Rare limited edition Newton MessagePad 110 on eBay for $1,350 [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
An eBay listing for a clear-bodied, working example of a Newton MessagePad 110 showed up on Monday, offering collectors a chance to get their hands on a rare limited run edition of the Apple PDA.

Newton MessagePad 110

Update: Sold on Tuesday.

The sale, titled "Apple Newton MessagePad 110 Prototype with Clear Case," is available only under the "buy it now" option for $1,350, a reduction from the seller's original price of $1,999.

As seen in the listing's title, the item was originally advertised as a prototype, but further investigation shows that this particular model was given to developers at an Apple conference years ago. The exact number of identical units produced is unknown, though the seller noted in a revision to their post that the number could be between 150 and 2,000.

Apple debuted the consumer version of the MessagePad 110 in 1994 as a follow-up to the original Newton MessagePad which launched in 1993. The now defunct line of PDAs ran until 1998 when Apple stopped sales of the MessagePad 2100.

Included in the sale is the MessagePad's original box, instruction booklets, software and matching transparent stylus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

It's sold, but another one is available at auction:

Transparent Developer Edition MessagePad on eBay

The starting bid is $299.

--

There's also a clear-cased prototype ~1996 Apple eMate 300 laptop available.

• Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    This should work for people looking for a 5.5" iPhone:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 3 of 6
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I had one of these. Sold it for a palm III later on. Then I bought a Newton 2000 upgraded to a 2100. I have that still. For awhile I used that as inspiration for our product designs.
    In my collection of stuff it's my pride and joy.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    These are not so rare. As a manufacture's rep for Apple back then, I sold several hundred, if not s thousand of these to a former Apple dealer in NH called Computer Town that sold them all during a Macworld Show in Boston.
  • Reply 5 of 6

Quote:

These are not so rare. As a manufacture's rep for Apple back then, I sold several hundred, if not s thousand of these to a former Apple dealer in NH called Computer Town that sold them all during a Macworld Show in Boston.

Please excuse my asking, but do you think you could assign an actual (conservative) figure to the number of these your firm sold? Oh, and: do you know if Computer Town sold them at MacWorld '94 or MacWorld '95?

• Reply 6 of 6
    nwonknunwonknu Posts: 1member
    Here's another one, for a bargain basement price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271505776813