Apple wins patent for glass-on-metal trackpad designed by Jobs & Ive

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    http://www.google.ca/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebook-pixel/

So how the **** is this ok?

"Glass touchpad
    The feel and precision of a touchpad is one of the first things you notice about a laptop. Pixel%u2019s is made from etched glass, analyzed and honed using a laser microscope for exceptional smoothness and accuracy."
  • Reply 22 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Recognizing something worth stealing is right down the ladder from making something worth stealing.

Granted, it's roughly three miles down, but…

• Reply 23 of 25
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebook-pixel/

"Glass touchpad

The feel and precision of a touchpad is one of the first things you notice about a laptop. Pixel%u2019s is made from etched glass, analyzed and honed using a laser microscope for exceptional smoothness and accuracy."

I'm not going to argue where they got that design idea as I think they're aping the macbook pro. Even then I think your outrage is nonsensical. If you click through to the link on the original article though, the cited portion has nothing to do with the engineering. This is from the link. What you cited was a description of the engineering and manufacturing filtered into cheesy (my opinion) marketing. If I recall correctly they had patents on the engineering aspects too, but those are a different matter. I would be surprised if it was a general claim to a glass and metal trackpad. No one on here would claim that, yet you're comparing it to a line that only mentions that point.

Quote:

Claims:

CLAIM

1. The ornamental design for a portable computer, as shown and described.

Description:

FIG. 1 is a top view of a portable computer showing our new design;

FIG. 2 is a top view of a second embodiment thereof;

FIG. 3 is a top view of a third embodiment thereof;

FIG. 4 is a top view of a fourth embodiment thereof;

FIG. 5 is a top view of a fifth embodiment thereof; and,

FIG. 6 is a top view of a sixth embodiment thereof.

The portion of the portable computer shown in gray shading in FIGS. 2, 4, and 6 represents a metallic surface. The dot-dash broken lines represent an unclaimed border of the claimed design. The dashed broken lines represent environmental subject matter that forms no part of the claimed design.

• Reply 24 of 25
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is clear as mud (again).  Is it an ornamental patent or a trackpad design patent?  The title says one and the article implies the other.  

If it's a patent on the ornamental design of the MacBook Pro as it seems from the article that it is, then it can in no way actually be a patent on the glass trackpad which would be a design patent.  

Great point about the article being vague.

However (and correct me if I'm wrong), I think you meant to say that "a patent on the glass trackpad would be a UTILITY patent."

In this case, the patent number starts with a "D", which means it's a Design (ornamental) patent... and such patents cannot include functionality. (That is what utility patents are for.)

• Reply 25 of 25
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    You are exactly right regarding utility and design patents.