Apple to lock iOS app screenshots upon submission to halt scammers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    realwarder wrote: »
    Not sure how you're hindered in the event of an update or version change, since you can upload a new image then...

Sometimes you change your mind about what are the best screenshots.

Which is why at some point they will likely create a way to submit descrip and image changes without a binary. But it will require approval before going live. To make sure it is the app it claims to be
  • Reply 22 of 27
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    evilution wrote: »
    Bandwidth from their servers and the fact that app approvers would have to sit through them before being able to approve the apps, is the only thing I can think of.
    Just imagine KickStarter type videos x100 every day, they'd go mad.

They wouldn't allow those filming the screen type videos so those would be easy to shut down. That would likely be like 90% of the videos. There would have to be careful rules on length, etc.

But yes it would be time consuming and at this point they wouldn't do it. Might they in the future, perhaps. Once, I would hope, after the other messes are cleaned up. At least to me, this kind of scam, padding descriptions with excessive info and keyword padding, fake reviews etc are bigger issues than no preview videos
  • Reply 23 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Bandwidth from their servers and the fact that app approvers would have to sit through them before being able to approve the apps, is the only thing I can think of.

Personally I'll always search on YouTube for video reviews before purchasing a game anyway.

I can't imagine that would be much of an issue. Feature videos are offered for apps on a "competing" platform and have been for a few months now. IMO it gives a much better idea of what the app is all about than simple screen shots, at least on the games side.

• Reply 24 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Personally I'll always search on YouTube for video reviews before purchasing a game anyway.

Rickrolling videos?

• Reply 25 of 27
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why? What's the downside?

Time and resources. Adding videos means slowing down the review process more than it is right now. Developers can host whatever video they want on their website, Youtube, Vimeo.. etc and have a link in the app description to that video.

• Reply 26 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I can't imagine that would be much of an issue. Feature videos are offered for apps on a "competing" platform and have been for a few months now. IMO it gives a much better idea of what the app is all about than simple screen shots, at least on the games side.

Evilution and NasserAE covered my reasoning in their posts.

In regard to Google Play those videos aren't vetted. Apple would need to make sure the videos are accurate just as they need to make sure these still images are accurate. I don't think anyone would disagree with you about a video providing a much better example of how an app works but that's the upside, not the downside. If Apple thinks it's feasible I'm certainly all for it, but I think it seems unlikely for Evilution and NasserAE's stated reasons.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155391/apple-to-lock-ios-app-screenshots-upon-submission-to-halt-scammers#post_2256603"]Apple should go after these criminals with everything that they've got. Ban them for life and then pursue further criminal charges and lawsuits, no matter where in the world they're located. Apple has plenty of cash and they should certainly aggressively chase after fraudsters and criminals who prey upon unsuspecting Apple customers, even though the overall scope of these frauds is obviously microscopic. I've downloaded a ton of apps and I've never once ran into any scam app. These criminals shouldn't just be banned from Apple's appstore, they should be banned from the entire internet, for life. You don't let convicted pedophiles hang around in school yards, and you shouldn't let convicted criminals and fraudsters, who commit their crimes on the internet, be able to gain access to the internet.

iOS's walled garden is a good thing, and it could be made even more secure. The thicker the walls, the less the chance of criminals sneaking through.
    Mooncraft is off the App Store so something good.
    Am I the only person who thinks that the problem is Apple approving "Mooncraft" (and alii), an obviously illegal ripoff of a successful game?
    The ONLY point of a walled garden is for these "innovative and original revolutionnary apps" (eg, ripoffs) to not end up in customers' hands.

A better solution would have been, as discussed a few days ago on these forums, to have a sample of the app, as Apple has for music or movies, or a solid refund policy (instead of refunding only when people threaten to go to court... "buy something, get something different, get refunded"), and most importantly a better review process.

At least, obviously Appple's aware of the existence of the problem, which is great news.
    Yes a rip off yet at least apple could do it but it would haft to be a video, but I also know apple has no free way to video apps so... Maybe it will hit the OS for all users with customozible features, I always thought hold down sleep/wake button and instead of single double click home,(or use Siri) and same to stop (or have it in multitasking).