Samsung, Microsoft hype new 'Youm' flexible OLED display tech

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Clinton and Samsung in bed together. Never knew it would get that low.

I was disappointed in that as well. 

• Reply 22 of 52
    "I'm an Apple fan, but... concerned... praise Google... sky is falling on Cupertino... Samsung is so innovative... Praise Android... I'm not a troll... list of my alleged Apple products..." /s

Like I said, this is a technology in search of a good reason to exist. I contend that wraparound displays for brick phones is not the next big thing, or even a particularly creative application of flexible display tech.
  • Reply 23 of 52

I wonder what a case would look like to protect the screen or, if it is dropped, will it bounce around?

• Reply 24 of 52
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dookie Howsre View Post

Samsung Sucks Ballz

That easily explains why Clinton is on board.

• Reply 25 of 52
    Video games are not allowed in my home and never will be. The glazed look in the eyes of the young people playing the games in the video is just sad. Go climb a tree, read a book, or go for a walk.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    "I'm an Apple fan, but... concerned... praise Google... sky is falling on Cupertino... Samsung is so innovative... Praise Android... I'm not a troll... list of my alleged Apple products..." /s
    Like I said, this is a technology in search of a good reason to exist. I contend that wraparound displays for brick phones is not the next big thing, or even a particularly creative application of flexible display tech.

I can think of a couple of 'neat' ideas. Not sure on the execution as you would need software to determine accidental vs purposeful touches, but volume sliders, page scrolling, are two that come to mind.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    So made a flexible OLED display that will never be used, and if it is used will not sell at all due to its impracticability and extremely high price. Well, that'll be...hmm...$200 Bil off of Apple's market cap...Microsoft is going to put projectors into every gamer's room to make a full room experience, well that'll take a 'jab' at Apple's massive console-gaming market, let's put their stock down to $13...and Samsung announced an 8 core chip, for what? Smartphones!!!??? Holy shit frick butthole damn we just have to have the power of a Mac Pro in a device that needs only a quarter of the power to function and anything more will take away from it's battery life and actually bottleneck it's performance due to Android's inefficient kernal...well, that brings Apple's stock down to $-59847987459873245908732094857239408572345637548767887678767877345987394875239805723409587324095872345098750687345987209873245098723049587234095872349085723094857098237450987234098732409587234095872345098732450987324509873245098723450987324508372549863247652347653247865347865 and it's market share down to -98349802%, while it owes Samsung $93204982098240924309823402 billion for stealing all of their designs, so $-894873489724398 in the bank....looks like APPLE IS DOOMED.

- Most market analysts
  • Reply 28 of 52
    starbird73 wrote: »
    I can think of a couple of 'neat' ideas. Not sure on the execution as you would need software to determine accidental vs purposeful touches, but volume sliders, page scrolling, are two that come to mind.

Oh, I keep thinking of something related to anything BUT the smartphone industry: say textiles. Clothes with animated logos of graphics. Automobile skins that are completely covered with flexible OLEDs. Stuff like that. I don't want a wraparound display in a smartphone.
  • Reply 29 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Don't really need to, it's like a 3 year old... ok, 5 year old, no wait, 8 year old going against Mike Tyson.  They can jab all they want, but when Mike punches back they will be out cold.  Sorry, the "we did it first" don't cut it anymore.  Remember folks, Apple did not do the first smart phone, or tablet, but when they did it, everyone seem to drop their jaw then scramble to copy/reproduce Apples items.  M$ needs to learn this little "we did it first" phrase has no one listening.

For you little M$ fanboy's think of this way, Ford did the first Horseless Carriage.  Let's put that against say, a BMW or other high end car of today.  Can that be a good thing to say "we did it first" for the first Horseless Carriage?

While I agree with your point in theory, I do find it necessary to point out that there were many cars before Ford.  Ford revolutionized the industry by creating the assembly line and allowing mass production at low cost.  He did not in any way invent the car.

• Reply 30 of 52
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Oh, I keep thinking of something related to anything BUT the smartphone industry: say textiles. Clothes with animated logos of graphics. Automobile skins that are completely covered with flexible OLEDs. Stuff like that. I don't want a wraparound display in a smartphone.

I like the idea of a " smart paper" though. And it seems that something like that is closer to reality than I thought:
  • Reply 31 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Oh Bill... image

• Reply 32 of 52
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

Apple needs to catch up on display technology rather than just buying off the shelf and repackaging others technology.

• Reply 33 of 52
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

You want irony?  Clinton is hawking Samsung while Eric Schmidt is in North Korea, negotiating for a prisoner release (among pushing his company, of course).  

That's classic.

• Reply 34 of 52
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberto Rivera View Post

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

"Bill Clinton's charisma has been called a reality distortion field."

Cheers

• Reply 35 of 52
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's day-two keynote at CES was full of surprises, including new bendable screen technology called "Youm...

Helping Samsung to unveil flexible Youm displays...

Surprise,

new,

unveil.

3 words that shouldn't be used on displays that were surprisingly new and unveiled 2 years ago at CES 2011.

If they still haven't found a good use for them in 2 years then I wouldn't hold my breath for anything revolutionary. If anything is released it'll be just so they can actually use this pointless display tech.

• Reply 36 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Clinton and Samsung in bed together. Never knew it would get that low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Use to be, Bill sleeps with anything or anyone cause he's a 'horn dog'!  Now he pimps himself out for money...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Samsung also had Bill Clinton introduce their new Lewin series hard drive. It's completely cloud based and the official name will be Lewin Sky Drive

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

That easily explains why Clinton is on board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Oh Bill... image

Etc... etc.

C'mon guys. Read the article. It says: "Clinton took the stage to promote the Samsung Hope for Children foundation, of which he the ambassador."

If he wants to do this because Samsung is providing help to the Clinton Global Foundation -- which probably does more good works around the world than most of you will in your lifetimes -- or global good causes near to his heart, that is his wont. Apple could ask for the same if it wanted to, and I am sure he would more than happily do it.

I realize that many of us (me included) dislike Samsung in these parts, but fair is fair.image

• Reply 37 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    [b]IS THAT THE NEW SHAPED DISPLAY SAMSUNG WAS HINTING AT?

ROUNDED CORNERS!?[/B]
  • Reply 38 of 52
    The xbox thing seemed kinda neat but don't know if it would make gaming more enjoyable. I mean with book cases and all the other things around your TV it just seems like it would be a messy image around the TV. I guess if you had your TV mounted in the center of a white wall it would be cool visually but still gimmicky.
    As far as the bendable screen I have 2 issues. First the phone with wrapped around screen on edges. Wouldn't this be a nuisance. After all the screen is touch sensitive so how would you hold your phone without activating a point of touch on the edges of the screen. Would Microsoft and Samsung tell consumers "they are holding the phone wrong" (had to do it since it's such a favorite of Android fans). I suppose if the edges were not part of the touch points and had active information on them such as notifications it could work but still not that useful, especially since you couldn't select anything (I suppose you could swipe it over to show on the flat section edge and be able to access it with touch). The second is the foldable screen idea turning into a tablet. I've heard consumers complain about a raised bezel on a phone so what would they say about creases? I doubt they can make the screen feel smooth when unfolded. Who knows though seeing it's just a concept.
    I'd be more interested if they can make a tablet that rolls up so you can easily read your paper every morning on the porch and still be able to swat flies with, while they buzz around your ears, if need be.
    In other words just more gimmicky than useful. Of course that's the point of these shows is to wow people with new gimmicky tech that is dreamt up.
  • Reply 39 of 52

The full room projector is an interesting idea... but if you think about it, I don't know how they could ever turn it into a real world product.

In the room they show it in, the TV is set back from the surrounding shelves, but the image reaches the front of the shelves.  This means there must be a projector behind the player. Since you're projecting a 3D scene into a 2D image onto a 3D surface, you have to perfectly match the player's viewing angle. This means you'll need some sort of head tracking, and everyone but the player will see distorted imagery.  Since you can't have the projector exactly where the player's eyes are, this means you'll get some kind of gap in the image where the TV shadows the back wall.  So now there are two projectors?

(actually going back, some clips show images on the shelves, other only show it on the back wall *through* the shelves, wtf? And in the "scanning" clip it somehow projects to the front of the shelves but misses the tv screen?)

Now what resolution do your two projectors have to be to not look crazy-pixelated when projected onto the walls? Add that rendering load to your console which already has to push out 1080p (or 4k if you believe the other announcements).

Add in motion sickness and cost if you ever got this to work and ... well ... why are they showing this video?

• Reply 40 of 52
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Oh come on now.  Cut Bill some slack.

Apple has Al Gore.  And he sold out to Al Jazerra.