Microsoft scoops up home automation company before Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's logical. Microsoft is unable to innovate, so they have no choice but to buy companies. Apple, OTOH, is clearly able to innovate, so they don't NEED to buy companies for ideas.
    Who do you think is going to win the bidding wars when both companies are involved?

One of the finest examples of troll bait ever.
  • Reply 42 of 93

I have a pretty nice home automation system using insteon devices.  Not sure it's a need, but it is fun to tinker, and when people come over and notice that the house sets up for night slowly just as the sun goes down are pretty curious.  I have a old hp notebook running the whole setup.  Lights change at midnight to night mode, or when I press a button on my nightstand.  Kitchen lights come on at 30% when you enter at night, that kind of stuff.

• Reply 43 of 93

The question of "why" is a legitimate question, how about:

- Need for better energy efficiency... results in increased complexity...hence added value of home automation.  Think: lighting and temperature control...accurate water heating/steam/gas control/solar heating/PV.

- Ubiquity of cloud/fast processors & various visual/audio form factors brings opportunities to see/control and experience media in many more ways in the home...which brings complexity...but through automation can bring personalized information and media to each member of the home.  Think: "Siri!  What's the weather for today?  Make me a cup of coffee while you're at it.  Eject my iPhone.  Oh and start my car and heat it to 70 degrees."

- Increased home security...when you're at home or away.

I can see value-added in the above scenarios.

• Reply 44 of 93
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

I have a pretty nice home automation system using insteon devices.  Not sure it's a need, but it is fun to tinker, and when people come over and notice that the house sets up for night slowly just as the sun goes down are pretty curious.  I have a old hp notebook running the whole setup.  Lights change at midnight to night mode, or when I press a button on my nightstand.  Kitchen lights come on at 30% when you enter at night, that kind of stuff.

These seem like some good things. Certainly lights automatically adjusting to circumstances. I'm not sure these require sophisticated home automation systems or whether they could be adequately handled by lower-tech, point solutions that include light, motion, proximity sensors.

• Reply 45 of 93
    remereme Posts: 74member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

But that doesn't really answer the more basic question: Why?

Setting aside the thermostat (having programmable thermostats her likely been a great improvement.) Why would I want home automation? What do I  want to automate and control in this way?

The "why" is really up to you.  Until some form of standardized infrastructure is in place it's really up to you as to what you want to do with automation.  I've been at it a very long time and have incrementially been adding capabilities, here's only a few things I use automation for.

1 - light controlling, I pretty much have the whole house now converted to insteon switches.  These support both X-10 and insteon commands so my legacy controllers work as well as newer insteon (more robust, dual band wireless and powerline communications).  Various lighting goes on and off based on times, sunrise, sunset.  One button push shuts down the house at bedtime.  The system is interfaced with the alarm system's I/R room sensors so once in bed, should you get up in the night, strategic lights come on and very low intensity to light your way thru the house.  Lights in un-occupied areas will turn off.  Bascially I have the system dance around my wife and daughters, attempting to save power but at the same time not pissing them off.  It's taken many years to refine the schedule but it works really well.  The plus is that all lights in the house are dimmable either manually with the wall switch or remotely controlled as well.  If someone turns on a light, the switch also reports its condition to the system so it "knows" this as well.  So when my youngest turns on that 200watt bathroom heatlamp, and leaves the room, it will turn itself off soon after.

2 - Sprinklers, I have far greater control over them, can hold them off with rain, can operate them anytime, all without having to mess with an outdoor timer.

3 - Pool, control pump and solar heat bypass valves based on actual heat available and pool temp to save energy and maximize heating. Monitor spa temps and shut down when not used, again to save energy.

4 - HVAC remote access and overide capability along with standard shcedules.

5 - Power control, I have a whole house backup generator, the system can detect a power outage and also monitor the house load in realtime, and automatically shut down non-essential loads (e.g the pool pump etc.) to prevent any potential overload condition.  I have this fully automated so my girls are never in the dark without light, heat, etc.

6 - Garage door sensing to allow indication of door open, more linked functions based on time of day etc.

7 - Window shade controls based on sunrise/sunset as well as home theater watching.

8 - Voice intergation, I have the system literally talk to me to accounce certain events and condtions when I'm in my office when I want to troubleshoot or keep tabs on things.

9 - Next up for me is integration with a Photovoltiac Solar system, again to control and manage power during power outages and coordinate with the backup generator.

I think you get the idea, home automation when done right is simply a controller with your wishes programmed in, it chugs away 24/7 executing these decision trees to make a home just better.  I spent alot of time doing this all with one system so that I could leverage the information variables (times, temps, motion detection, power calculations, etc.) into the various routines.  All of these things can be done with seperate switches and timers, the beauty of a unified system is that there is one central clock (internet controlled) and one thing to access and program as a user.

All of this is accessible from my iPhone/iPad as well.  What is nice is that you can start small and expand as far as your imagination and abilities can take you.  I would welcome any large company that gets better standards in place to make this easier, who wouldn't!

So, ya, that's why I think home automation can help a household...  I don't really care that they call our house the Pee Wee Herman house, it is pertty cool to see in action.

• Reply 46 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

- Need for better energy efficiency... results in increased complexity...hence added value of home automation.  Think: lighting and temperature control...accurate water heating/steam/gas control/solar heating/PV.

Well the heating/cooling thing is already being addressed with programmable thermostats. The Nest takes it to the next level of course, which is cool. And that's where the majority of energy use goes in most homes from what I hear. Beyond that. Lighting? Ummm...ok. This doesn't seem to be a big thing that demands sophisticated, expensive (and energy consuming) automation systems. Turn the lights off when you're not using them seems like a pretty inexpensive and low-tech and reliable way to handle this. If you're really concerned, put in some Al Gore light bulbs. This just doesn't seem that compelling.

Quote:

- Ubiquity of cloud/fast processors & various visual/audio form factors brings opportunities to see/control and experience media in many more ways in the home...which brings complexity...but through automation can bring personalized information and media to each member of the home.  Think: "Siri!  What's the weather for today?  Make me a cup of coffee while you're at it.  Eject my iPhone.  Oh and start my car and heat it to 70 degrees."

Sure. Okay. Maybe. I still see point solutions here. In fact these kind of allude to this a bit: http://www.ambientdevices.com/

However...I do see the possibility of collections of point solutions that could be wirelessly linked for some of the applications you've suggested. But the question becomes how this comes to fruition without buying everything (including your alarm clock, lamps and coffee makers from the same company (Apple?) or what incentive is there to build the smarts (and cost) into the coffee makers from every vendor when not everyone has the other pieces.

Perhaps someone will start down this path: Smart (wireless) Coffee Maker with remote mobile App that works kinds like the Nest does. And this catches on. And then other devices. And then someone puts together the App that ties it all together.

Quote:

Now this is a good one. I could see something controlling lights (even creating sounds) that give the appearance of someone being home to deter a potential burglar (or at least push them off to the house down the street that clearly vacant!) Again though, this likely could be handled through relatively low-tech point solutions: Timers on lights (I hear these even randomize now-a-days). etc.

• Reply 47 of 93
    So what?
    If they end up making it good product... great. But it probably will go the Skype way.

Or Danger, Inc. That ended the successful Sidekick line with an incompatible and unloved KIN ONE and KIN TWO.
  • Reply 48 of 93

Quote:

Perhaps someone will start down this path: Smart (wireless) Coffee Maker with remote mobile App that works kinds like the Nest does. And this catches on. And then other devices. And then someone puts together the App that ties it all together.

I would agree that nothing really compelling today or even within the year.  But I could see that within a couple of years, the synergy (as you kind of described above) would greatly increase and then allow for leveraging of complete IT/automation.  3 or 4 devices just doesn't make it worthwhile...but 9-10 appliances/systems might be the breaking point to adequately leverage the cost of IT/automation.  And when you think about it, even at that, it would only be worth its value for the upper middle class+.

• Reply 49 of 93

Quote:

I would agree that nothing really compelling today or even within the year.  But I could see that within a couple of years, the synergy (as you kind of described above) would greatly increase and then allow for leveraging of complete IT/automation.  3 or 4 devices just doesn't make it worthwhile...but 9-10 appliances/systems might be the breaking point to adequately leverage the cost of IT/automation.  And when you think about it, even at that, it would only be worth its value for the upper middle class+.

But here we hit another obstacle. What 9-10 devices?

I'm asking seriously here.

Coffee maker? OK. This is pretty much self-contained: Fill with coffee and water...only thing left is timing the brewing so it is hot and fresh.

Lights? Maybe.

HVAC? Yes. Kinda done.

What's next?

Microwave? Stove? Dishwasher? (maybe start after bed and clean by morning...but here again...low tech seems to handle it) Fridge?

TV & Stereo? Perhaps. Maybe TV knows it is me turning it on (vs. my kids or wife...and brings up my faves.) Maybe stereo knows it is me in the room and prompts me (verbally, a la Siri) for which of my playlists to play.

I guess I'm just not seeing it yet. I mean I can see the futuristic, sci-fi, Jetsons-like vision. I'm just not sure I see the reality of it yet. And by that I don't mean the technological capabilities...I mean the practical usefulness vs. the cost. Like I said before, this smells a bit like a solution in search of a problem.

Even Apple's predicted TV...would Siri make my life substantially better there? Possibly!

"Siri, find me an action film to watch."

"Siri, turn up the volume a little."

"Siri, let's watch next episode of 'Mad Men.'"

"Siri, please record the Packer's game on Sunday."

"Siri, quiet please. Someone's at the door."

Like that. Sure.

Then again, maybe that's the key to everything: Ubiquitous voice-command and control. You walk in and ask for "lights on" ( a la Back to the Future II). Or: "Make me a coffee" that ties in with an even higher-tech Keurig-like machine with auto-feed k-cups and mugs.

Who knows.

• Reply 50 of 93
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    mj1970 wrote: »
    While I don't necessarily expect such a move from Apple, I don't think Tony Fadell as Apple's next CEO is completely out of the realm of possibilities. I could see this even 10 years out (sooner if Tim Cook stumbles.)

What would his qualifications be? Successful project management and product dev't are very different skills than running a trillion dollar compant
  • Reply 51 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What would his qualifications be? Successful project management and product dev't are very different skills than running a trillion dollar compant

Maybe. Maybe not.

I've never run a company that size (and neither have you.) so we don't really know.

I see a guy who knows product (which I think is critical for Apple) and appears to know how to manage and run a company (albeit a smaller one.) Minimally he's more than just an engineer and understands the broader aspects of building products (and a company). He also clearly has the "Apple DNA" in him. Perhaps not today, not now...but I could see him as a possible candidate down the road.

P.S. Not to quibble too much, but Apple is not a trillion dollar company.

• Reply 52 of 93
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    mj1970 wrote: »
    Maybe. Maybe not.

I've never run a company that size (and neither have you.) so we don't really know.

I see a guy who knows product (which I think is critical for Apple) and appears to know how to manage and run a company (albeit a smaller one.) Minimally he's more than just an engineer and understands the broader aspects of building products (and a company). He also clearly has the "Apple DNA" in him. Perhaps not today, not now...but I could see him as a possible candidate down the road.

P.S. Not to quibble too much, but Apple is not a trillion dollar company.

Running a company with one mildly successful product wouldn't get him an interview to run Dell, let alone Apple. You don't think Apple will be a trillion dollar (short scale) company in 10 yrs? You Android fanboy!!!!'
  • Reply 53 of 93
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That would be a first: they outsource their current screens for mobile devices.

And they used to outsource their chip designs.

If they are researching into glass then they could one day use something designed in-house, just like the new processors.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57560927-37/flexy-iphone-someday-apple-patents-method-to-bend-glass/

• Reply 54 of 93

Quote:

You're still not answering why.

I'm getting answers for what and how, but little for why.

Why do I want this? What does it do for me? What do I gain from it? How is my life better because of it?

It seems like home automation is a solution looking for a problem (that doesn't exist.)

I guess you've never read "Around the World in 80 Days" have you?

• Reply 55 of 93

Quote:

I can see value-added in the above scenarios.

Isn't this what we were suppose to get with the "Smart Grid" technology that GE and others were promoting a couple of years ago?

• Reply 56 of 93

Quote:

Running a company with one mildly successful product wouldn't get him an interview to run Dell, let alone Apple.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I disagree.

Quote:

You don't think Apple will be a trillion dollar (short scale) company in 10 yrs?

I was referring to the present tense. As for the future...maybe. Hard to know. Apple's growth could surely slow.

Quote:

You Android fanboy!!!!'

And now you display your ignorance. I am not an Android fanboy in any way, shape or form. I don't own any Android devices nor do I wish to. Perhaps you assume I am because I'm not automatically responding like an Apple fanboy.

• Reply 57 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

I guess you've never read "Around the World in 80 Days" have you?

I'm asking serious and reasonable questions. I've quite often seen people think they have great ideas for products and that what they are great ideas...but they don't play out in practical reality because people don't want them or need them. Now I fully understand that wants and needs change over time. I get that. I also get that not everything that every science-fiction writer has ever dreamed up becomes reality.

So...I asked the question: Why? Why do I want this? Why do I need this? How will this improve my life?

Some other posters have engaged this question well and offered good ideas about why and what. You ask if I've read a book (with whatever implication that carries).

• Reply 58 of 93

People saying Microsoft does not innovate need to take a day or two looking over Microsoft researches website. Microsofts problem is not in their innovation but in their marketing/product team. Microsoft research has a ton of things in their research division that would make great products.

Microsoft bought this company to put the tech into the next xbox plain and simple.

Apples problem is that if they do not hurry up Microsoft could possibly beat them to the tv innovation product.  Keep in mind with the xbox 360 you can already use it as a cable box if you have uverse or Comcast. Imagine having it control your lights and other things also ?

Saying Microsoft does not innovate is just trolling. That is not microsofts problem. Its the marketing and developing the innovations into products that's the problem. Keep in mind bill gates back in 2001 stated tablets will be the next big thing.

• Reply 59 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

New strategy for Apple to relieve competitors of excess cash and saddle them with dead weight: sniff around myriad companies that appear to have something of value to offer until they are snapped up out of fear.

When I first heard of this rumor it seemed so odd that Apple or anyone would be interested in this tiny startup that didn't have any products on the market.

• Reply 60 of 93
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    melgross wrote: »
    Well, Microsoft isn't an innovator. What major innovations have they come up with? Can you name a couple? Patents aren't innovations, they're just patents. Ball Labs considered an innovation to be the totality of research, engineering, design, AND bringing it out to the market where it would become popular, and sustaining, replacing what went before.
    So what has Microsoft ever come out with something like that? DOS was bought from Seattle Computer. Windows was a poor copy of Apple's System software. The XBox was just another console. Their phones weren't original. In fact, anything innovative has been killed by management because of infighting, and the fact that the Windows and Office people have control over the company. His has certainly been well documented. One of the more innovative of their later possible products, the clamshell Courier tablet (and the tablet, a real tablet, isn't a Microsoft innovation either) was killed by Sinofsky because it didn't use Windows.

You know, lot of people on other side of the fence feels the same about Apple as well. Apple does great refinement and integration of existing technologies - but does all that qualify as innovation? Likewise, is something like Kinect an innovation? Xbox Live (as first on-line network for consoles)? are there innovations in MS server technologies - surely they are not buying and stealing everything that makes and constantly improves HyperV, SharePoint, Exchange, original project Surface, SmartGlass... arguably some of these innovations (if any) are not obvious as physical consumer oriented products innovations, but I don't think that "obvious" defines innovation anyway.