'jOBS' biopic to hit theaters in April

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Open Road Films and Five Star Feature films on Thursday announced that distribution agreements are in place for the Steve Jobs biopic "jOBS," which will arrive in theaters sometime in April.

jOBS Sundance
Iconic Steve Jobs photo (left) and a publicity shot from the upcoming jOBS biopic (right) via The Hollywood Reporter

The film stars Ashton Kutcher as Apple cofounder Jobs is said to chronicle the defining 30 years of the tech guru's life, from the creation of Apple, his ousting in 1985, the founding of NeXT Computer, the purchase of Pixar and his subsequent return to Apple in 1996.

Not to be confused with the big-budget Sony film written by "The Social Network" scribe Aaron Sorkin, jOBS will premiere as the closing night film at this year's Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 27.

A number of actors have been attached to jOBS, including Matthew Modine as Apple CEO John Scully, Broadway star Josh Gad as cofounder Steve Wozniak, Ahna O'Reilly from "The Help" playing Chris-Ann Brennan, ex-girlfriend and mother to Jobs' daughter Lisa and J.K. Simmons as Venture capitalist Arthur Rock.

Kutcher and company were first spotted filming in June 2012 at Jobs' old Los Altos home, where the first Apple computer was built.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I found one of the opening logos for the movie.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9f-5QLXa7_Y/ShXFBInXRSI/AAAAAAAADaw/yu8l8LH1Rc4/s400/Blog Art - Cinema Center logo.jpg
  • Reply 2 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I'm as big an Apple and Jobs fan as anyone but I have no interest in seeing this for some reason.

• Reply 3 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    In the real Steve Jobs photo, he clearly did not have a storage hutch in his cubicle. So much for accuracy. :p
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ortort Posts: 39member
    What a putrid title.

It's not even correct. It's not iMAC... It's not iPOD... It's not iPHONE... it's not iPAD...

... so the movie shouldn't be called jOBS.

It should really be jObs. Or actually, it should really be something else entirely because jOBS is just about the worst title imaginable, and it pains me to think that somewhere out there someone got paid money to think of that title and then other people thought it was a good idea to call a movie by that title.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I'm as big an Apple and Jobs fan as anyone but I have no interest in seeing this for some reason.

I can't take Kelso seriously either.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ort wrote: »
    What a putrid title.
    It's not even correct. It's not iMAC... It's not iPOD... It's not iPHONE... it's not iPAD...
    ... so the movie shouldn't be called jOBS.
    It should really be jObs. Or actually, it should really be something else entirely because jOBS is just about the worst title imaginable, and it pains me to think that somewhere out there someone got paid money to think of that title and then other people thought it was a good idea to call a movie by that title.

Not only that, Camel Case, or maybe I should I say cAmel cAse, is getting old.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I sincerely hope the production company and Kutcher lose their shirts over this movie. Too soon.

• Reply 8 of 15
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I sincerely hope the production company and Kutcher lose their shirts over this movie. Too soon.

Too late

• Reply 9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ort View Post

...the movie shouldn't be called jOBS.

Dude, Where's My iPhone?

• Reply 10 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm going to watch it. I've got nothing against Kutcher and he does look like a young Jobs.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    This film seems to be a good creation of the most important years of his life.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    The title is as bad as iSteve: the book of Jobs.

• Reply 13 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    apple 1984 wrote: »
    The title is as bad as iSteve: the book of Jobs.

I don't think something like "I, Steve" would be too bad though - people usually referred to him as Steve and the surname Jobs was emphasised least. At least they didn't go with MacMan. The problem with jObs is that the lower-case j might make uninformed movie goers think it was about jobs, given the economy.
  • Reply 14 of 15

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think something like "I, Steve" would be too bad though…

For Christmas, I got a daily calendar called "I, Steve"! It's quotes of his; pretty neat.

• Reply 15 of 15
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest

Should be good. May learn a bit about Steve.