US Mac shipments didn't shrink in holiday quarter, they grew 5%, Gartner says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Many businesses have sent Dell packing. Simply put Dell doesn't have the chops to support business properly. Couple that with the consummer perception of Dell and you have a recipe for a contraction in sales.
    Utter rubbish. I work for a company where Dell is used predominantly and has been for quite some time.  They are put through tons of requirements (performance, delivery, pricing, warranty etc) and they deliver.  We have well over 300k systems.

But do you work in IT? If you're only using a Dell you're bound to only see working Workstations whereas if you work in IT you're bound to see a lot of ITdoesn'tWorkStations.
  • Reply 22 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I work for IBM and honestly the quality of that system isn't even close to a MBP. 

Of course not, but people with no notion of what they want can't tell the difference. It looks like a MBP, smells like a MBP (ie specs), but costs half of a MBP. The salesman will even tell them they're getting the same thing for less. I know which one they will buy.

• Reply 23 of 36
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

This is hillarious. Stupid and incompetent businessmen/engineers/etc aka "Analyst" fighting against each other and manipulating the stock.

Anyway, 6million macs this quarter.

With youre comment you lost the right to come up with estimates. I call youre 6 millions mac even more BS than Gartner and IDC...

• Reply 24 of 36
    Lenovo the best business laptops on the market.... Hmmmm.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Either a 5% decline or rise, I think we can all agree Mac sales are flat, in a shrinking PC market.

• Reply 26 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Either a 5% decline or rise, I think we can all agree Mac sales are flat, in a shrinking PC market.

What's interesting once we get hard numbers from Apple are the growth comparisons in Mac-based PCs v. Windows-based PCs. I expect this gap will continue to grow in Apple's favour.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Well that's good, I hope these guys are right and not the other guys. But I still think the MAS needs some attention.

• Reply 28 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Utter rubbish. I work for a company where Dell is used predominantly and has been for quite some time.  They are put through tons of requirements (performance, delivery, pricing, warranty etc) and they deliver.  We have well over 300k systems.

Whoa!!! What's your ratio of IT staff to Dell computers? I'd suspect it to be higher than average. 

• Reply 29 of 36
    Duh, IDC is notorious for its low ball estimates for apple they always are lower than anyone else. I take what they say with a grain of salt. If I want real numbers just I just wait for apple to give them to the public themselves. They are the only computer, cell phone manufacturer who gives actual sales numbers. No one in android does because they dont want you to really know how low there actual sales numbers are. Shipped numbers are always larger, because there all sitting on a store shelf or in a warehouse waiting for the two for one sales.
  • Reply 30 of 36

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

With youre comment you lost the right to come up with estimates. I call youre 6 millions mac even more BS than Gartner and IDC...

Au contraire, with guesses like that he could be a top-billed analyst!

• Reply 31 of 36

Interesting to see this. I actually just contributed to this trend. Basically I bought a Win8 device and after two days I returned it. Next week I walked into an Apple Store and bought a Macbook Pro. I'm enjoying it and have no regrets. It is the first Mac I have owned (or touched) since an Apple II in school. 

• Reply 32 of 36

Originally Posted by Calivan View Post

It is the first Mac I have owned (or touched) since an Apple II in school. 

What goes around comes back around again. That's how many people first experienced computers at all, much less just Macs. Apple needs to lead the fight in education again with a new generation of kids raised on iOS devices. By the time they're grown (few more years now), they'll step out into the world of multitouch desktop computing. And they'll buy what they know.

• Reply 33 of 36
    What goes around comes back around again. That's how many people first experienced computers at all, much less just Macs. Apple needs to lead the fight in education again with a new generation of kids raised on iOS devices. By the time they're grown (few more years now), they'll step out into the world of multitouch desktop computing. And they'll buy what they know.

That is the strategy at Coca Cola I read somewhere. Target kids till the age of 18 and if their entrenched with our product they are bound to stick to it for life. Look at that company now; the world's most valuable brand.
    herbapou wrote: »

Au contraire, with guesses like that he could be a top-billed analyst!

Touché
  • Reply 34 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    calivan wrote: »
    Interesting to see this. I actually just contributed to this trend. Basically I bought a Win8 device and after two days I returned it. Next week I walked into an Apple Store and bought a Macbook Pro. I'm enjoying it and have no regrets. It is the first Mac I have owned (or touched) since an Apple II in school. 

Being what I assume is a longtime Windows user can I ask what specifically made you decide to return the Windows 8 machine and jump into a MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 35 of 36

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That is the strategy at Coca Cola I read somewhere. Target kids till the age of 18 and if their entrenched with our product they are bound to stick to it for life. Look at that company now; the world's most valuable brand.

Touché

Works for soda, cigarettes, alcohol, illegal drugs, and computing products.

Now if we could only get Windows illegalized, citing severe health concerns (and copious sweating)…

• Reply 36 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Works for soda, cigarettes, alcohol, illegal drugs, and computing products.

Now if we could only get Windows illegalized, citing severe health concerns (and copious sweating)…

Microsoft Windows, a gateway drug to the world of Apple.

Cheers