Steve Jobs fought to keep ousted CEO Mark Hurd at Hewlett-Packard

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    gtr wrote: »
    We want Ballmer more for the entertainment value...

I have heard, from a reliable source, that the Apple TV will have an entire channel devoted to Ballmer...

My stateside sources say it will only be a screensaver.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    I sincerely believe webOS was going somewhere, even with the first model's flop. I believe Hurd would have stuck it out. The TouchPad hardware was decent and built well enough; their phones I can't comment on. Even before it was discontinued, I was rooting for webOS hoping it would gain at least second place in the mobile OS wars. I wouldn't mind Apple being dethroned from the #1 spot if it were at least done by an innovative product, not the digital equivalent of a counterfeit watch.

Witman is a fucking train wreck whose only claim to fame was being at the right place at the right time when eBay, a naturally desired service that filled a missing niche, succeeded -- as it would have under just about anyone at that time. HP's board keeps making one bad decision after another.

As far as Hurd's alleged sexual harassment -- most of those clams are usually bullshit in the first place.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I haven't seen this video, where/when was this one taken?  I guess he's learning how to walk fast from Sinofsky.

• Reply 24 of 29
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hurd was CEO when Palm was purchased but left a little over 3 months later.

Maybe Hurd had a plan but it became obvious that if so then it either didn't work or nobody listened.

Or they scrapped it right after he left. I'm not sure, but I'd find it difficult to believe their board would approve such an acquisition without a plan for it going forward.

• Reply 25 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshan View Post

This unfortunately ignores the fact that Hurd was very widely loathed inside HP long before he got in trouble with the board. Many of HP's problems started while he was there, lots of very temporary profit (and bonus) pumping tricks, lots of stock price games happened on his watch (e.g. drastic cost cutting in areas, like R&D, that were sure to come back and bite HP a bit further down the track. And have.)

It was under Hurd that HP really became an ink seller with a sideline in printers and PCs. That couldn't last, the crash was sure to come when there was nothing left to cut and no path forward either.

Hurd's one potentially smart move was of course buying Palm, but he fumbled even that and his successors have totally dropped the consumer ball since. So now they have no strategy, no product line worthy of the name, and more problems than they know what to do with.

HP has some awesome products that should be marketed more. Their switches and workstations. Their switches have the same if not more features then cisco for half the price. These same switches have lifetime warranties.

Their zxx series workstations rival the mac pro's usually using the same internal hardware. IF they built all their pc's like they do the workstations hp would be doing a lot better.

• Reply 26 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I haven't seen this video, where/when was this one taken?  I guess he's learning how to walk fast from Sinofsky.

That was from Qualcomm's CES keynote this week. Pure classic. If you didn't see their whole keynote you missed out.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3850056/qualcomms-insane-ces-2013-keynote-pictures-tweets

• Reply 27 of 29

Larry Ellison should buy HPQ and put Hurd back in charge of it.

• Reply 28 of 29
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I have heard, from a reliable source, that the Apple TV will have an entire channel devoted to Ballmer...

It's called "Developers!"

• Reply 29 of 29
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Does anyone at AI know how to proofread?????