Apple predicted to build cheaper 'iPhone for the masses'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    clemynx wrote: »

Is the iPad 2 diluting the image of Apple? They are very good to present new stuff in a good light. Just put it at the end of a presentation "and a new 8 Gb model, with A5 processor and in three colors". Teenagers would love it.
    The black model would remain the top of the line. It's psychological, but this kind of thing works very well on markets. It would even reinforce the feeling people have with their top-line iPhones.

T
    But the Ipad2 was once their flagship tablet, much like the iPhone 4 and 4s. They continue to make them to service the budget market. To come out with a brand new product with cheaper and older parts would diminish what apple is known for which is premium products. You can already add skins or wraps to customize your phone so I don't see them doing that but stranger things have happened.
  • Reply 102 of 122
    A few people are commenting on Virgin's $30 plan. Virgin runs on Sprint's cast off network. It is apparently inferior to, or at least incompatible with, the networks the iPhone 5 rund on. That it why Virgin does not offer the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 103 of 122

Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

A few people are commenting on Virgin's $30 plan. Virgin runs on Sprint's cast off network. It is apparently inferior to, or at least incompatible with, the networks the iPhone 5 rund on. That it why Virgin does not offer the iPhone 5.

I would have thought it was more that they have zero LTE access, and therefore wouldn't be able to market it properly. And it's a $30 plan conditionally. It's $35 under regular terms.

• Reply 104 of 122
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

All these "analyst" posts about the iPhone are just drivel. stupid drivel. i guess AI can't find much else to scrape these days. joining the Race To The Bottom in any market is the last thing Apple will ever do.

what it will do, tho, is come up with amazing new devices - at high end prices. myself, i'm waiting for the first real wristwatch video/smartphone, a la Dick Tracy. last year's Nano iPod was a tease. as soon as the iPhone guts can all be miniturized sufficiently, i expect Apple to do it. might just be a year or two. that would be a whole lot better than sticking distracting crap into your eyeglasses - we're not cyborgs.

• Reply 105 of 122
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    blackbook wrote: »
    People that don't live in the US or buy their phone outright don't want to pay $450+ for a 3 year old cell phone...

iPhone 4 with 8GB is being sold by Vodafone NZ for NZ$599, as seen here:

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobileDetails.jsp?skuId=sku22100061

4s with 16GB is NZ$849, as seen here:

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/shop/mobileDetails.jsp?skuId=sku10970011

As an example, HTC 8s is NZ$449, Sony Expertia U is NZ$399... etc.

I think both 4 and 4s should be more affordable at this stage.
  • Reply 106 of 122
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Tree pigs?
    I don't get that. What falls short?

The screen. Compared to Nexus 7, Droid DNA, HTC One X, etc. Compared to Android smartphones and tablets, it is somewhat blurry, colours are not vivid, the panel also sits a little deeper from the glass surface.

iPad 4? No doubt, best tablet in the world... Although I am shocked they didn't reduce the weight. It is heavy comparatively, seems like a shame.
  • Reply 107 of 122
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

iPad 2 no issues alongside iPad 4. iPad mini... I think it could have been more polished.

The screen. Compared to Nexus 7, Droid DNA, HTC One X, etc. Compared to Android smartphones and tablets, it is somewhat blurry....

So... the iPad 2 has "no issues" and the iPad Mini ( with a higher pixel density) is "blurry".

?

• Reply 108 of 122

the customers of which you speak are not the customers for which Apple builds devices. They're the same customers that buy $399 laptops that suck. Apple builds quality devices for people with disposable income who recognize the value in a better product. They will NEVER build a crappy device solely to capture the low-end (and low-margin) market. PC manufacturers have failed over and over again to create a sustainable business model serving "cheapest price" customers on 5% operating margin. It doesn't work, and now those businesses are the albatrosses weighing down HP and Dell. Apple, on the other hand, builds better products, makes 30% margin, and is sitting on 130B in cash with the largest market cap in the world as a result.

• Reply 109 of 122
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    The screen. Compared to Nexus 7, Droid DNA, HTC One X, etc. Compared to Android smartphones and tablets, it is somewhat blurry, colours are not vivid, the panel also sits a little deeper from the glass surface.
    iPad 4? No doubt, best tablet in the world... Although I am shocked they didn't reduce the weight. It is heavy comparatively, seems like a shame.

They did update the CPU. It's possible that they couldn't fit all the changes they wanted because they jumped the annual pipeline to get Lightning out in their flagship iPad.
  • Reply 110 of 122

Originally Posted by Jeff Blakeman View Post

the customers of which you speak are not the customers for which Apple builds devices. They're the same customers that buy $399 laptops that suck. Apple builds quality devices for people with disposable income who recognize the value in a better product.

In an ideal world. Also for most of their recent history, yes. But…

They will NEVER build a crappy device solely to capture the low-end (and low-margin) market.

Seems they already have. In two instances it works really well. In the other…

• Reply 111 of 122

iphone 5 accessosries,cable,adapter ,car charger and so on

• Reply 112 of 122
    piot wrote: »
    So... the iPad 2 has "no issues" and the iPad Mini ( with a higher pixel density) is "blurry".

In this case it's not just pixel density because everything is smaller. It's nowhere near retina quality so yes, it is blurry because of colours, contrast and other issues. Just compare one to a Nexus 7 and iPad 2.
  • Reply 113 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    In this case it's not just pixel density because everything is smaller. It's nowhere near retina quality so yes, it is blurry because of colours, contrast and other issues. Just compare one to a Nexus 7 and iPad 2.

Bullshit!

What was your previous handle(s) before getting banned?
  • Reply 114 of 122

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Bullshit!

See, that's why I don't like the idea of "switching" usernames at ALL. I would prefer having MacRumors' rule here, whereby if you're caught having more than one account, both are just banned outright, and no "moving to a new account".

He moved, wasn't banned, and that's all that I believe I can say. I don't remember if he has posted his switch publicly. Now you can see why I'm against switching.

• Reply 115 of 122
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Bullshit!

Huh? There was one move which was greenlighted by the mods. I won't go into my previous username but suffice to say I've highlighted it before to some of you.

I understand the concerns about switching but there were specific reasons for my move to a new username. I was never banned previously. Infractions, yes, but not banned.

The iPad mini screen is not great. If you don't believe it by comparing one in person, consider the following:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/05/ipad-mini-display-judged-very-capable-but-falls-short-of-ipad-and-android-competitors/
    http://www.cultofmac.com/199436/the-ipad-mini-you-should-probably-wait-until-the-second-generation-review/
    http://www.cultofmac.com/199749/the-ipad-minis-display-doesnt-stack-up-well-against-the-competition-but-theres-still-hope/

.........................................................................................

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

"...The iPad mini is certainly a very capable small Tablet, but it does not follow in Apple’s tradition of providing the best display, or at least a great display – it has just a very capable display. What’s more, the displays on existing mini Tablets from Amazon and Google outperform the iPad mini in most of our Lab tests as documented below in the Shoot-Out Comparison Table. Some of this results from constraints within the iPad product line, and some to realistic constraints on display technology and costs, but much of it is due to a number of poor choices and compromises."

"...As we have pointed out a number of times, the best way to increase visual text sharpness on any display is by using Sub-Pixel Rendering, which Apple should now implement in order for the iPad mini to become competitive on visual sharpness…"

.........................................................................................

That's what I'm telling people here, take off the blinders. Apple didn't do their best job with the iPad mini, Steve Jobs absent notwithstanding.
  • Reply 116 of 122
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The iPad mini screen is not great.
    It's better than the iPad 2 display and better than the iPhone 3GS and older display. Why? Because it's 163 PPI -and- IPS as opposed to being 132 PPI -and/or- TN.
    "...The iPad mini is certainly a very capable small Tablet, but it does not follow in Apple’s tradition of providing the best display, or at least a great display – it has just a very capable display. What’s more, the displays on existing mini Tablets from Amazon and Google outperform the iPad mini in most of our Lab tests as documented below in the Shoot-Out Comparison Table. Some of this results from constraints within the iPad product line, and some to realistic constraints on display technology and costs, but much of it is due to a number of poor choices and compromises."

Where did Apple provide the best display for the iPod Touch WHICH CAME AFTER THE IPHONE? They didn't, at least not until the iPod Touch for 2012 which means 4 generations of iPod Touch displays were inferior to the displays used on the iPhone that came months before it. They also used a lower PPI on the iPad than the iPhone and we know which came out after the other one.

It's very simple. The only reasonable way to make the iPad mini work was to use a 1024x768 display so they iPad apps would still work relatively well. They then choose 163 PPI panels because they had a lot of experience with those from 3 generations of iPhone and iPod Touches. All of this allows for great quality with a lower cost. When the time is right — I don't think before 2014 — they will release an iPad mini with a Retina display that is still lightweight and has a 10 hour battery.

Let's not forget that in the year 2012 it was still seen as impossible for Apple to offer a 2048x1536 display on such a small device that runs ARM and is expected to have a 10 hour battery life (which they did by making it thicker and heavier) and now you and et al. are acting disappointed because in that same year in a much smaller package with a much denser display it's not feasible.
    "...As we have pointed out a number of times, the best way to increase visual text sharpness on any display is by using Sub-Pixel Rendering, which Apple should now implement in order for the iPad mini to become competitive on visual sharpness…"

How can anyone claim to be an expert of displays and not understand how sub pixels are lad out.
  • Reply 117 of 122
    It's better than the iPad 2 display and better than the iPhone 3GS and older display. Why? Because it's 163 PPI -and- IPS as opposed to being 132 PPI -and/or- TN.

Yes, perhaps (not necessarily IMO) better than the iPad 2 and of course better than an iPhone 3GS display. But we're comparing to Nexus 7, for example.

Nexus 7 is 216 ppi, 720p HD (1280x800 actually) and IPS.

Nexus 7 has a better contrast ratio than even the iPad 3:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nexus-7-test-jelly-bean,3249-5.html
  • Reply 118 of 122
    (Edit: Duplicate, Apologies)
  • Reply 119 of 122
    Yes, perhaps (not necessarily IMO) better than the iPad 2 and of course better than an iPhone 3GS display. But we're comparing to Nexus 7, for example.
    Nexus 7 is 216 ppi, 720p HD (1280x800 actually) and IPS.
    Nexus 7 has a better contrast ratio than even the iPad 3:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nexus-7-test-jelly-bean,3249-5.html

Let's ignore that your point has changed this make belief "tradition" of Apple providing the best display you're now upset that Apple's display doesn't have a PPI as high as some other device? Big fucking deal. At CES we'll see some other crap that will go nowhere that will try to claim that it's slightly higher than some other device.

Guess what? The Nexus 10 is 300 PPI thus beating the iPad at 264 PPI but I think it would foolish for Apple to **** itself, their developers, and customer base to create a 301 PPI display just to get ahead of the Nexus 10.

PS: It's odd that you'd argue that Nexus has a better contrast ratio but ignore that iPad mini is brighter. No, wait, ignoring certain details to make a parisian point over any attempt at an objective and rational comment, no, that's not odd for you at all.
  • Reply 120 of 122
    Let's ignore that your point has changed this make belief "tradition" of Apple providing the best display you're now upset that Apple's display doesn't have a PPI as high as some other device? Big fucking deal. At CES we'll see some other crap that will go nowhere that will try to claim that it's slightly higher than some other device.
    Guess what? The Nexus 10 is 300 PPI thus beating the iPad at 264 PPI but I think it would foolish for Apple to **** itself, their developers, and customer base to create a 301 PPI display just to get ahead of the Nexus 10.
    PS: It's odd that you'd argue that Nexus has a better contrast ratio but ignore that iPad mini is brighter. No, wait, ignoring certain details to make a parisian point over any attempt at an objective and rational comment, no, that's not odd for you at all.

I'm not sure why you're going nuts over this. I'm just saying the iPad mini is not great and that the Nexus 7 has a better screen.

Talking about specs, I thought (and still believe) that specs per se are not important for Apple ~ it's the experience, and the experience of the iPad mini is not that polished, IMO, regardless of specs of this or that device.

And was it not Steve Jobs' comment that taking an iPad interface and shrinking it to 7" would require users to "shave" down their fingers to use it properly? Perhaps that's why an iPad mini was never released during his tenure? Food for thought. No "bashing", "slamming" or anything going on. Just discussion.