Apple sees 2 billion iMessages sent daily from half a billion iOS devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blackbook wrote: »
    People love seeing blue text bubbles when their communicating with other iPhone users.

I'm just glad they finally tied the numbers and email addresses into each global account properly so that people who send to my phone number will also show up on my Mac and iPad. I was surprised Apple hadn't worked that out from the start. Seemed like an odd oversight to me.
  • Reply 21 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blackbook wrote: »
    People love seeing blue text bubbles when their communicating with other iPhone users.

I'm just glad they finally tied the numbers and email addresses into each global account properly so that people who send to my phone number will also show up on my Mac and iPad. I was surprised Apple hadn't worked that out from the start. Seemed like an odd oversight to me.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Look at what you wrote. You said "SMS is the equivalent of a short phone call." I correct you by explaining how there is no "phone call". The phone does not make a call to send the data. It's all sent from the handset and received to the handset via the control channel. This is not debatable! What you're trying to do now is obfuscate the fact that you misrepresented the facts by trying to explain a different part of the process and change the argument and infer I said it was magical or empty. That's not going to happen. SMS data is sent to and from the handset via the control channel. Period.

Whoa.  I meant no offense.  I was not saying that you said it was magical or empty.  I only meant that's how it's explained on the internet.   Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yes, I said it's the equivalent of a short phone call.   I was trying to coach it in language that people can understand.  If I weren't in a hurry to get to bed, I suppose I should've said "rough equivalent".   Better?

I thought it was clear that I was talking about the carrier resources that were involved, plus the fact that at the destination, almost all of a regular phone call's authentication and setup is necessary, along with even more resources to store and acknowledge receipt... all being details that most people don't know, and certainly never bring up.

In other words, just saying it uses "a control channel" to talk to the TOWER, makes it sound like it costs nothing to do.   My point is, that's the smallest part of the journey and resources being used, and yet still requires more than just plopping the message into a blank area.

• Reply 24 of 29
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Agreed.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Now if they'd just merge Messages (iOS and OS X) with FaceTime… 

Huh? There already is the FT camera icon in the top right corner of Messages.app. You must mean something that I'm not seeing (duh, what a stupid last sentence)
  • Reply 26 of 29

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? There already is the FT camera icon in the top right corner of Messages.app. You must mean something that I'm not seeing (duh, what a stupid last sentence)

I mean FaceTime not being a standalone app(lication) at all.

• Reply 27 of 29
    I mean FaceTime not being a standalone app(lication) at all.

Ah, ok. Well, we could of course delete /Applications/FaceTime.app and Messages as well if they'd integrate it all with the Contacts.app. Why I can't FT from within the Contacts on OSX but can on iOS is also beyond me.

They're slipping ¡
  • Reply 28 of 29

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ah, ok. Well, we could of course delete /Applications/FaceTime.app and Messages as well if they'd integrate it all with the Contacts.app. Why I can't FT from within the Contacts on OSX but can on iOS is also beyond me.

I'd like to see a list of my contacts within Messages so that I don't have to type out the name of any of my iMessage contacts every single time.

But no, that makes zero sense¡ Apple's not known for doing GUI solutions over keyboard solutions¡

• Reply 29 of 29
    I'd like to see a list of my contacts within Messages so that I don't have to type out the name of any of my iMessage contacts every single time.

But no, that makes zero sense¡ Apple's not known for doing GUI solutions over keyboard solutions¡

1. They really ought to integrate these 3 apps into 1.

2. The more I see the ¡ symbol the more I like it (as a symbol)