Apple's MacBook Pro, MacBook Air to retain current designs in reported June refresh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple will reportedly update the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air product lines in June 2013 with upgraded innards, but no major design changes are expected for either laptop range.

MacBook Air

According to the hit-and-miss publication DigiTimes, Taiwanese supply chain sources said Apple recently issued requests for quotations (RFQs) for a number of notebooks, including the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, with the new models slated to reach consumers in June 2013.

Little information was offered regarding the revised MacBook Pro as the publication focused its report on the effect Apple's MacBook Air will have on so-called Ultrabook makers next year. For 2013, Apple's thin-and-light is said to be switching to a new processor platform, most likely Intel's next-generation Haswell architecture.

As for design, sources say no major changes are planned for either product line. While the MacBook Pro line was the recipient of a design overhaul with the Retina display model, non-Retina versions still sport a unibody chassis largely unaltered since its debut in 2008. The MacBook Air's enclosure was revamped in 2010, taking on a more angular look as Apple applied design cues learned from its development of the iPad.

DigiTimes also suggests Apple may cut MacBook Air prices ahead of the June launch, but such a move is unlikely considering the company has no recent history of discounting products prior to a newer version's release. The publication made similar claims in May when it incorrectly predicted that Apple would introduce a $799 version of the laptop in the third quarter of 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Apple will reportedly update the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air product lines in June 2013 with upgraded innards, but no major design changes are expected for either laptop range.

DigiTimes, you don't say. Hmpf, what do others think about this journalistic website?

Ah, ok. May 23, 2012
    Hi Mr. McCracken,

Thank you for writing about us.

Digitimes has indeed reported much on Apple, and many of the products that we said would be launched have never been launched, or have had their launches delayed. But that does not mean that we were crying wolf or passing along gossip. In fact, Apple have a lot of its R&D projects and ideas tried out at its supply chain partners in Asia. Many of the prototypes created by the supply chain partners will never make it to the market after Apple’s assessments. This is one of the major reasons why a lot of the information we have disclosed has been seen by others as inaccurate, but is still valuable to our reader base in the supply chain. We understand the risks behind the kind of reporting we have been doing.

In the future we will implement even stricter requirements for verification of such stories. We will also add more analyses to such stories to provide readers with more valuable information.

Joseph Chen
    Deputy Managing Editor
    DIGITIMES WWWatch
  • Reply 2 of 54

Over on MacRumors the same article says MBA will get retina in June.  I want a MBA and I want retina - just not sure if Apple can do this just yet.  Maybe 2014?

• Reply 3 of 54
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    This might sound tacky but I want to see white versions of the MacBook Pro to match the white iPad and iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Will Haswell be available this early?

I'm waiting for the 2nd gen rMBP to come out before I jump in. As it stands, the current model's chips don't seem particularly well optimized for it. So the sooner we see a refresh, the better.

• Reply 5 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Over on MacRumors the same article says MBA will get retina in June.

I noticed the same thing. I mean, I know it's DigiTimes, but do they really say two different things on the same site?

• Reply 6 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    blackbook wrote: »
    This might sound tacky but I want to see white versions of the MacBook Pro to match the white iPad and iPhone.

Done in a white plastic type substance rather than aluminum (assuming it's physically possible for heat and strength at these thin sizes) it would make a good educational mode perhaps.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I noticed the same thing. I mean, I know it's DigiTimes, but do they really say two different things on the same site?

That sounds like a 'biblical' achievement if they have. Perhaps they have an old and new testament version of their reports?
  • Reply 8 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Over on MacRumors the same article says MBA will get retina in June.  I want a MBA and I want retina - just not sure if Apple can do this just yet.  Maybe 2014?

It's really not a great idea at least currently, you'd end up with integrated graphics and small battery packed with a retina display and a less than stellar experience. 2014 may be doable with Broadwell as Intel has some new graphics platform supposedly in the works. (2013/Haswell will just be beefed up IB GPUs)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Will Haswell be available this early?

I'm waiting for the 2nd gen rMBP to come out before I jump in. As it stands, the current model's chips don't seem particularly well optimized for it. So the sooner we see a refresh, the better.

How so? I have the 15in rMBP and it's easily the best machine I've ever owned, flies through everything I throw at it in either OSX or Windows 7 (Boot Camp). Now I wouldn't touch the current 13in with a '10ft pole'. No discrete graphics definitely shows.

• Reply 9 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That sounds like a 'biblical' achievement if they have. Perhaps they have an old and new testament version of their reports?Or perh

Or perhaps MacRumors has the limited edition "Digitimes BS decoder ring."

• Reply 10 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's really not a great idea at least currently, you'd end up with integrated graphics and small battery packed with a retina display and a less than stellar experience. 2014 may be doable with Broadwell as Intel has some new graphics platform supposedly in the works. (2013/Haswell will just be beefed up IB GPUs)

That's what I was afraid of.

• Reply 11 of 54
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Done in a white plastic type substance rather than aluminum (assuming it's physically possible for heat and strength at these thin sizes) it would make a good educational mode perhaps.
    Not white plastic but white glass around the display and white keys in the aluminum design.
  • Reply 12 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That sounds like a 'secular media' achievement if they have. Perhaps they have new contradictory version of their reports every hour?

FTFY

• Reply 13 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Is this the same DigiTimes claiming Intel is working with HP and Levovo on "Smart TVs"? :no:
  • Reply 14 of 54
    rogifan wrote: »
    Is this the same DigiTimes claiming Intel is working with HP and Levovo on "Smart TVs"? :no:

It's the same DigiTimes claiming anything and everything.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Not white plastic but white glass around the display and white keys in the aluminum design.

Wow!  that sounds hideous!  I think they'd need to lighten up the aluminum color to almost white too, which can be done and still be aluminum.

Quote:

the 13" runs fine... not sure your problem with HD 4000.

I have a 15" and 90% of everything I do on it I have the HD 4000 locked on and running a full 2880x1800 non scaled res, and it handles it great.  I only turn on the nvidia for playing a few games (some older ones I still run on the Intel because it runs cooler), and for external video because I have no choice.

• Reply 16 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Wow!  that sounds hideous!  I think they'd need to lighten up the aluminum color to almost white too, which can be done and still be aluminum.

Maybe if they mimic the white/silver black/slate color palette of the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini? I don't know, but I just want a MacBook Pro that matches my white iPhone and iPad.

• Reply 17 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Maybe if they mimic the white/silver black/slate color palette of the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini? I don't know, but I just want a MacBook Pro that matches my white iPhone and iPad.

Try this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/ColorPlace-Gloss-Spray-Paint-White/17011150
  • Reply 18 of 54

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

White and aluminum don't look as good as black and aluminum. Why they didn't just leave the iPhone 5's back unpainted across both I'll never know.

• Reply 19 of 54

Gotta say being a mac head has its advantages. There's a lot to choose from out of AAPL. Sure wish I'd bought it at the $200/share level when I thought about it.

I've been a mac user since 1992. My desktop of choice has been the iMac for a long time. I think I have had every model except the one with the crane neck. My current silver one is a 2007 edition, so I likely will need to think replacement at some point. Normally it would be to the next iMac, but now there are plenty of alternatives. An investment in a stand-alone display, now that prices are within reach, gives a lot of value and flexibility. Hook it to a mac mini or one of these MBPs or Airs, and you're looking at lots of flexibility and upgrade potential. All of that adds up to value; and, all of it just works. Never lost productivity on a mac; can't say the same of other systems I am forced to use by employers.

Choices are good.

• Reply 20 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

How so? I have the 15in rMBP and it's easily the best machine I've ever owned, flies through everything I throw at it in either OSX or Windows 7 (Boot Camp). Now I wouldn't touch the current 13in with a '10ft pole'. No discrete graphics definitely shows.

I had the 15" rMBP for a couple weeks to use and configure for my business partner.  It is without a doubt the nicest macbook Apple has made.  What makes it great is the discreet Nvidia graphics.  I turned off the Nvidia GPU from time-to-time just to see the video performance with the native Intel GPU and it is noticeable.  The Nvidia GPU has the horsepower to run that display.  The Intel graphics feels clunky in comparison.

I had considered upgrading my 2011-MBA to the new 13" rMBP but immediately shelved that thought the moment I realized the 13" model does not have discreet graphics.  Intel does a lousy job, and on a pro-model, Apple should have discreet graphics on it.  Such a shame it did not, give the price.

So with that, I patiently wait any 13" retina with a serious graphics GPU option.  Intel just won't cut it.