Verizon numbers hint Apple may have shipped more than 50M iPhones last quarter

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

And at "around 50%" the iPhone 5 is "the best selling one".

As I said, it's no problem yet.

• Reply 82 of 91
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    changeover wrote: »
    Maybe it doesn't hurt their profits but if it's true what you are saying, that the older phones are killing the demand for the newest one, then it could become a problem in the long run. Probably not yet, because they still sell a whole lot of new phones. But as soon as the demand for new phones starts declining and you sell more old ones then you'd have a problem. In my opinion the newest phone should always be the best selling one.

Technically all of the cost or R&D and production have already been absorbed by the older models so that could be more profitable to them.
  • Reply 83 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Technically all of the cost or R&D and production have already been absorbed by the older models so that could be more profitable to them.

It's not the profit I'm worried about. Apple wouldn't sell these phones if they lowered their profit, i guess.

It's the message this would send out. New iPhones are not affordable for 'normal' people.

Or maybe this is exactly what Apple wants.

• Reply 84 of 91
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    kingchael wrote: »
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323485704578257393880660184.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet

They sold more IP4s than 5's... Apple's tapped out the premium buyers already which means their margins will get killed.  Great, so they probably announce mid 50's in IP sales, but margins are 35%... EPS will barely get above 12. 

That's what their "innovation" results in... selling recycled garbage even Apple fanatics are sick of and can't afford to buy anymore.

Actually it's the 4 and 4S combined outselling all Android devices too. The 5 outsold every other single model on VZN.
  • Reply 85 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

50 million? That's it?

Android had 50 million activations every minute.

Apple can't compete without a 6", 4K phablet...and a stylus...

It's easy for Android to have so many activations when Google lets any unknown company use Android on any piece of garbage they can produce. An activation is an activation, right? I'd like to know how many of the really cheap Android tablets were sold from places like Big Lots ($69 specials) that make up that total. Oh, and we're talking about iPhone sales, not ALL iOS devices. That Android activation number is a grand total for any device running Android, not just phones. I'm sure we'll get to hear how many iPads, iPad minis and iPod Touches will ADD to that total number. If not for this call, definitely when iOS 7 is announced. 

Meanwhile, Apple is ONE company making and selling iPhones, a total of 3 models to be exact. Considering the cheapest one is $449, they don't have the bottom-of-the-barrel crap adding up their numbers like, say Samesung. Samesung is trying to be Apple, but Apple isn't trying to be Samesung, remember? 

If Apple does come out with a new entry-level iPhone priced around $349 for developing and prepaid markets, it still won't be nearly as crappy as what Samesung is offering at the bottom. I've read of many of the quality problem from devices like the Galaxy Proclaim... not pretty. 

But, then again, Samesung is having some problems of their own with the beloved Galaxy SIII. Where are all the Apple bashers to come out stomping their feet and pouting that the GSIII has potentially SEVERE problems? Oh, that's right... it's Samesung and they can do no wrong. It's not newsworthy.  

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-sudden-death-mainboard-issue-141783/

• Reply 86 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

It's easy for Android to have so many activations when Google lets any unknown company use Android on any piece of garbage they can produce. An activation is an activation, right? I'd like to know how many of the really cheap Android tablets were sold from places like Big Lots ($69 specials) that make up that total. Oh, and we're talking about iPhone sales, not ALL iOS devices. That Android activation number is a grand total for any device running Android, not just phones. I'm sure we'll get to hear how many iPads, iPad minis and iPod Touches will ADD to that total number. If not for this call, definitely when iOS 7 is announced.

No it's not according to Andy Rubin. An activation requires a carrier. Simply buying a no-name Android device lacking a cellular connection, particularly without Google-licensed services (another requirement for counting as an activation according to Rubin) doesn't add to the Google published Android numbers. That would apparently rule out counting the paltry three or four dozen Android tablets actually sold over the past few years offering only wi-fi connections.image

• Reply 87 of 91
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The capital manufacturing investment part doesn't apply in this case, at least not to Apple.  It would, of course, apply to the actual manufacturer... Foxconn.  

This is not true. Apple makes significant capital investment in the equipment used at Foxconn and component suppliers. Their 10-K filings often highlight the high capital expenditures. Just from the last 10-K (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312509214859/d10k.htm):

Quote:

The Company has invested in internal capacity and strategic relationships with outside manufacturing vendors, and believes it has adequate manufacturing capacity for the foreseeable future. The Company continues to make investments in capital equipment as needed to meet anticipated demand for its products.

• Reply 88 of 91
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

As was explained earlier this probably isn't hurting their profits, but I do wonder if the production cuts for iPhone 5 were because the 4/4S are still selling so robustly killing some of the demand they expected for the 5?

Except that there is no proof of production cuts. A WSJ article with no data, no details, and citing no one is not proof by any measure. As I said before, the mere allegation that Apple screwed up at all, let alone on the level claimed, in its supply chain is so ludicrous that it's unbelievable that anyone believed it. Even those who will accept anything negative about Apple.

• Reply 89 of 91
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post

It's easy for Android to have so many activations when Google lets any unknown company use Android on any piece of garbage they can produce.

An activation is an activation, right?

According to Rubin and The VergeGoogle's Android device activation count consists only of the first time that any particular device id accesses Google services (gmail, maps, search, etc).  

Only devices that have licensed (or perhaps sideloaded) those services show up in the activation numbers.   

So many of the world's cheapest devices aren't counted, nor are some popular tablets like the Kindle Fire.

• Reply 90 of 91
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

delete

• Reply 91 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kdarling wrote: »
    According to Rubin and The Verge, <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Google's Android device activation count consists</span>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;"> only of the first time that any particular</span>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;"> device id accesses Google services (gmail, maps, search, etc).  </span>

<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Only devices that have licensed (or perhaps sideloaded) those services show up in the activation numbers.   </span>

<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">So many of the world's cheapest devices aren't counted, nor are some popular tablets like the Kindle Fire.</span>

Then where are all these devices when it comes to the carrier, app and web stats as they always seem to be MIA except when it comes to a random and semi-vageu comment from a Google exec.