Apple's iPhone grew to 25.1% global market share in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung, meanwhile, shipped 63.7 million smartphones in the holiday quarter,

My guess is that 50% of those were low-end handsets. Apple doesn't play in this market.

• Reply 22 of 55
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

OK, one more time for those who can' be bothered to click the links I posted above.

Total smartphones for the year is NOT 545.2 million, according to IDC's own figures.

• Reply 23 of 55

excellent links with much more detailed information on the smartphone market. Should be required reading before posting.

• Reply 24 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Yep! Saw That and bought some shares today.

AAPL is now at a record low, it can only rise from here.

I hope  °_°?

it'll start rising once the product rumors start rolling out.

• Reply 25 of 55

Quote:

I hope  °_°?

Don't be naive.

Do you know what is between Apple and 300$? Nothing! There's no reason behind APPL. It can go all the way down...

Since Apple is growing so much and is by far the most powerful/strong company, it means nothing to them, but for shareholders it can be a very dangerous game to play.

Don't be emotional, lot's of people are losing money because they are trying to use emotion/logic/tech knowledge to make decisions about buying shares, don't do that. Think like a stupid fandroid, or someone that only sees MTV, dress like a slut, etc. That's the right way to make money from Apple's stock. Wall street isn't for smart people/engineers/etc, otherwise we would have a lot of Warren Buffets. Wall street is for "sheep", the ones that follow digitime's rumors, etc. that sort of trash...

Please, don't risk it.

• Reply 26 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

My guess is that 50% of those were low-end handsets. Apple doesn't play in this market.

No. All galaxy line of models sold less than 100 million since their creation... You can barely see high end samsung phones and they "only" had 6 billion on profit from fridges TVs missiles and tanks, etc.

My educated guess? Less than 20% were high end phones (note+s3+s2).

• Reply 27 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    blackbook wrote: »

Weak in that their market share went down for the quarter.

I meant to say good "year" not good "war". I always have trouble with the mobile version of AI...

Apple sold a record num of iPhones and the market is growing at a faster pace. That is not weak. Now if Apple sold less than before or the market is shrinking, then that'll be worse.
    stelligent wrote: »

So how many analysts actually wrote/said that Apple was "doomed". Please provide link in each case. Otherwise, you're liar, right? :)

I don't think I said any analyst said Apple was doomed in verbatim, but considering the P/E ratio is low and the fact Apple can back 1/3 of its market cap with cash/invest, what possible logic could there be in the steep drop? Why is it only Apple needs to create new markets. What's the point of market share if you're not making any money. At worse, Apple has 2/3 of the mobile profits. It sold a record number if iPhone/iPads. The Mac did drop but Cook did warn about that in the last qtr. Analysts fret about market share AND ASP. They want cheap product but they want the margins and ASP to be high. Apple can't win.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,439member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No. All galaxy line of models sold less than 100 million since their creation... You can barely see high end samsung phones and they "only" had 6 billion on profit from fridges TVs missiles and tanks, etc.

My educated guess? Less than 20% were high end phones (note+s3+s2).

According to the latest Samsung quarterly profit statements their handsets division "which sells about a quarter of all mobile phones in the world according to analysts, saw an operating profit of 5.44tn won, up from 2.56tn won a year earlier."

I think that's around $4.7B in US dollars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21191431

Also of note: Samsung is projecting that overall growth in smartphone sales will begin slowing this year worldwide, particularly noticeable in developed countries (ie US, GB, FR, etc). 

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/samsung-puts-lid-capex-1st-time-since-financial-123102850--finance.html

• Reply 29 of 55
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,938member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Overall, Apple's share was 25% in 2012. But the Q4 share was 21%. Furthermore, it's lower than its Q4 share in 2011. So is Blackbook really completely wrong?

I understand the instinct to feel defensive when one is a holder of $AAPL. But objectivity is worth as much as money?

I am not a holder of AAPL, nor was their last quarter "weak" by any objective, rational measure. So, yes, he was completely wrong.

• Reply 30 of 55

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Nokia at 6.4% - they never knew what hit them.

"Well, just change the title… 'Sometimes You Hear The Bullet'…"

Record low is like a dollar. If Apple hits that, I'll buy 100,000 shares. I'll take out a loan to do it, but I'll buy the 100,000 shares!

• Reply 31 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Looks like the data is saying it was a good war overall but a weak holiday quarter for Apple.

Samsung undoubtedly had a good quarter, but the numbers are slightly misleading. Every company other than Apple reports units shipped as opposed to units sold. Apple reports units sold. Inevitably Samsung has millions of units sitting in stores or in transit that are counted towards its sales figures. If Apple used the same counting method, it would undoubtedly have millions more units as well (at least in transit). 

Samsung is beating up Apple mostly in emerging markets like China where it is selling devices on the world's largest carrier, but Apple is not. Apple will likely address this by bringing out a less expensive iPhone (perhaps just for those markets). 

• Reply 32 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

I hope  °_°?

I thought that when I bought at 455 yesterday. Yet it is still sinking while the rest of the market raises. 

• Reply 33 of 55
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

This isn't hard to figure out.   Let's look at the sales over the past six months, to get an up to date estimate of what customers are currently buying.

• Samsung sold ~116 million smartphones during that time period (3Q and 4Q).

• The "100 million Galaxy S total" consists of  25 million S, 40 million S2 and 41 million S3.    

The S3 was introduced at the beginning of June, but didn't hit the mass markets until the end of July.   We'll cut that in half, and say it started mid-year.  Therefore about 41 million S3s sold out of 116 million total smartphones, so...

~35% of Samsung's smartphone sales over the past six months were GS3 alone.

Throw in just three months of the Galaxy Note 2, which sold 5 million in 60 days and was averaging 2 million a month, and we get that about 41% of all their smartphones sold in the second half of 2012 were the newest high end units (Galaxy S3 and Note 2). 

This leaves out any second half sales of older S2 and Note models, which would increase the high end percentage.

• Reply 34 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

This isn't hard to figure out.   Let's look at the sales over the past six months, to get an up to date estimate of what customers are currently buying.

• Samsung sold ~116 million smartphones during that time period (3Q and 4Q).

• The "100 million Galaxy S total" consists of  25 million S, 40 million S2 and 41 million S3.    

The S3 was introduced at the beginning of June, but didn't hit the mass markets until the end of July.   We'll cut that in half, and say it started mid-year.  Therefore about 41 million S3s sold out of 116 million total smartphones, so...

~35% of Samsung's smartphone sales over the past six months were GS3 alone.

Throw in just three months of the Galaxy Note 2, which sold 5 million in 60 days and was averaging 2 million a month, and we get that about 41% of all their smartphones sold in the second half of 2012 were the newest high end units (Galaxy S3 and Note 2). 

This leaves out any second half sales of older S2 and Note models, which would increase the high end percentage.

So what you are saying is that Apple sold more high end smartphones in one quarter than Samsung did in half a year?

• Reply 35 of 55

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

41% of all their smartphones sold in the second half of 2012 were the newest high end units

Funny how copying Apple's devices and strategy shows that the strategy is the most successful one after all.

• Reply 36 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

So what you are saying is that Apple sold more high end smartphones in one quarter than Samsung did in half a year?

Probably.  Haven't looked, since I'm not doing any such comparison.  Let the kids fight the meaningless fan wars about "who's winning" etc .  I guarantee that in a fairly short period of time, few here will even remember these threads.

I'm only posting numbers for others to use in their debates;  numbers which are more than just wild guesses.

• Reply 37 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Well, just change the title… 'Sometimes You Hear The Bullet'…"

Record low is like a dollar. If Apple hits that, I'll buy 100,000 shares. I'll take out a loan to do it, but I'll buy the 100,000 shares!

Yeah, If you take it by the letter, it might sink even below that.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/stockpricequote/electricequipment/birlapowersolutions/BPS01

I still hope, AAPL doesn't follow that lead. ;-)

• Reply 38 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Samsung undoubtedly had a good quarter, but the numbers are slightly misleading. Every company other than Apple reports units shipped as opposed to units sold. Apple reports units sold. 

Apple reports a sale either when (1) a unit is sold directly to an end user from their own stores, or (2) when a unit is shipped to a retailer to be resold to an end user later.  

In Samsung's SEC filing, they state that they record a sale when the unit is delivered to a retailer.

Quote:

Inevitably Samsung has millions of units sitting in stores or in transit that are counted towards its sales figures.   If Apple used the same counting method, it would undoubtedly have millions more units as well (at least in transit).

For BOTH companies, there are times that units already counted as sales are not retailed immediately to end users.  For example, the infamous time a couple of years ago when Samsung's first tablets didn't sell through to end users as much as retailers had ordered.   

Another example occurred last year for iPhones and iPads, when retailers bought more units in one quarter than they could sell through to end users, and therefore bought less the next quarter, due to millions of extra units still in their retailer inventory.

• Reply 39 of 55
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple sold a record num of iPhones and the market is growing at a faster pace. That is not weak. Now if Apple sold less than before or the market is shrinking, then that'll be worse.

I don't think I said any analyst said Apple was doomed in verbatim, but considering the P/E ratio is low and the fact Apple can back 1/3 of its market cap with cash/invest, what possible logic could there be in the steep drop? Why is it only Apple needs to create new markets. What's the point of market share if you're not making any money. At worse, Apple has 2/3 of the mobile profits. It sold a record number if iPhone/iPads. The Mac did drop but Cook did warn about that in the last qtr. Analysts fret about market share AND ASP. They want cheap product but they want the margins and ASP to be high. Apple can't win.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I am not a holder of AAPL, nor was their last quarter "weak" by any objective, rational measure. So, yes, he was completely wrong.

Probably a better analysis of the situation is that the low end smartphone market (Samsung) grew faster than the high end (Apple)

Apple didn't have a "bad" quarter, but it was weaker than many expected. I do find it interesting how well the iPhone 4 sold this holiday quarter. The demand for cheaper handsets seems to be strong not only in the "3rd world" but also here in the US as well.

• Reply 40 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I thought that when I bought at 455 yesterday. Yet it is still sinking while the rest of the market raises. 

I wrote a few days ago that I'll be buying back into AAPL soon, but I haven't done it yet. Buying now is just rolling the dice, IMO. I need to see confirmation first, and time my moves at the right time. Buying at the absolute bottom is not a big priority for me. Buying when it is trending up is more of a priority for me. If AAPL stays flat for a while, then I guess that I will be patient, and I won't be making any moves at all, at least not in AAPL.