Doctors see Apple's iPhone as life saver in 'the future of medicine'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Given how cluttered the unlicensed WiFi spectrum is, it'd make sense to create a band that's dedicated to medical devices. Every WiFi chip would be able to use it, but only certain apps, mostly medical ones, would be able to access it.

Otherwise, we're going to find people whose heart attack symptoms go undetected because the guy in the next apartment is streaming a movie or because a microwave over in a cafe is warming up meals.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    The iPads could be life savers, too - especially if you could make (at least emergency) calls with them.

But selling iPhones AND iPads is more important to Apple.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kcartesius wrote: »
    The iPads could be life savers, too - especially if you could make (at least emergency) calls with them.

But selling iPhones AND iPads is more important to Apple.

Yeah, it's too bad my refrigerator won't let me make emergency calls, either. Nor will my vacuum cleaner. What if I'm in the middle of my living room vacuuming the carpet and have a heart attack? The vacuum really needs a built-in phone.

Maybe they need to put a phone in my dog's collar, too. I could have a heart attack while out walking my dog.

For that matter, my skis should have a cell phone built in, too. Just think how hard it might be to get help up on a ski slope if something happens.

The iPad isn't a phone nor was it meant to be. Granted, with Skype, you can use it to make phone calls if you have a WiFi connection, but that's not its main purpose. If you need a phone, carry a phone.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

An iPad could make emergency VoIP calls without needing cellular service.

Providing such an emergency service client and server might even be a good business proposition.   Wonder if it's been done already?

--

VoIP side note:  back around 2006, I sometimes used VoIP on my WinMo smartphone to be able to do simultaneous voice + data on Verizon.

• Reply 45 of 45
    spinozaspinoza Posts: 15member
    Presumably, the next version will have a built-in automatic defibrillator.