Unlocking cellphones without carrier permission will be illegal come Saturday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97

Don't.get.this. I understand that the phones are locked so the carrier can recover their subsidy, but unlocking the phone and moving to a new carrier doesn't really prevent them from recovering their subsidy, does it? Either I have to continue paying on contract as if I hadn't jumped carriers, or I have to pay an early termination fee. Either way, they get their money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is there operationally any difference between a user unlocked device and a carrier unlocked one? Aside from needing to redo it each software update, that is. If not, it doesn't matter, as the telecoms won't be able to tell.

The difference is that the carrier will (generally) only unlock a device after the contract is up. Oh wait, you asked if there was an operational difference... :)

• Reply 22 of 97
    majjo wrote: »
    Doubtful anything like that will happen, but still makes me wish the European system was more prevalent here.

Careful what you wish for; in Belgium it used to be illegal for telco's to sell you a subscription together with a phone. Reason behind it was that a seller can sell you something, but not make it mandatory to sell you another product at the same time. Don't know if this still applies; we have other issues with telco's here.

1. Hardly any Visual Voicemail here. And if the carrier has it? € 1.99/month.
    2. Hardly any LTE. Many carriers go for the 'cheaper' version on the 800MHz band. So no iPhone/iPad.

Unrelated: I live in an area where the (call) reception is bad and there's no 3G. Strange, because one member of the BoD from our largest telco KPN also lives here. Maybe he doesn't use a phone(?)
  • Reply 23 of 97
    My device, my rules.

Is there operationally any difference between a user unlocked device and a carrier unlocked one? Aside from needing to redo it each software update, that is.

The carriers can't tell but with a user unlock you have a great chance of updates and epecially restores bricking your phone and Apple doesn't have to and won't help you
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Oh, they couldn't do that. What of the legally unlocked phones? There'd be no way of tracking.

Actually there is. The carriers know from their records what imei they unlocked. And they could easily ind out from Apple etc what units were sold unlocked.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    exsangus wrote: »
    So I guess they can get rid of ETFs... Like that will happen.

ETFs are tied to subsidies, not locking
  • Reply 26 of 97

Quote:

They are.

Hardly. Everyone who jailbreaks does so with the knowledge they are circumventing Apple's wishes, and I've never met personally, nor read comments from in any forums, a jailbreaker who blamed Apple for any glitches encountered after the jailbreak.

What they do blame Apple for, however, is the NECESSITY to jailbreak in the first place. Case in point: if I purchase an unlocked iPhone, the damn cellular data settings menu should be accessible by default. That they tie that unlock into the carrier's ID is ridiculous. Because of this, I've had to jailbreak a legally unlocked 4S just to get data and MMS working on StraightTalk. No other tweaks are enabled, not a custom icon theme, no tethering hacks, nothing besides a small app that unlocks the cellular data setting tab in Settings.

• Reply 27 of 97

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Hardly.

Sorry, the 'they' refers to 'jailbroken phones'. So, by definition, not hardly.

• Reply 28 of 97
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

My device, my rules.

Is there operationally any difference between a user unlocked device and a carrier unlocked one? Aside from needing to redo it each software update, that is. If not, it doesn't matter, as the telecoms won't be able to tell.

To make it clear again, it's just phones sold after that date, correct? All phones purchased prior to it are still legally user-unlockable, right?

I'm waiting to read whether this only refers to phones under contract.

Quote:

HA, subtle. Sad, but subtle.

There are good reasons to jailbreak. It doesn't mean you want to pirate software.

• Reply 29 of 97
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

when are the fucktard writers of this site going to realise it's a global website? 

how about '

Unlocking cellphones in the US without carrier permission will be illegal come Saturday'

• Reply 30 of 97
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    akf2000 wrote: »
    when are the fucktard writers of this site going to realise it's a global website?

I agree that the internet is a global thing, but certainly do not mind the vision from AI, being a US-based website / organization where they write from their own perspective. What's next; you want them to switch over to the metric system?

Just read it as-is, and learn something from American habits, writing styles and not be bothered by your own shortsightedness/narrow-mindedness. I'm not.
  • Reply 31 of 97
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm sure your total bill is still waaaaaay lower than the average US bill. 

• Reply 32 of 97
    This still pisses me off. It doesn't just stop you from using it on a competitor, it forces international roaming at exorbitant rates. If you have a contract, they will get their money if you leave. Legally screwing you during the contract term is BS.

Since I moved my 4 to a corporate account, AT&T is giving me the runaround while trying to unlock it even though I meet their requirements. Looks like I have to move it back to a personal account to get it unlocked. The good news is that I'm out of the country and can unlock the phone if I want since I'm out of the jurisdiction that this applies too. :)
  • Reply 33 of 97

Quote:

My device, my rules.

To make it clear again, it's just phones sold after that date, correct? All phones purchased prior to it are still legally user-unlockable, right?

The question is "if you buy an off-the-shelf-model-from-apple", can you get a subscription with those 450$ off, or do you get ripped off?

If you can't, this should be stricked down, because ti's not designed to protect a business model, it's designed to protect an immoral market lockdown.

• Reply 34 of 97

Quote:

Careful what you wish for; in Belgium it used to be illegal for telco's to sell you a subscription together with a phone. Reason behind it was that a seller can sell you something, but not make it mandatory to sell you another product at the same time. Don't know if this still applies; we have other issues with telco's here.

2. Hardly any LTE. Many carriers go for the 'cheaper' version on the 800MHz band. So no iPhone/iPad.

Unrelated: I live in an area where the (call) reception is bad and there's no 3G. Strange, because one member of the BoD from our largest telco KPN also lives here. Maybe he doesn't use a phone(?)

Maybe he uses Ben.nl :p

• Reply 35 of 97
    richl wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

I'm sure your total bill is still waaaaaay lower than the average US bill. 

True indeed. They US rates are simply exorbitant. I'm on (KPN) subscription, paying € 32.50/m which includes, gee, don't even know what it includes as I never go over it. But take a peek at that site, even though it's in Dutch you will understand MB / SMS / € ...and 500 means 500 lol
  • Reply 36 of 97

So glad I live in Ireland. $45 a month for 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 15GB (including tethering). the carriers must unlock by law at the end of your contract. And no anti consumer legislation. benefits of the EU.

• Reply 37 of 97
    So glad I live in Ireland. $45 a month for 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 15GB (including tethering). the carriers must unlock by law at the end of your contract. And no anti consumer legislation. benefits of the EU.

Wow, that is cheap! And more than one could get through I'd wager. We could make a poll out of this who's the lowest paying dude on this site. Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 38 of 97

Quote:

We could make a poll out of this who's the lowest paying dude on this site. 

Great idea. I know the UK is cheaper than Ireland but I'd be interested to see who else is cheap

• Reply 39 of 97
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »
    True indeed. They US rates are simply exorbitant. I'm on (KPN) subscription, paying € 32.50/m which includes, gee, don't even know what it includes as I never go over it. But take a peek at that site, even though it's in Dutch you will understand MB / SMS / € ...and 500 means 500 lol

That's funny - I'm in the US and I don't consider my rates to be out of line with what the two of you are paying. I pay $45 per month for unlimited texts, unlimited voice, and unlimited data. You just have to avoid the major carriers.

The biggest problem here is that you're paying a premium to the carrier because your phone is subsidized, but when you complete the contract, the rate stays the same. That's a large part of why Apple (and other suppliers of high end phones) have done so well here - you're paying the higher monthly rate even after you've "paid off" the subsidy, so why not get a new phone? I'd like to see the monthly rates drop after the contract period is finished. I like the idea of requiring them to unlock at the end of the contract, but in practice, that's not a problem here - I believe all the major carriers will do it upon request.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's funny - I'm in the US and I don't consider my rates to be out of line with what the two of you are paying. I pay $45 per month for unlimited texts, unlimited voice, and unlimited data. You just have to avoid the major carriers.

Well, that certainly is a reasonable price! With the keyword being unlimited it is actually cheaper than my subscription.
    I'd like to see the monthly rates drop after the contract period is finished.

I don't actually know what they offer here; people just move to the next telco, getting a new phone and porting their number over.
    I like the idea of requiring them to unlock at the end of the contract.

Over here they are required by law to do that (free) after one year, upon customers' request.