Some users report iPhone 5 battery life issues with iOS 6.0.2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's newly released iOS 6.0.2 update for the iPhone 5 and iPad mini may have resolved some Wi-Fi issues, but some users say it seems to have also reduced their battery life.

A handful of readers reached out to AppleInsider to say they have noticed poorer battery life on their iPhone after upgrading to iOS 6.0.2. Specifically, one reader said they noticed their battery draining "substantially faster."

In addition, a small number of users have created a thread at Apple's official support forums (via Ars Technica) to share their own evidence of battery problems with iOS 6.0.2.

"It is absolutely draining my battery," user 'atdguy' wrote. "I can usually get through a day with about 75% of my battery power remaining. Today I've gone through 90% and I've done nothing special with it."

iOS 6

Others posting at Apple's site said that the release of iOS 6.0.2 actually introduced Wi-Fi connectivity issues for them. The software update, released on Tuesday, was intended to address previous Wi-Fi bugs for the iPhone and iPad mini.

All of the users who commented or e-mailed say they are experiencing the battery drain issues with their iPhone 5. There was no mention of iOS 6.0.2 battery problems with the iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Blah.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Some people's gadgets get borked by every update released. So what? Why is this even news anymore? So we can read the outraged responses by the clueless who have to be led by the nose to a solution? Funny reading but not news fit for the front page of AI.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    This seen to be a continue issue every time a new iPhone is introduce to the market. The Battery issue was also in the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s when they came out.
  • Reply 4 of 39

I never got below 80% yesterday, for the first time, ever, on my 5. 6.0.2 has, so far for me, been fine. To be honest, I don't usually have the issues that some have. Lucky, I guess.

To be honest, the only issue I've noticed in the past week was my battery drained faster after I tried Google Maps the first time. It might be me, but after I fully quit it and recharged my phone, it's been fine, since.

• Reply 5 of 39

My girlfriend's phone has been sluggish since the 6.0.2 update - she didn't notice battery issues.  She's been a bit sluggish since the phone launched and she's not happy about it.  We are close to a trip to the Apple store for a swap out.

Both of our non-jailbroken phones (one iPhone 5 and one iPhone 4S) on iOS 6 have had some issues with the camera app - take a photo and the app freezes and you need to hit the home button to exit.  

The camera issue wasn't resolved in iOS 6.0.2

• Reply 6 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Batterygate!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I don't have an iPhone 5, but I do notice my iPhone 4S doesn't get anywhere near the battery life it did with iOS 5. I was almost never below 50% and now I'm sometimes down to 19% by the end of the day. I'm down to 86% already from 100% about 1.5hrs ago. I've only talked on the phone once for about a minute. 

• Reply 8 of 39
    These people don't even have iPhones.... everything is fine on 6.0.2. Battery life as good as before.
  • Reply 9 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't have an iPhone 5, but I do notice my iPhone 4S doesn't get anywhere near the battery life it did with iOS 5. I was almost never below 50% and now I'm sometimes down to 19% by the end of the day. I'm down to 86% already from 100% about 1.5hrs ago. I've only talked on the phone once for about a minute. 

Have you tried to empty the battery, let the phone die and recharge the phone again? I do this once every month and I never have issues with my battery. I also have a iPhone 4s.

• Reply 10 of 39
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Have you tried to empty the battery, let the phone die and recharge the phone again? I do this once every month and I never have issues with my battery.

I haven't done this in a while and I'm finding that I'm eating through about 45-50% of my battery charge in a typical day, where previously I would only use up 35-40%. I'll be sure to let my battery drain completely at least once over the weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

• Reply 11 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    In related news, another day, another 2% drop in AAPL price.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Goddammit.
  • Reply 13 of 39

There aren't any issues. There just aren't. I don't have to have a single device with iOS 6.x.x to know that. This is people who refuse to follow instructions on how to take care of their batteries and they're paying for it.

I still get a day's worth of idle time on my first-gen iPhone. It's ludicrous what people do to their devices. 

• Reply 14 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Batterygate!!!!!
    ive noticed it on my phone since updating, Nothing terrible but definitely quicker drain than before I updated. Grr...
  • Reply 15 of 39
    starbird73 wrote: »
    I never got below 80% yesterday, for the first time, ever, on my 5. 6.0.2 has, so far for me, been fine. To be honest, I don't usually have the issues that some have. Lucky, I guess.

To be honest, the only issue I've noticed in the past week was my battery drained faster after I tried Google Maps the first time. It might be me, but after I fully quit it and recharged my phone, it's been fine, since.

Thank you. I mean funny that its always the phones software and NEVER an app that's the buzzkill on battery life. Listen up peeps - PROCESSOR working overtime on your LOCATION SERVICES embedded in apps of all kinds -- excessive battery drain is a direct result of the now TONS of Apps using this feature. Admit that LS is way way more prevelent on Apps than ever before. ????
  • Reply 16 of 39
    They will fix it in another update. I have not seen any battery issues in iOS 6.1 beta 4
  • Reply 17 of 39
    rogifan wrote: »
    ive noticed it on my phone since updating, Nothing terrible but definitely quicker drain than before I updated. Grr...

I recommend going to the Genius Bar if the next update doesn't fix it for you. You might get a new or refurbished phone under warranty.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I've noticed some pretty severe battery life issues with my iPhone 4 ever since I upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 as well, but that's probably old news.

• Reply 19 of 39

Exactly- that's what happened to me when I got the IPhone 5- it was one app constantly using location services.

• Reply 20 of 39
    Good, then release 6.1 already because my battery is worthless after 6.0.2. Watched The Hobbit last night, and without touching my phone for 3 hours, it managed to go from 99% to 73%. Something is running in the background and it's murdering my battery. Did the usual Reset Network Settings wtf routine you normally do after updates to clean out what gets borked in the process, but no luck. If it doesn't get better, I'll try a full backup/restore, but I'm still thinking it's 6.0.2 and not my phone.