Apple's Jan. 23 earnings conference call viewed as most important in 10 years

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMax1 View Post

People were skeptical (and made similar disparaging comments) regarding the mythical 'iPad Mini'.

God, I wish people would learn how to validly reason by analogy.

Simply because people were skeptical about something that succeeded does not mean that everything people are skeptical about will succeed. You can't point to one instance as similar unless you establish that it is, and these two situations are absolutely not similar.

• Reply 82 of 99
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Based on the comment you quoted "will be easier" is not the same as "will go up." His comment allows for other circumstances to be at work for any drop in the market. For instance, if you are a marathon runner it will be easier to clim Mount Everest than if yo are an invalid* but it is no guarantee that you will succeed, it just means that you have a single advantage in one area that will make it easier. If he had written more I didn't see it, only the part you quoted.

What a shock, the Global Administrator misunderstood something.

I posted him a challenge to put his money where his mouth is - payoff of a bet surrounding earnings being a 1 month hiatus from posting on these forums.  SHOCKING that he had it removed as usual.

• Reply 83 of 99
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cameronj wrote: »
    What a shock, the Global Administrator misunderstood something.

I posted him a challenge to put his money where his mouth is - payoff of a bet surrounding earnings being a 1 month hiatus from posting on these forums.  SHOCKING that he had it removed as usual.

I don't think that bet is reasonable. He's clearly very active in working to keep the forum tidy for our use. If you don't agree with his points then disagree with him (just as I did today). I don't see him deleting my posts because I think his point is incorrect. BTW, we all misunderstand things all the time so I don't think a site administrator should be treated any differently.
  • Reply 84 of 99

Quote:

I don't think that bet is reasonable. He's clearly very active in working to keep the forum tidy for our use. If you don't agree with his points then disagree with him (just as I did today). I don't see him deleting my posts because I think his point is incorrect. BTW, we all misunderstand things all the time so I don't think a site administrator should be treated any differently.

Well, he deleted my post that you replied to.  No infraction cited, simply post removed without a trace.

My post from last night was rewarded with a 10,000 day demerit point (god knows what that means, since they don't tell you how many you have to earn to be banned).

I'm not asking him to stop working to "keep the forum tidy" for our use.  I'm asking him to stop posting and I will do the same, depending on who wins.  Why is that not reasonable?  How many other administrators both participate in flame wars and punish those who he disagrees with with forum punishments?

• Reply 85 of 99
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

They're all waiting for that god damn Apple TV announcement.

• Reply 86 of 99
    Well, he deleted my post that you replied to.  No infraction cited, simply post removed without a trace.

My post from last night was rewarded with a 10,000 day demerit point (god knows what that means, since they don't tell you how many you have to earn to be banned).

I'm not asking him to stop working to "keep the forum tidy" for our use.  I'm asking him to stop posting and I will do the same, depending on who wins.  Why is that not reasonable?  How many other administrators both participate in flame wars and punish those who he disagrees with with forum punishments?

Hmm... lets see if that works:

I think Tallest Skil is a complete ??????????? whose mother would ???????????????????? out the of a goat's ?????????? with a ??????.
    <span style="color: rgb(136, 136, 136); font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; text-align: -webkit-auto; ">Edited by Tallest Skil - Today at 2:53 pm</span>
  • Reply 87 of 99
    solipsismx wrote: »

I think Tallest Skil is a complete ??????????? whose mother would ???????????????????? out the of a goat's ?????????? with a ??????.

Wow! That was fast! :p
  • Reply 88 of 99

Wow! That was fast! image

What character is that? It returns zero results in Bing.

Oh, it's just a big hyphen. Weird; it still shows up big in the field, even though the formatting is supposed to be stripped.

• Reply 89 of 99
    What character is that? It returns zero results in Bing.

Oh, it's just a big hyphen. Weird; it still shows up big in the field, even though the formatting is supposed to be stripped.

Black Rectangle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_Shapes

I couldn't figure out how to make it line up properly with the text so actually looks like it's been redacted.

edit: Read the last entry on this site. That is the ticket to making it look redacted: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7911562/creating-a-redacted-black-out-style-in-css
  • Reply 90 of 99

Quote:

Edited by Tallest Skil - Today at 2:53 pm

The gestapo around here prefers disappearing posts to redacting them.  ;)

Cmon Mr Admin.  New bet - because I know you couldn't stand to stop posting.  I win the bet (terms still to be determined) you put me on your ignore list.  If something I say needs to be disappeared, it will have to be a REAL administrator doing it, not just an addicted poster masquerading as one.  You win the bet, I go dark for a month.  What do you say?

TRY not to disappear this post.  There are NO personal attacks in here, much as I do love them.

• Reply 91 of 99
    The gestapo around here prefers disappearing posts to redacting them.  ;)

Cmon Mr Admin.  New bet - because I know you couldn't stand to stop posting.  I win the bet (terms still to be determined) you put me on your ignore list.  If something I say needs to be disappeared, it will have to be a REAL administrator doing it, not just an addicted poster masquerading as one.  You win the bet, I go dark for a month.  What do you say?

TRY not to disappear this post.  There are NO personal attacks in here, much as I do love them.

1) He's not masquerading as anything. He's an administrator now. Seems to me you attacking him for being one instead of addressing points he's made in the forum that you disagree with.

2) Gestapo counts as invoking Godwin's Law.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Feel free to disregard this post, it is merely a test.

Android ??????? can go and ???? themselves.

• Reply 93 of 99

Black Rectangle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_Shapes

I couldn't figure out how to make it line up properly with the text so actually looks like it's been redacted.

edit: Read the last entry on this site. That is the ticket to making it look redacted: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7911562/creating-a-redacted-black-out-style-in-css

Ah, you changed it. Yeah, that's the more common way to "redact" things. I like that character.

• Reply 94 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Our definitions of "a while" are clearly a little different.  Nobody can predict short term moves in any stock, but over the long run, stocks will tend to perform like the underlying company did.  In the last 12 months Apple rose from 420 to 520, a HUGE gain that is nearly double the historical average for stocks.  There was an irrational bubble in the middle of the year that was given back at the end of the year.

If you (you being anyone reading this, not just Apple ][) get too stressed out or don't understand the long run goal of stock ownership, then the smart thing to do is not follow the ticker but every few months to check in on your companies.  Ups and downs will happen, and they won't seem to make sense if you LOVE the company (as so many people here do).  You treat it like your kid - everything the company does you spin in your head in the best light.  Arrested for possession of alcohol at age 17?  Must have been that "bad friend" of theirs that caused it.  Posted on these forums have the same problem.  I was there in 1999 when Dell was the darling of the market too - you have posters who are amateur investors, bought the stock of their favorite computer maker and it went up 100% for 2 straight years.   Then the tide started turning and the stock stagnated, and these people were in denial for the next 5 years!

DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR STOCK, PEOPLE.

The only way you will ever make 50% per year for more than 1 year is if you get LUCKY, not if you follow the millions who already know Apple is a great story.   While next year might be excellent (I think it will be) because it follows a year where AAPL underperformed Apple Inc.  But that won't happen for years on end.  If you expect it to, it's time to sell now and try to find a stock more your speed.  Find a nice $1 stock that no one has heard about and hope that itd doubles instead of going to zero.

Or just invest in copper wire makers. Or steel. Or water companies. Those will keep making money for along while.

• Reply 95 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What difference does the price of the stock make? A gain is a gain. I don't care if a stock costs $5 or $500.

If somebody buys 100k of Nokia or 100k of Apple, and they both were to rise 10%, you'll end up with 10k profit in both scenarios.

I'm not claiming that Nokia is a great or strong company at the moment, and I don't plan on buying any Nokia stock. In case anybody were to misunderstand, I'm not comparing Apple VS Nokia as companies, merely their recent stock action, and Apple's has sucked for a while now.

I sort of disagree, it does depend on:

- how much you pay per order (flat fee)

- what percentage you pay per order

If you pay 2% per order (sell or buy), you need a 4+% increase just to be even.

If you pay 500$ per order (flat fee), and your stock costs 500$ and increases by one percent, you need to sell 100 of them just to be even.

In real life, it's often a mix of flat-fee+percentage, notwithstanding tax.

• Reply 96 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Completely separate issue from China becoming Apple's #1 market. But, the day Apple starts running the company to please Wall St will be the day they begin to not matter any longer.

Well why I don't totally disagree with that statement I am sure the investors have a different outlook. Not talking about people like you and I but the ones that get most of their compensation from stock.  I am sure they are not thrilled today.

• Reply 97 of 99

I sort of disagree, it does depend on:
    - how much you pay per order (flat fee)
    - what percentage you pay per order

If you pay 2% per order (sell or buy), you need a 4+% increase just to be even.
    If you pay 500$ per order (flat fee), and your stock costs 500$ and increases by one percent, you need to sell 100 of them just to be even.

In real life, it's often a mix of flat-fee+percentage, notwithstanding tax.

Except no one pays commission as a percentage of the order so your logic is moot. $8 per order on even a smal $1000 order is less than 1%.

And where are you getting this $500 commission per order? Frankly, anyone who's paying that much to buy stock seems like they are probably too stupid to be investing their own money anyway. I mean, does that same person going to convenience store and think that a Coke should cost $45?
  • Reply 98 of 99

I m just waiting for APPLE to make a deal with TMOBILE and CHINAMOBILE. Why is it taking for long. Someone needs to push the aapl employees. Do something while your sucking on the paycheck.

• Reply 99 of 99
    colin hu wrote: »
    I m just waiting for APPLE to make a deal with TMOBILE and CHINAMOBILE. Why is it taking for long. Someone needs to push the aapl employees. Do something while your sucking on the paycheck.

You're making an erroneous assumption Apple employees aren't working. You're forgetting that both parties have to agree to each other's terms and sign a binding contract. You also need to realize that T-Mobile USA and China Mobile (and NTT DoCoMo) are unique in that they have different HW requirements for devices to work on their networks. I can guarantee you they aren't just sitting around playing Angry Birds on their iPads.