Zero-day flaw prompts Apple to block Java 7 from OS X

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

As a developer who has written his share of Java code, I can say that it's a very nice language (and has spawned quite a few copycats, including Microsoft [the king of copycats] with C#).

Let's put this into perspective, shall we? A couple of well publicized exploits has put a lot of computers at risk on a couple of occasions. We're talking about it here because it finally has put the Mac at risk, true. However, hundreds of thousands of exploits have put even more computers at risk on a continuing basis - Microsoft Windows has historically done plenty of ugliness, yet ignorance has maintained its value in the eyes of the world.

Java like any third party runtime environment as always being security blackholes for OSes on a continuing bases. Java, Flash and M$ Office Macros account for the majority of security exploit OSX ever had. I don't question Java being nice language, but what is the value in there for end user over a native apps? There is none.  As a users I will ever prioritize native apps over ones using Java, Flash, and other third party runtime solutions. Not having Java on a desktop will only force people to find other and better solutions for the most part.

• Reply 42 of 43
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Tallest Skil View Post

I'm amazed every time I hear that Glimmerblocker still works. Why not AdBlock+Ghostery for all your ad blocking needs? 

I use Safari, Firefox, and Chrome for different things (work, seperate accounts, web dev testing). A system-level adblock means not having to maintain, update, or sync prefs for plugins across three browsers. Plus I'm familiar enough with its method of adding custom rules; whitelist Ars Technica, loopback Adobe phoning home, etc.

• Reply 43 of 43

You can retain the install of Lion or ML and keep it as an image - or burn a flash drive for it.  That process has saved my bacon.