Jobs family yacht seized in Amsterdam over 3M euro dispute with designer

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

If you negotiate a percentage of the total cost, you have to accept that it might not be what you estimated.

You don't have enough detail to assess that. Clearly he has some kind of proof if it was enough to sequester the yacht.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they were expecting it to cost 150m euros and actually saved 45m, an extra 3m doesn't seem that significant. Still, without a formal contract, maybe they can haggle him down to 5 euros. I'm guessing the Jobs family has already paid for the boat though so it's probably in their best interests to pay the extra.

I don't particularly like the style of the boat. It's quite a contrast between Apple's rounded corners and this squared off design. There aren't many examples of boats that aren't garish to look at so it will still stand amongst the better ones but it doesn't look like it's worth 105m euros. None of the yachts here look like they're worth what they cost either:

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/top-12-high-tech-luxury-yachts/

but I suppose the same goes for a movie blockbuster or video game.

I think it's tacky. The word "iTanic" came to mind.

• Reply 42 of 48

So can I claim that my MacBook Pro costs less to build that what Apple's charging and pay them that?

• Reply 43 of 48
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hey AI, how about reporting on this instead? http://beta.fool.com/jaans/2012/12/21/apple-ipad-mini-screaming/19544/?ticker=AAPL&source=eogyholnk0000001
    Estimates of 12M mini's sold this quarter and Intermedia reporting that Apple owns 92.6% of the small to medium-sized business market, with Android not even making a blip on the radar. Yeah yeah yeah I know the mini estimate is coming from DigiTimes but AI seems to report everything else from them so why not this?
    Or how about Apple capturing a record 53% of the smartphone market in the US?
    http://************/2012/12/21/report-iphone-captures-record-53-of-u-s-smartphone-market-for-the-first-time-as-android-drops-to-42/

You must have missed the memo.

That's good news about Apple. The only meme that currently sells about Apple is the other kind.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

At least with it impounded they don't have to worry about getting lost at sea :p

• Reply 45 of 48
    This is the first time I've heard about people angry with the designer because the cost came in significantly under the estimate!

I'm surprised they are begrudging Stark his $9m. Seems to me they should give him a bonus. (Normally designers are involved in production and so they keep a lot of control over the costs).

D
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Jobs would have got rid of his ass! Quick smart. & said design sux! Do another more cleaner design.
  • Reply 47 of 48

Originally Posted by Gold Master View Post

Jobs would have got rid of his ass! Quick smart. & said design sux! Do another more cleaner design.

This is Jobs' design. Please never claim that you know what Steve Jobs would have done.

• Reply 48 of 48
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Steve Jobs and Phillip Starck... What could possibly go wrong. :

Totally. Poor Steve. Not something he would be happy with. Never mind if it was already built, it would never have left the shipyard in its present state ~if Jobs were alive~.

Funny how without Steve around everything seems to be falling apart.