'aggresive' enough for consumers and developers.  Not too long to go stagnant, but not so often that Developers go crazy keeping up.  And given the HW iOS covers (iPad, iPod, iPhone, and even the AppleTV), and the fact it really is an 'API' for apps to integrate to HW and Cloud capabilities Apples presents, it probably needs a refresh annually.

But a 's' release of hardware, which has been typically meaning 'speed' (better processor), I wouldn't try to keep a new DotZero OS in step with it.   I would hope that Apple's roadmap would futureproof the OS for future HW releases, and a DotOne or DotTwo release would enable esoteric HW capabilities within a HW release (like iTunes had to be upgraded every time a new Phone or iPod was released).

That said,having 4 phones come out during the lifespan of a 2 year contract subsidy will drive some people crazy.   I'm comfy with every 2 years, but got that 'itch' when the 4 came out (I have a 4s).   I would probably move to an 18month lifecycle given that's the typical 'grace' period, for upgrades at ATT (they'll gladly sell you a new phone to lock you in to 2 more years.)

But... Here's to the Crazy Ones!

• Reply 32 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If we see iOS 7 in the spring, get ready for (idiotic) 6-month cycles.

Idiotic to you but maybe not idiotic for Apple's business.  Here's a good read regarding why Apple may go to 6-month product cycles.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/12/06/does-s-stand-for-spring/

• Reply 33 of 76

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Idiotic to you but maybe not idiotic for Apple's business.

So why has the "one a year" system worked better than absolutely anything else anyone else has tried?

All six of those "reasons" aren't reasons.

• Reply 34 of 76

Maybe 1% of this is true.  Maybe.

If you want to see the 5s, look at your iPhone 5.  They look the same. MAYBE they'll have NFC*, or some other hardware features - no doubt faster chip, etc. But re: a 4.8" screen, nah.  And if it were true, then it's the beginning of the end, Apple is "just another hardware company." Multiple colors? Come on.  It'll look so cheap.

Apple iPanel/iTV?  Maybe.  We'll see.

6-9 month cycles?  I have my doubts.  Wonder if Jony has enough time to make the changes he'll no doubt make?

These analysts are stupid.  As much as I would like to see some leaked parts and legitimate reveals, they're just trying to justify their "buy" ratings at $700 a few months back.

*NFC not likely in this design, as someone above already pointed out.

• Reply 35 of 76
    Quote: Jefferies helped to send Apple stock downward Monday morning when it cut its price target from $900 to $800

The only thing sending the stock price down is profit-taking ahead of tax obligations.
    What would you do if you owned thousands of shares and had options for thousands more and faced a greater tax bill if you waited till 2013 to sell? We should all learn something from this.

Prediction: Jan 1, this all turns around.

nuf-said
  • Reply 36 of 76
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can anyone with a straight face claim Apple will release a 4.8" phone when we only now got a 4" phone? If Apple was so concerned about the competition, iPhone 5 would've been a much bigger phone.

Dang you said exactly what I was about to post! I agree with you.....

• Reply 37 of 76
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

IGZO LCD in 2013.

IGZO OLED in 2014.

About a year ago, there were rumors that Sharp and Apple had patented (yay patents!) a new IGZO-based OLED "printing" process.  Higher yield, lower cost.  I wouldn't expect a Retina iPad mini until Sharp's IGZO OLED plant is at full production.

Just FYI, IGZO (Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide) is a chemical compound used to make transparent electrical conductors in display panels.  IGZO is a big deal because it is 40 times more conductive than the amorphous Silicon technology used in today's LCD panels.  And it's more transparent.  So it will be possible to make more efficient LCD panels because of better conductivity, that are brighter because of improved transparency.  And the same IGZO technology can be used in OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display panels, which will be even more power-efficient (and thinner) because they don't need LED backlighting like LCD panels do. 

• Reply 38 of 76
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member

Quote:

as to my guess, i think they are all missing what needs to be done to re-invent the living room. two things: one, a single easy to use UI that runs all the A/V stuff you got plus all that internet stuff, and two, a sound system you never have to fiddle with (a problem no TV can ever fix).

so i'd just combine an Apple TV with a very good sound bar with lots of inputs. and use apps for each gadget/service on your iPhone/iPad that launch automatically when you select any input in your overall Apple TV UI. then you just plug that into your TV, mainly using any OEM's TV like a monitor.

If I may carry this a bit further, I recall Apple having an aversion to cables. I would expect everything to be in the tv set: Apple TV, tuner/cable, a good sized audio amp including an AV type device, multiple HMDI connections, wifi, and good front speakers (I just don't see a separate sound bar as part of the deal. Put that functionality in the TV and reduce the number of boxes). Couple that with a single UI remote.

You buy one box, it has two things: TV and Remote. If you have external devices (do you really need them?), connect them to HDMI. At that point, you're good to go. If you really want cable, maybe hook it to TV.

I know that if you buy a TV now, you get exacctly that: TV and Remote. But then you bring it home and connect it to an array of other boxes. Throw them out--and their remotes. I have at least five remotes sitting on my living room coffee table now--if we can find them all...

I'm not sure about cable. I have an Apple TV and I'm not sure I really need cable anymore. I can spend, say, $30 a month on purchased content and be ahead of my current cable bill.

If you really want surround sound, I would expect Apple to sell optional rear (wireless) speakers. If you want a sub, an optional (wireless) Apple Sub-Woofer.

Games: expect the TV set to have an enhanced AppleTV that lets you play games from the App Store. Do you really need a console for that?

I just don't see the need for an AV receiver in the vast majority of living rooms that would have an Apple TV.

• Reply 39 of 76
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

iPhone 5s will be the iphone that fix the iPhone 5 bugs.

What "bugs" are you referring to? The ones that don't exist?  I haven't heard of any hardware problems, so what are you talking about?

• Reply 40 of 76
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

If I may carry this a bit further, I recall Apple having an aversion to cables. I would expect everything to be in the tv set: Apple TV, tuner/cable, a good sized audio amp including an AV type device, multiple HMDI connections, wifi, and good front speakers (I just don't see a separate sound bar as part of the deal. Put that functionality in the TV and reduce the number of boxes). Couple that with a single UI remote.

You buy one box, it has two things: TV and Remote. If you have external devices (do you really need them?), connect them to HDMI. At that point, you're good to go. If you really want cable, maybe hook it to TV.

I know that if you buy a TV now, you get exacctly that: TV and Remote. But then you bring it home and connect it to an array of other boxes. Throw them out--and their remotes. I have at least five remotes sitting on my living room coffee table now--if we can find them all...

I'm not sure about cable. I have an Apple TV and I'm not sure I really need cable anymore. I can spend, say, $30 a month on purchased content and be ahead of my current cable bill.

If you really want surround sound, I would expect Apple to sell optional rear (wireless) speakers. If you want a sub, an optional (wireless) Apple Sub-Woofer.

Games: expect the TV set to have an enhanced AppleTV that lets you play games from the App Store. Do you really need a console for that?

I just don't see the need for an AV receiver in the vast majority of living rooms that would have an Apple TV.

Apple doesn't do audio, so if it has speakers in it, it will just be plain Jane audio that will only be used by some people that don't have it hooked up to a Soundbar or a REAL home theater system.

They have to at least be able to connect to a cable/satellite box with AirPlay to stream from iPad, iPhone, computer, iPod.

I can see a DVR a la Tivo capability with POTENTIALLY a large capacity Fusion drive or SSD storage.

If they used an A6X or better chip, they could do games, but maybe they can either figure out how to do multiple processors, or they have a new generation A-whatever chip they are working on.  But I see them using at least an A6X or maybe an X86 chip?  It would be nice to make it a full blown Mac, but I think they'll probably go ARM due to cost.

When you are talking wireless speakers, I can see AirPlay to a Home Theater processor and/or Soundbar and the Soundbar would hook up to a sub.