More than half of US smartphone shoppers plan to buy Apple's iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

we get one of these ever year - iPhone was also going to take over Verizon.

anyway, they should all go to BestBuy seeing how they selling iPhone 5 for 150 dollars... Never seen an iPhone discounted so early.

They will be over 50% of verizon's sales this quarter. That's not great?

• Reply 22 of 67

I bought an iPhone 5 and had to return it...purchased with a dead pixel...shouldn't QA have caught that???  Anyways, got a 4s for $50 from Best Buy...much happier now...battery seems to last longer.

• Reply 23 of 67
    I said it long ago:

There must be a new category* created, because simply stating [B]smartphone[/B] is far too broad a definition.

Considering that an iPhone 3 can still beat many of the new phones using Android, that are considered smart even though they should be what we used to call "feature phones". The features are now just based on Android, instead of the hodge-podge phone OSes of yesteryear.

* I also have suggested this long ago in regards to tablets as well. I just received an email ad for a [URL=http://www.nierle.com/s01.php?shopid=s01&sp=en&cur=eur&ag=1&pp=aa&bnr=12437&news=2067_kw50&letterid=1148]"super tablet"[/URL] for only Euro 79.95 ($105.-). There are many of these landfill objects being pushed out here in Europe for even less. Tablet in name only AFAIC.
  • Reply 24 of 67

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

we get one of these ever year - iPhone was also going to take over Verizon.

I love how three phones from one company having 50% of sales "isn't" taking over.

anyway, they should all go to BestBuy seeing how they selling iPhone 5 for 150 dollars... Never seen an iPhone discounted so early.

I'm sorry, your point is what, exactly? It's Best Buy running a sale because they're bleeding numbers. The Galaxy S3 is also being run, but you can't say we've never seen an Android phone discounted so early because the S3 is already at the end of its lifespan.

• Reply 25 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I said it long ago:

There must be a new category* created, because simply stating smartphone is far too broad a definition.

Considering that an iPhone 3 can still beat many of the new phones using Android, that are considered smart even though they should be what we used to call "feature phones". The features are now just based on Android, instead of the hodge-podge phone OSes of yesteryear.

* I also have suggested this long ago in regards to tablets as well. I just received an email ad for a "super tablet" for only Euro 79.95 ($105.-). There are many of these landfill objects being pushed out here in Europe for even less. Tablet in name only AFAIC.

This should be a sticky.

• Reply 26 of 67

good....now many people will be stuck with 5 and not 5s..

• Reply 27 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

the real WTF: the other gainer was blackberry.

You know I thought the same thing?  And then I remembered talking with a co-worker the other day, she told me she's leaving iPhone for BB10 when it's out.

To each his or her own I guess.

• Reply 28 of 67
    This means nothing. I remember last year we had similar stats for the iPhone 4s. At some point between this survey and the store the people are not buying iPhones.

EDIT: TBH I think this survey really shows how much influence the store employees have as to what you buy. 50+% people say they will buy an iphone, 50+% do not buy the iphone. I think that influence comes from the employees at the store.
  • Reply 29 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by robflip71 View Post

I bought an iPhone 5 and had to return it...purchased with a dead pixel...shouldn't QA have caught that???  Anyways, got a 4s for $50 from Best Buy...much happier now...battery seems to last longer.

A dead pixel showed up on mine after a few weeks.  And then before I could take it back, I dropped the phone (no case that day) and chipped 2 corners.  3 days later I walked into the Apple store and walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new iPhone.  Love my iPhone 5, battery is great too.

• Reply 30 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That really wouldn't be useful.

What WOULD be useful is if they explained how the sample was selected and gave us some indication of whether it's representative of phone buyers.

Wrong. There's nothing wrong with the sample size. That large of a sample would give an error margin of about 3.5-4%. As long as the observation is greater than the error margin and if the sample is representative, they can make a claim.

The problem is not the sample size, but rather the question of whether it is representative of the phone buying population as a whole. That question is much more problematic.

Sure. Any sample size is valid if the sample is random and representative. A small sample size does not make the results invalid, it merely increases the error margin. (it also depends on confidence level, but we'll leave that out)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

Of course, for a sample size of 10 and assuming a standard 95% confidence interval, the error would be +/- 31%, so it wouldn't be a very useful result in most cases, but it isn't automatically invalid.

Ah, a kindred soul (stats guy here).

Spot on comments, too.  I'd love to know how they select their samples.  On Black Friday he stood in a store and counted the number of items purchased for a few hours.  image  One store, at least from the way the article read.  These analysts...

• Reply 31 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But the survey is from Gene Munster so it's invalid, right? I mean we all know he's an Apple fanboy.
    /s
  • Reply 32 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That really wouldn't be useful.

What WOULD be useful is if they explained how the sample was selected and gave us some indication of whether it's representative of phone buyers.

Wrong. There's nothing wrong with the sample size. That large of a sample would give an error margin of about 3.5-4%. As long as the observation is greater than the error margin and if the sample is representative, they can make a claim.

The problem is not the sample size, but rather the question of whether it is representative of the phone buying population as a whole. That question is much more problematic.

Sure. Any sample size is valid if the sample is random and representative. A small sample size does not make the results invalid, it merely increases the error margin. (it also depends on confidence level, but we'll leave that out)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

Of course, for a sample size of 10 and assuming a standard 95% confidence interval, the error would be +/- 31%, so it wouldn't be a very useful result in most cases, but it isn't automatically invalid.

I suspect if you stand in Grand Central Station and get 800 results, then do the same in downtown Wichita and again near the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs the results might be different even tho the sample size is the same. Where was this survey done anyway and what was the actual question asked?

With that said I personally have little doubt that most who plan on buying a smartphone in the near future here in the US might think they intend to get an iPhone.

• Reply 33 of 67
    Wait a minute... They didn't say HOW MANY people out of the 800 were planning to buy a phone. They just said that out of 800 people, some undisclosed number of people were planning to buy a phone, And just over half of THOSE people were thinking of an iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I agree. Surveys are prone to inaccuracies due to the sample size, questions asked and bias of the interviewer, in addition to potentially poorly drawn conclusions.

What people actually do is much more important. Sitting outside an Apple store every day for a week would be more informative.

And what do you think people going into a Apple store are going to say?
  • Reply 35 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what do you think people going into a Apple store are going to say?

"Where are the restrooms?"

• Reply 36 of 67
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Who cares about Google. How much does Apple make in a quarter and year versus Google? I'll take the profits thank you. Android = No Profit. iOS = Most profitable company ever in existence. iPhone alone makes far more in profit than ALL Microsoft products combined!

The doom and gloom on Wall Street is backward justification. Stock goes down (randomly) so you have to try and explain why.
  • Reply 37 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suspect if you stand in Grand Central Station and get 800 results, then do the same in downtown Wichita and again near the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs the results might be different even tho the sample size is the same. Where was this survey done anyway and what was the actual question asked?

With that said I personally have little doubt that most who plan on buying a smartphone in the near future here in the US might think they intend to get an iPhone.

Just like the survey reported on here earlier this year that an insanely high percentage high school students surveyed were getting iPhones. Well....I asked my daughter who is in high school and she's thinks the survey is wrong. Depending on where you are. We are not in the richest area in the country and a lot of people can't afford family plans with AT&T. They are scratching by with Android for T-Mobile. My sister's family the same way. Not everyone has a lot of disposable income, NOR do they have nicely discounted corporate plans.

• Reply 38 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Of course. That's why I mentioned two or three times that the sample needs to be representative for the results to be meaningful - no matter how large the sample.
    isaidso wrote: »
    Wait a minute... They didn't say HOW MANY people out of the 800 were planning to buy a phone. They just said that out of 800 people, some undisclosed number of people were planning to buy a phone, And just over half of THOSE people were thinking of an iPhone.

Not true. They said that 53.3% were planning to buy a phone in the near future. Of that number, just over half expected to buy iPhones.

the real WTF: the other gainer was blackberry.

No, it wasn't. For a sample of this size, the error is +/- 3-4%. The two Blackberry numbers are indistinguishable. (In fact, if you use only the number who said they're planning to buy a phone soon, the error margin is even higher.
  • Reply 39 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by robflip71 View Post

So you really didn't want an iPhone 5 anyway. Why else would you return it to downgrade to a 4S?

• Reply 40 of 67

To me you are only getting a slightly bigger screen for $100 more...putting that $100 towards my Kindle Fire HD...and I'm a happy camper.