Intel expected to unveil cable service, set-top box at CES

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Notice how they all say "up to" when advertising bandwidth?

DSL, cable, satellite, even dial-up says that. However I have at no time received less than for which I have paid while on DSL. Coupled with downtimes only coinciding with local overarching power outages, I'd say that it's the right way to go.

And hey, if what you say is actually true, it's really the right way to stay, since fewer users means more bandwidth for those left behind. Tee hee.

Who knows: maybe someday the telecoms will be forced to actually, you know, lay fiber everywhere, replacing copper. But I'll probably be on my first self-grown organ replacement by then.

• Reply 62 of 91
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    DSL, cable, satellite, even dial-up says that. However I have at no time received less than for which I have paid while on DSL. Coupled with downtimes only coinciding with local overarching power outages, I'd say that it's the right way to go.

And hey, if what you say is actually true, it's really the right way to stay, since fewer users means more bandwidth for those left behind. Tee hee.

Who knows: maybe someday the telecoms will be forced to actually, you know, lay fiber everywhere, replacing copper. But I'll probably be on my first self-grown organ replacement by then.

Some were actually given billions to do just that and they squandered the money.
  • Reply 63 of 91

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Some were actually given billions to do just that and they squandered the money.

Every time I'm reminded of that.

• Reply 64 of 91
    What about wireless broadband? With the ever increasing speed and availability of wireless broadband, at what point do the cable companies become worried and either provide better quality of service and content? Or do they simply whore themselves out as the dumb pipe through which content is provided?
  • Reply 65 of 91

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

What about wireless broadband?

Do you mean cellular data or something else?

• Reply 66 of 91
    What about wireless broadband?

Do you mean cellular data or something else?
    Cellular. Obviously not in the near future, but definitely I can see it within my lifetime.
  • Reply 67 of 91

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Cellular. Obviously not in the near future, but definitely I can see it within my lifetime.

I hope you plan to live as long as I do, then. I did the math a few years back. Even with my near-extortionate price for DSL, it's 968x cheaper than the same data sent to me over a cellular data plan.

NINE HUNDRED SIXTY-EIGHT TIMES CHEAPER.

Take into consideration caps, throttling, and banned behaviors and we're looking at something akin to the American Revolution in scale to actually enact any change in this regard. Landline ISPs sleep soundly knowing that their wireless counterparts (and in some cases, halves of the same company) have agreed not to give people anything good.

• Reply 68 of 91
    I hope you plan to live as long as I do, then. I did the math a few years back. Even with my near-extortionate price for DSL, it's 968x cheaper than the same data sent to me over a cellular data plan.

NINE HUNDRED SIXTY-EIGHT TIMES CHEAPER.

Take into consideration caps, throttling, and banned behaviors and we're looking at something akin to the American Revolution in scale to actually enact any change in this regard. Landline ISPs sleep soundly knowing that their wireless counterparts (and in some cases, halves of the same company) have agreed not to give people anything good.
    Yes but that is now. Things do change. Look at how much convergence has happened in the last ten years. Also after thinking about it, my unlimited data plan on my iPad is about 45 percent cheaper than my cable modem, the only difference I see is that my cable modem is about 15 times faster.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Yes but that is now. Things do change. Look at how much convergence has happened in the last ten years.

Sure, cellular data will likely get much cheaper, but cabled ISP rates will also likely get much cheaper. You also have to consider data usage growth. If AT&T will give you 100GB per month of LTE data at $20 but by that time iTunes Store HD content is 4K at 15GB per 1 hour of video then it might not look so great if that is the average user's needs.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Making interesting video content takes a lot of time, talent and money helps grease that wheel too. The independents have grown, but I just don't see where the established content system is going to be marginalized in the next 10 years.

True for video content, but I was talking about communication content. People are showing themselves to be more interested in connectiong with each other than in watching canned entertainment. In other words, TV watching is down, social networking is up, varying according to generation and probably by class and education.

The "entertainment industry" is plateauing or losing share. The Internet and various participatory networks and nodes, like the one we're on right now, are gaining. But I was also talking about a form of world social communication not yet available: live point-to-point asymmetric 3-D FaceTime. Low bandwidth but highly compelling. When combined with some kind of wearable stereo eyeglass-screens, the most compelling form of communication yet invented. It will really be reality TV.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I also dislike that I can't choose what media I can share to the device. I need to have Home Sharing turned on but then I can't select with content is available. If it's in my iTunes library that AppleTV will have access to it. If there is a better solution I don't know what it is.

There is a preference for specifying selected playlists for home sharing in iTunes. Is this not sufficient for what you want to do?
  • Reply 72 of 91
    quinney wrote: »
    There is a preference for specifying selected playlists for home sharing in iTunes. Is this not sufficient for what you want to do?

I originally thought this would do it but it still shows (for example) Music, even if Music isn't checked so long as there is at least one song in my Music library. If I remove all the music from my Music library it will go away. Same for TV Shows and Movies.

• Reply 73 of 91

I originally thought this would do it but it still shows (for example) Music, even if Music isn't checked so long as there is at least one song in my Music library. If I remove all the music from my Music library it will go away. Same for TV Shows and Movies.

I haven't tried it, so I will take your word for it. It almost seems like a bug that you can intentionally deselect something and it still gets shared.
    I don't understand Apple's logic in this instance.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    I haven't tried it, so I will take your word for it. It almost seems like a bug that you can intentionally deselect something and it still gets shared.

It does seem like a bug to me but since there is that line between Share my library on my local network and Home Sharing... which has me wondering if they are, in fact, different services. I can't say I fully understand Home Sharing compared to the Library sharing we had previously. I just want to have certain content accessible from the Apple TV and I want it to be simple. Except for the ease of AirPlay I wondered if perhaps a Roku might have been a better fit for me.
  • Reply 75 of 91

It does seem like a bug to me but since there is that line between Share my library on my local network and Home Sharing... which has me wondering if they are, in fact, different services. I can't say I fully understand Home Sharing compared to the Library sharing we had previously. I just want to have certain content accessible from the Apple TV and I want it to be simple. Except for the ease of AirPlay I wondered if perhaps a Roku might have been a better fit for me.

Does the Roku have a way of selecting what gets shared from your library? For such a low price, I was thinking of buying one just for HBOGo, since the iPad HBOGo app doesn't support AirPlay video and I don't have a Mac which supports AirPlay mirroring yet.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    Does the Roku have a way of selecting what gets shared from your library? For such a low price, I was thinking of buying one just for HBOGo, since the iPad HBOGo app doesn't support AirPlay video and I don't have a Mac which supports AirPlay mirroring yet.

I know it's simpler. I assume it more like the old MP3 players that basically just accessed stuff from folders. That's how I was storing all my videos but now that I have a gen 3 Apple TV and the iVI app ($10 and worth every penny) I've been using imetadata data, convert container or codecs (if needed), and adding to iTunes. CPU has been at 100% for over a week straight and still have a few days to go.
  • Reply 77 of 91

I know it's simpler. I assume it more like the old MP3 players that basically just accessed stuff from folders. That's how I was storing all my videos but now that I have a gen 3 Apple TV and the iVI app ($10 and worth every penny) I've been using imetadata data, convert container or codecs (if needed), and adding to iTunes. CPU has been at 100% for over a week straight and still have a few days to go.

Well, after all that effort let's hope Apple updates its AppleTV home sharing setup to be aware of your sharing preferences.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    Well, after all that effort let's hope Apple updates its AppleTV home sharing setup to be aware of your sharing preferences.

There are certainly a lot of little things they could do to increase the usability and UX considerably. I hop that the increased success of the Apple TV HW sales has been enough to get them to invest more heavily in the product category. As Steve Jobs once said, "No one has succeeded yet."

PS: Here is the full quote...
    No one has succeeded yet. We tried with Apple TV. Apple TV was designed to be an accessory for iTunes and your computer. That's not what people wanted.

And here is another one from All Things D that I love (full disclosure: I love it because it mirrors what I had been saying for years)....
    "The problem with innovation in the television industry is the go to market strategy. The television industry fundamentally has a subsidized business model that gives everybody a set top box for free, or for $10 a month. And that pretty much squashes innovation because no one is willing to buy a set top box. Ask TiVo. Ask Replay TV. Ask Roku, Ask Vudu, Ask us, Ask Google in a few months. Sony's tried, Panasonic's tried, we've all tried. So, all you can do is add a box onto the TV system. You can say … I'll add another little box with another one You end up with a table full of remotes, cluster full of boxes, bunch of UIs. The only way that's ever gonna change is if you really go back toy square one and you tear up the set top box and design it with a consistent UI and deliver it to the customer in a way they're willing to pay for it. Right now there's no way to do that. So that's the problem with the TV market.
    We decided, do we want a better tv or a better phone? The phone won out because there was no way to get it to market. What do we want more? A better tablet or a better tv? Well, probably a better tablet. But it doesn't matter because there's no way to get a tv to market. The TV is going to lose until there is a viable go to market strategy, otherwise you're just making another TiVo.
    That make sense?
    It's not a problem of technology, it's not a problem of vision, it's a fundamental go-to-market problem.
    There isn't a cable operator that's national, there's a bunch of operators. And it's not like there's GSM, where you build a phone and it works in all these other countries. No every single country has different standards. It's very 'tower of babble-is', not that's not the right word. Balkanized. I'm sure smarter people than us will figure this out. But when we say Apple TV is a hobby, that's why we use that phrase.

I do hope they have something for us in the next couple months.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is the illustration above the way you have it set? With those options it will, of course, allow the ATV access to anything on that computer because it's set to share the entire library. The way you would exclude items would be to select "Share selected playlists:" and check the ones you want the ATV to access and uncheck the ones you don't. Maybe I missed something earlier in the thread or misunderstood the problem you're having.

As I'm sure has crossed your mind, the issue you're experiencing may not result from anything you're doing. iTunes 11 is doing all kinds of weird things here, like not recognizing episodes of a TV show as being part of a season, losing the artwork for various items and a couple other strange behaviours I can't remember off the top of my head, none of which have anything to do with us or the files. I think the term you folks use to describe the condition is "buggy."

• Reply 80 of 91
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yet.

But yes. YouTube over DSL is sometimes torture aleady.

Naah, thats just your ISP throttling down on your youtube download... This seems to be the trend today for ISP:s  to prevent networks to be spammed with videotraffic.