Data logs reveal Apple testing iOS 7 and next-gen iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Sounds to me like you haven't given Android much of a chance and don't know how to use it. My Android owning friends have the same problems when they pick up my iPhone, you just have to get used to the differences. My primary and personal phone is an iPhone, but I had used Android prior to this phone so know it well. Jellybean is really miles ahead of Android 2.2. I also have the chance to use some of my friends phones including a Samsung Galaxy S3, a Note II, and an HTC DNA. The display of the DNA is really stunning and better than the iPhone 5. You can assume Jellybean is a POS all day long but until you have given it a chance and know how to use it or access the features your opinion really is not very valuable. I have used both and know all the pluses and minuses of both and although I still prefer the iPhone/iOS ecosystem for the time being, it seems silly to never consider the possibility that the competition might not be better when it is time to upgrade to your next phone. I will always buy the best phone for me at the time of purchase and to rule out Android or even Windows phones completely without knowing anything about them seems rather obtuse. I may decide to stay with an iPhone or switch to something else, but since I only have to live with that decision for 20 months why not at least consider other possibilities? I find this fandroid and iPhone fervor really rather silly, both are good and it seems insane to never to even consider trying out a different phone since it is so easy to switch between the two platforms. Certain fanatical car owners who have owned nothing but an Accord or Camry model for over 20 years also perplex me. Buying the same model over and over is fine as long as you at least research and test drive other models once in a while and then make an informed decision. It is only a phone after all and not a loyalty oath to Steve Jobs, so it is okay to shop around come upgrade time. 

Every single person that bought a Galaxy S3 were uninformed. Every... Single... Person (and other living things)

• Reply 22 of 37
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy stolen technology… don't buy stolen technology…

You act as though this is in any way an actual decision.

Or in your case unless something has changed, don't buy any new technology at all. Are you still using your iPhone 1st generation? I will let the courts sort out any patent issue as to what is stolen or not.  As a consumer I try to get the best bang for my buck and let Apple fight their own battles. We aren't talking about blood diamonds after all, just a freaking phone so no moral quandaries involved in that decision. The only question people need ask themselves is what phone will they be happiest with at the time of purchase and for the life of that phone which for most is about 20 months give or take. 

• Reply 23 of 37

…no moral quandaries involved in that decision.

Helping thieves, not helping thieves… 

"No, no, youse got it all wrong, ahfficer! I wus just drivin' da car they got away in! I didn't rob dat bank!"

• Reply 24 of 37
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Helping thieves, not helping thieves… 

"No, no, youse got it all wrong, ahfficer! I wus just drivin' da car they got away in! I didn't rob dat bank!"

Wow, just wow. So are you honestly trying to equate driving a bank robbery getaway car with buying a Droid DNA phone by HTC? And I thought some fandroids were way out there in loonyville with their Apple hatred. I salute you for bringing it to a whole new level. image

How many rosaries are required when I use the Apple pull down notification since it was stolen from Android just so I am clear?  

• Reply 25 of 37
    I have a plan to replace my 4S with 5 next week.
    Or just waiting for 5S or even 6 next year?

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Any suggestions?

You mean this year ????
  • Reply 27 of 37

So are you honestly trying to equate driving a bank robbery getaway car with buying a Droid DNA phone by HTC?

Nope, just filling the roles with a different scenario. But you don't care about that, of course.

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You mean this year ????

Well, 5 (6) was last year, 5S (7) should be this year and 6 (8) should be next year.

• Reply 28 of 37

Hmmm. By purchasing iDevices with Samsung parts, you are also helping thieves. Or can you just isolate the parts so your iDevice is "pure" and not tainted by Samsung? Bunch of hypocrites and ignorants.

• Reply 29 of 37
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    That's why I splash my iPhone in holy water, when dock port turns red I know I expelled all the Samsung evil out of it
  • Reply 30 of 37

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Hmmm. By purchasing iDevices with Samsung parts, you are also helping thieves.

I don't see Samsung stealing chip designs. You're missing something crucial.

• Reply 31 of 37
    No. I believe the concensus was that anything Samsung is evil. So anything Samsung produced is evil. Unless Samsung is okay just as long it helps iDevices?
  • Reply 32 of 37

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

I believe the concensus was that anything Samsung is evil.

Anything they steal from others is evil. If they were to actually innovate in some fashion, why would that be evil?

• Reply 33 of 37
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Any suggestions?

Sure. Stop letting total strangers make your decisions for you and simply buy a new product when you want/need it.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Hope, Maps is going to be the best. Waiting.

I had the fortune of trying both iOS 6 maps and Google Maps while on a road trip last week, We stopped in the small town of Baker, CA and looked for a Carl's Jr. Restaurant. I naively assumed Google was correct but went we drove to where the restaurant was on the map, there was nothing but an empty lot. OTOH, iOS 6 Maps correctly located the Carl's Jr further up the road. It also showed several other nearby restaurants that were missing in Google Maps (which indicated nothing there). I concluded that Google's POI database was out of date, and the restaurant had relocated up the road some time ago. The empty lot where it thought the restaurant was looked vacant for some time, however. There was clearly a foundation there, but no building.

On the same trip, we were trying to navigate from a gas station back out to the highway in the small city of Barstow, CA. Google Maps showed that the small side street we were on would simply intersect the main road, but iOS 6 Maps correctly showed that the main road had become split (divided) about 20 yards south of the intersection, and that it was going to be "no left turn" allowed from the side street. So in this case, it wasn't a POI database issue, but an issue with the detail level of the roads themselves. iOS 6 Maps was simply more accurate on this trip.

I know it's unpopular to say that I like iOS 6 Maps, but really, I haven't been steered off a cliff or into the middle of the Australian desert without fresh water as a result of it.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member

T-Mobile compatible iPhones seems likely. 

• Reply 36 of 37
    Anything they steal from others is evil. If they were to actually innovate in some fashion, why would that be evil?
    Innovating technology that has a sole purpose to be evil.
    Anyway why do we expect a 2013 release device and 2013 release OS are not to be tested by 2013 this is what I expect fromApple.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    The new iPhone is already so much more powerful than anything else on the market today... But I believe that they should "push" it until they are 1 generation ahead everyone else's horsepower (they are very close), then they could focus on other things like software and battery life.

Right?

They will want to have a performance increase of some kind as a selling point for the new one but I'm thinking these features are going to stop being all that important much sooner than with the desktop. The performance of the latest iPhone is comparable to an early G5 tower. The compulsion for some to upgrade from G5s was to get that power in a smaller space or even more power for resource intensive apps. The iOS devices don't really have resource intensive apps besides games and are almost as small as the display allows them to be already.

I'm hoping tactile feedback and 3D gestures play a big role in the new models. Some of this will require faster processing like Kinect, perhaps even dedicated silicon. But once you have that and a retina display, graphics that match a mainstream console and a processor that handles all the tasks an iPad does, what next? They can't even make it much thinner due to the Lightning port. They'd almost have to make the iPad capable of more productive work for it to reach its limits.

I think that's why it was smart of them to set up their content distribution the way they did. Get 400 million+ users on board, only allow the one app store, they take a 30% cut of everything and they keep the money coming even when the hardware reaches a plateau. They've got music covered so they are already in a pretty secure position for the long haul. If they get search covered and movie/TV distribution, even better. First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the bunga bunga parties.