Lenovo's IdeaCentre Horizon 'table PC' is a 27" portable computer

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Those physical accessories and games show that Lenovo has invested a lot of time and effort into this, which includes thinking about users would interact with this device which exceeds what MS did with the original Surface. Still, I can't help but expect this to fail in the consumer market but I wish them well.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    I wonder what the pixel resolution is?
    I have a LAW (live audio workstation) application that could actually use this if it has significantly more pixels than HD.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those physical accessories and games show that Lenovo has invested a lot of time and effort into this, which includes thinking about users would interact with this device which exceeds what MS did with the original Surface. Still, I can't help but expect this to fail in the consumer market but I wish them well.

In my mind this is pretty much a surface replacement and having worked on touch table applications it's kinda cool.

• Reply 44 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rhyde wrote: »
    I wonder what the pixel resolution is?
    I have a LAW (live audio workstation) application that could actually use this if it has significantly more pixels than HD.

I wonder what type of display panel it will have. To save on power consumption (and cost) TN is the way to go but any display that needs to be viewed at various angles would dictate IPS or some other panel with a 178° viewing angle. I hope they didn't skimp on the user experience.

nht wrote: »
    In my mind this is pretty much a surface replacement and having worked on touch table applications it's kinda cool.

Since you've worked with touch table applications do you think this will be successful? If it becomes a viable product I think it will be for certain businesses, not for the home as shown in the videos.
  • Reply 45 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You would probably rarely move the device, but the battery is there so you can without shutting down.  I think that's handy.

It looks pretty cool for $1000 Core i3 version.  I hope that price isn't a CNet typo.  The press release says $1700.

Going to have to take a look at their Aura SDK when I can find the link.

• Reply 46 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since you've worked with touch table applications do you think this will be successful? If it becomes a viable product I think it will be for certain businesses, not for the home as shown in the videos.

It all depends on the price and availability.  For $999 I can see it replacing the home computer since it is one and can double as a family gaming center for air hockey, monopoly, etc.  More family oriented than a normal console or tablet.  We occasionally play Life and Monopoly on the iPad but it would be a lot more fun on something like this because of the size.

Getting EA and Ubisoft on board strikes me as smart.  3000 apps isn't a bad start.

If you start seeing these at the Microsoft stores and in their own areas in Best Buy and the like it could be successful...but it's one of those things you're going to want to see and touch in person.  If I can see it and immediately buy it from lots of locations then yea...it could do well.

The Apple Stores have been a significant contributor for success for Apple for these reasons.  I can see the product, hold it in my hands and FEEL how great it is.  Then I can hand over my credit card and buy it.

Maybe Brookstone might be a good venue too.  I rarely get anything but I did buy a copter and almost bought an AR Drone there impulsively because they were flying it around.  I usually will stop by and the seem to be at a lot of malls.

/shrug

I worked on prototypes for the military.  If it works with gloves on that might be pretty nice for some things.

• Reply 47 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You would probably rarely move the device, but the battery is there so you can without shutting down.  I think that's handy.

Here's a demo of more modes and proposed table options (you have to see these -- check out the motorized version at 1:40)...

The Cnet vid of the computer rising from the table reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite TV series of the 1979-80s;  Jean Shepherd's America,  This particular show is "Filthy Rich At Last".   At about 43 seconds, clip shows computers of that era rising...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8655396/20130108 JSA Yacht Computers 1.mp4

Edit:  FWIW, From left to right it appears that we have:

• an ice bucket

• an IBM PC

• an Apple ][

• a Compaq, Osborne or somesuch

• an Epson (I think) Dot Matrix Printer

Total cost for the computers in today's dollars -- about $15,000.

• Reply 48 of 49

I have been thinking about this a lot...

As others have said this could be the family's home computer... and then some:

• multiplayer game center

• game console replacement

• school projects

• family-time projects -- home movies, collages,  picture books, etc.

You can envision multiplayer activities/games such as a jigsaw puzzle, home remodeling (paint, furniture layout, etc), MineCraft, Scrabble, Nertz, Monoply, Number Painting, Finger Painting, teaching/learning numbers, letters, words, to tell time, algebra, geometry...

The display should be larger and higher resolution with a wide viewing angle.

At least 40 touch-point recognition is needed.

Protective surface -- non scratch, impenetrable...

This is a different device than a tablet as we know it.    First, is is usable by two (or more) hands for activities other than typing.  

This is subtle, but important -- as it opens creative and collaborative possibilities not possible on today's tablets.

And those are just a few of the home/personal uses...

Think of the commercial. enterprise, pro/prosumer possibilities.

• Reply 49 of 49
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Can't wait for someone to figure out how to install it in a car and use it as a GPS¡