Apple-built wearable computers seen as long-term replacement for iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    jai151 wrote: »

Cell phones have had a clock on them since they launched, and I, like many, many others, still wear a watch.  It's more convenient to glance at your wrist than pull out your phone.  It's also easier and less noticeable to do so in a social or business meeting.

As for harder to control, you already control your cell phone with one hand most of the time (the exceptions being typing and some games).  Usually you hold the phone with one hand and control with the other.

People would not put the watch up to their ear, either.  They would either pair a bluetooth receiver or use speakerphone.

Finally, take a look at flexible LCD technology that's on the verge of a widespread launch.  Now pair that with a wide wristband and you have a device approximately the same width as a men's wristwatch at its widest with the same screen real estate as an iPhone 5 with no restriction on movement.
    Who wants the screen bent, there is a reason why it has left televisions. Not to mention how it does when wrapped on a arm, this is still downhill. One handed control to you might be nice, but the OS would suffer, many apps use the 6 axis sensors which is horrible when you haft to move your arm, taking videos possible but a good angle hard to get, FaceTime is same, this would be bad.
  • Reply 42 of 42
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jai151 View Post

Cell phones have had a clock on them since they launched, and I, like many, many others, still wear a watch.  It's more convenient to glance at your wrist than pull out your phone.  It's also easier and less noticeable to do so in a social or business meeting.

Yep, that's just one good reason why many people are eager for a useful smartwatch.   I.e.  one that not only remotes many app / phone info, but also works standalone and has very long battery life.   Alas, so far, I haven't found one with all those qualities yet.

Quote:

Finally, take a look at flexible LCD technology that's on the verge of a widespread launch.  Now pair that with a wide wristband and you have a device approximately the same width as a men's wristwatch at its widest with the same screen real estate as an iPhone 5 with no restriction on movement.

Philips electronics recently showed off such a concept, called the Fluid:

And here's an another flexible phone concept.   Could be handy for wearing in back pockets - grin:

Wearable phones are an old idea. Here is one that IBM showed off back in 2000:

A jewelry set where the microphone is in a necklace, with matching earrings that are tiny headphones.   The ring has an LED indicator to alert you that a call is coming in.   An optional bracelet lets you see who is calling and/or show other data like appointments: