Apple's 9.7-inch iPad to get boost from increased enterprise tablet adoption in 2013

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm talking about today's business. Companies are not likely to start equipping production people or non-customer contact people with iPads any time soon. Who's getting iPads in business today?

- Executives for whom it's a status symbol

- Sales people where the larger iPad is clearly advantageous

- Service people who will store all their technical details on the iPad - and for whom the larger screen is clearly advantageous.

I'm with ya, except for the Service People part, where I think the Mini makes more sense.

I've spent the past 15 or so years doing mobile field apps, and we've found over and over again, that people prefer pocketable devices.   No one likes lugging a laptop or even a large tablet around.   Everyone loves a device that fits in a pocket or holster.

I can't count the number of times that we found field personnel leaving their larger devices behind in their truck all day.   The most popular versions we made were for phones... even though the input screens were of course much smaller views at a time.

Something in between phone and tablet (yes, phablets) are probably the best overall choice.

However, often the device choice is made by someone behind a desk, who almost always goes for the big screen.   Sigh.

• Reply 22 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jragosta wrote: »
    I'm talking about today's business. Companies are not likely to start equipping production people or non-customer contact people with iPads any time soon. Who's getting iPads in business today?
    - Executives for whom it's a status symbol
    I'm not too sure that most executives would see such a device as a status symbol. In many cases iPads are seen as tools to be carried around by mid level managers, supervisors and technicians. Any status that could be inferred from using an iPad quickly died with iPads extremely rapid run up in sales.
    - Sales people where the larger iPad is clearly advantageous
    In the case of sales you are absolutely right, the large iPad is a huge advantage.
    - Service people who will store all their technical details on the iPad - and for whom the larger screen is clearly advantageous.
    This is highly debatable. For many of these people physical size becomes a problem, especially if iPad is one of maybe a half dozen devices that you need to carry around.
    The $70 to go from an iPad Mini to an iPad 2 (or even the $170 to go from the Mini to the iPad 4) is insignificant for those applications. And I say that based on my experience of running multimillion dollar companies.
    Not all companies are run the same way. I've seen companies that argue over the cost of a (single) drill bit for one project. We are talking the difference between $2.99 and $3.99. No maybe that is the result of ignorance but I see the same mentality applied to IT. For example corporate IT purchasing Windows PCs with barely enough RAM to run the operating system and then expecting the departments to upgrade their machines to usable state. This all in an effort to make budgets or projects look good.
    Some day, tablets might be ubiquitous enough in business that every employee has one - in which case the Mini might find some target audience. But for now, the groups above aren't going to use it.

You are assuming the groups you have identified above represent the common. I don't see this as the case at all. Now there is the obvious issue of software, if the app doesn't exist for a specific need, iPads won't be implemented. However adoption is far wider than you might first think.
  • Reply 23 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or five seconds, since they're both visible on the website when the IT department goes to make the company order.

I've never seen the IT department sign the checks and I've never seen an executive team move fast on anything other than pay increases.

• Reply 24 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lol island hermit
    +1
  • Reply 25 of 38
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Gene Munster.......mr Apple, once again coming out with facts which are worthless. While I believe he might have asked CEO s of small companies these are not LARGE companies with thousands of people. Stands to reason that the CEO of Boeing, IBM, or JPMorgan would not even see Munster. If zmunster had any credibility he would state how mAny people work for these companies
    Take anything Munster says with a grain of salt Rumor had it that SEC is investigating him for 'market manipulation'
  • Reply 26 of 38
    what is the secret as to why Apple owns the iPod and iPad market that they revolutionized, but has so much competition in the iPhone market they also revolutionized?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

what is the secret as to why Apple owns the iPod and iPad market that they revolutionized, but has so much competition in the iPhone market they also revolutionized?

Samsung wasn't stupid enough to pirate ideas back then, but they are now? 

Decades-old phone companies resent an industry startup being smarter, better, and more desired than any of their idiotic ideas?

I dunno.

• Reply 28 of 38
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member
    IPads could be most wanted on medical field IF they have IR port to scan labels. There are cases iPad with IR port on em but they are costly and also new lightning connector was big screw up for this market. As far mini vs maxi, my wife (ARNP) says most of their staff switched to mini due to size that fits lab coat's pocket. We have one of those and I found it adorable. Overall I believe that devices with 7" will be more popular due to price/mobility reason.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Tallest, it's funny how you always switch subject on Samsung. So much hate. Who's maker of your home TV? Sony? :)))
  • Reply 30 of 38
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

IPads could be most wanted on medical field IF they have IR port to scan labels. There are cases iPad with IR port on em but they are costly and also new lightning connector was big screw up for this market. As far mini vs maxi, my wife (ARNP) says most of their staff switched to mini due to size that fits lab coat's pocket. We have one of those and I found it adorable. Overall I believe that devices with 7" will be more popular due to price/mobility reason.

7"? Pfft ...

We are talking 7.85".

• Reply 31 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    You are assuming the groups you have identified above represent the common. .

I'm not assuming any such thing.

I'm saying that the groups I cited represent the people who are buying iPads for business. And, based on everything I've seen, I'm confident that my statement is correct.

iPads in business are mostly purchased by executives, sales people, or service people. Who do you think buys them? Receptionists and janitors?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    stelligent wrote: »
    7"? Pfft ...

We are talking 7.85".

Dude, please turn on imagination. I was referring to 7" and 10" markets.
  • Reply 33 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Dude, please turn on imagination. I was referring to 7" and 10" markets.

Dude, please turn on your sense of humor. Who really cares about 0.85"?

• Reply 34 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

My Wife.

• Reply 35 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My Wife.

Really? If my wife catches me cashing her in for cheap laughs ...

But then, I was talking with Audrey, wasn't I?

• Reply 36 of 38
    stelligent wrote: »

Lol, indeed.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I don't see the appeal of using a iPad for corporate usage. Don't get wrong I really enjoy my iPad but for end user purposes, the music creation apps, games, reading literature and so on are all quite top notch. In a corporate environment though the iPad falls pretty flat. One example is the lack of a file-manager. Sorry but this is a big one in most company’s especially mine. Although I have been out of the office due to my struggle with breast cancer I still work from home and one of my responsibilities is the approval of new technologies for our employees usage. Take for example a top tier Android tablet like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Note and Nexus 10/7, there is a program available called FX File-manager that can log into our SAMBA, Exchange and Cloud servers simultaneously. All from one program, you can also assign programs to a per file instance instead grouping all file extension to one program. Sand-Boxing is/might be a good thing but it defiantly hinders programs from talking to each other, for instance many of the office clone programs can access FX directly to retrieve your documents. Not to mention syncing of your network home directory to your tablet is a big, big convenience.

There is also a new multi-user function available in Android 4.2.1, yes I'm fully aware that this version is only available for the Nexus 10 and 7 but the ability to separate your business world from your home life is a big advantage. Let's even forget Android as this is a sore subject around here, the new Windows 8 tablets like the Lenovo ThinkPad II or Asus 810c with it's 18 hour battery life are a much better fit in a corporate environment. Even the price,The iPad with 64GB costs 700 dollars where as the Lenovo costs 650, you also get an SD Card slot which I know a lot of you are so adamant that it is not needed but is still used extensively with large multimedia projects plus a built in HDMI. You also get the advantage of having a full version of Office at your disposal not to mention any other Windows programs that are used on a daily basis.

We are a trading company and most of our in house programs are written in Java, a big problem with the iPad but with Android we have exported the code to Darvik which is very easy and with Windows 8 well it's a no brainer.

I fully understand that there are industries like photography or art that can benefit from an iPad but most really should pass and by no means am I demeaning the iPad, I love mine. It's a consumer product though not a business one and for those who force it to be will have one tough time.

• Reply 38 of 38
    @Relic.

WebMD on iPad mini is very handy. Also all kind of client-server apps have good usage on tablet platform. Imagine phlebotomist going from room to room in a hospital, collecting specimens, scanning labels and posting on his iPad/Nexus. Don't forget about Cisco VPN client and Citrix for iOS/Android so you can access corporate environment from outside and run apps on Citrix farm.