ITC judge clears Apple, Intel, HP of patent infringement allegations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Thanks. TS has a ways to go to get to number one of all time but I think he'll do it.

I can't help wonder how many high level degrees I could have achieved in the time I've spent on this site.
  • Reply 22 of 34

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thanks. TS has a ways to go to get to number one of all time but I think he'll do it.

I'd add both of your post counts together in any determination thereof, FYI. image

I can't help wonder how many high level degrees I could have achieved in the time I've spent on this site.

Still think you should've just laughed in their faces instead of resetting. Not exactly the politest thing to do, but where do they get off with that, anyway? Believing a man pathetic because he has a passion for something? That's what was truly pathetic.

Sort of wish we had "levels", like on MacRumors, delineating post amounts with a special title. I always wanted to see Eidorian get enough posts that they had to add "Core Duo" to the list above "G5". image

Well, Huddler does have an interesting reputation system; it's just turned off here. Maybe we'll turn it on, but I don't want to clutter things up. More posts = higher reputation, and you get this little badge thing by your name in the sidebar. Additionally, more posts/higher reputation = greater weighting for giving reputation to others in the form of the post thumbs-ups. So new users thumbing someone up gives one point, while older users thumbing someone up gives…

Interestingly, the system has negative rankings available, but I don't know how you'd go about actually giving someone a negative reputation…

• Reply 23 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Still think you should've just laughed in their faces instead of resetting. Not exactly the politest thing to do, but where do they get off with that, anyway? Believing a man pathetic because he has a passion for something? That's what was truly pathetic.

It was really getting hard to find old comments I had made since Solipsism is a dictionary word. I had used that handle across many sites. I felt SolipsismX would help differentiate that in searches. If I wanted to completely start anew I would have used a completely new name and only told a few about it.

PS: I like the weight adjusted comments.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I like the weight adjusted comments.

We used a similar "add to reputation" system over at TomTomforums back in the day. Some members, generally those with highest post counts, could add significantly more to another's reputation in the forum than others.

• Reply 25 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

What kind on nonsense are you spewing?  Erie, PA is in the USA, not UK.

Are you trying to make some reference to another case?  If so, provide some links and some type of tie-in to how this is related to the topic of this thread. 

Oh wait..

Of course. Obviously, a LLC (UK company, hence) is in the USA. That's why the ITC judge comes into play.

Maybe if I make it simple for you you'll understand: it's an international court, because it has two companies, in two countries, at odds.

I'm sure you get it now. Oh, wait.

• Reply 26 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If their patent is valid and actually being infringed, they have nothing to worry about.

I don't get it; if you're absolutely, objectively right, what would you ever have to fear (in any situation)?

Being absolutely, objectively right doesn't mean you'll win. enough cases in the past to not trust the future on this. Also, why even bother with having a court of appeals if people can't be wrongly convicted/cases can't be wrongly decided?

Apart from that, the fact that YOU think you're absolutely right doesn't mean the judge will agree with you. And on top of that, there always is a human factor in a court decision.

• Reply 27 of 34
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Being the little guy in America means just getting screwed over by the big boys. You can work hard, develop something and even patent it properly, but the corporations with the deep pockets can simply steal virtually anything they like. It's not a level playing field and hasn't been for decades.

• Reply 28 of 34

All:

(1) Only 2 of the 3 patents were found invalid.  The 500 patent was upheld.  So the article is  incorrect.

(2) This is not a patent troll.  X2Y actually researched and developed the patents themselves in the USA.  There are showings a plaintiff must make at the ITC which prevent trolls from asserting patents there.  X2Y met those requirements.

(3) These are hardware, not software patents.  So save the software patent rhetoric for a party that deserves it.

(4) No "clearing" has been done yet.  This is just an administrative judge finding--no final determination will be made by the ITC until 4 months from now.

• Reply 29 of 34
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Companies that frivolously sue for patent infringement should be made to pay legal fees and court costs of the sued companies, if they lose.  They'd think twice about suing.

The problem with that argument is not all patent lawsuits are frivolous where the Plaintiff loses. Further, the system you propose would go against the little guy who  probably can't afford to pay his attorney fees, much less the other sides. Moreover, the legal system often sides with the wrong party. In this case, X2Y holds patents for companies that actually do invent things, like Lucent. X2y also has companies paying a patent fee for the patents at issue. The suit likely wasn't frivolous.

Apple and HP never had to worry anyway, as Intel has an indemnification agreement that covers its customers (e.g. Apple) that get sued for using its products. I always thought companies like Samsung should push hard to support Windows Phone if not only because Microsoft does the same for those using its products.  

• Reply 30 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The problem with that argument is not all patent lawsuits are frivolous where the Plaintiff loses. Further, the system you propose would go against the little guy who  probably can't afford to pay his attorney fees, much less the other sides. Moreover, the legal system often sides with the wrong party. In this case, X2Y holds patents for companies that actually do invent things, like Lucent. X2y also has companies paying a patent fee for the patents at issue. The suit likely wasn't frivolous.

Apple and HP never had to worry anyway, as Intel has an indemnification agreement that covers its customers (e.g. Apple) that get sued for using its products. I always thought companies like Samsung should push hard to support Windows Phone if not only because Microsoft does the same for those using its products.  

Isn't Apple's indemnity limit $50? I thought that came out when some of the iOS developer's were sued by Lodsys.

• Reply 31 of 34
    Sorry boys and girls they did not win see you in court intel you been busted so funny how you think x2y is a patent troll oh by the way they license to SAMSUNG yup that mom and pop operation called Samsung they are far from patent trolls and there is even a longer list of companies that use x2y in there tech you see they didn`t want to pay for it but when its over we will have the last laugh once again the media reported it all wrong. sorry all you Intel lovers
  • Reply 32 of 34

thank you for telling the truth x2y will win all god bless

• Reply 33 of 34
    They did not win don`t know why everyone is posting this BS read carefully knuckleheads
  • Reply 34 of 34

Originally Posted by montanajoe4646 View Post

They did not win don`t know why everyone is posting this BS read carefully knuckleheads

Do you know what the word 'cleared' means in the context of legal proceedings?