Apple releases iOS 6.1 with iTunes Match improvements, Siri movie ticket sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    timbit wrote: »
    Are there any benefits to the iPhone 4 in this update? Doesn't seem like it.

Nothing in the way of notable changes but I would wager there are bug and performance fixes that are likely to make your iOS experience marginally better.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    jingojingo Posts: 117member

Great to hear that it fixes bugs - but it would be extremely helpful to know exactly WHICH bugs have been fixed. Apple leave themselves so open to criticism because they don't tell us what they have sorted out with this update.

For example a number of my mates have reported problems with using iOS 6.0.x with their cars over Bluetooth (calls dropping etc) - has this been fixed yet?

It is very unhelpful to give such a vague, lazy and generic "bug-fixes and improvements" detail to the upgrade - there are people out there who I know are ready to jump to Android because of specific problems they have experienced and I can't tell them that their problems have been fixed because there is no acknowledgment of them.

It's all very well telling people to update and then see if the problem has been fixed, but it shouldn't be necessary, and non-techy people (who are a vitally important customer base for Apple) don't like the uncertainty of "Well you can try updating and see if your problem is fixed but there's no guarantee". This is just as bad as the geeky mess that is Android and if Apple want to be seen as the more professionally executed product they should be more communicative to their customers.

And I have to say that I do somewhat agree with comments about Apple losing inertia. I know they are slaving away inside the hallowed portals and we should be grateful for whatever emerges, but even as a life-long evangelist of Apple (since the Mac Plus), I am somewhat concerned about their execution at the moment. I do believe that the shares have been oversold, but at the same time there is an element of method in the market and I think we are at a critical point in the mobile marketplace. The first rush of products has how started to wane and the amount of innovation is dropping.

I personally don't subscribe to the bigger, better, faster creed, and I think the appeal of this is waning as people realise that it doesn't necessarily give them anything significant in their daily lives. Let's face it, does an iPhone 5 do THAT much better a job than an iPhone 4? I still think that an iPhone (of whatever model) is a more productive tool for me than an Android phone, but the difference is diminishing. And although Apple are still able to get a lot of profit out of the business at present, how much longer will that last in the face of an aggressively competitive Android phone marketplace where the OS developer also does not depend on the sale of hardware to be profitable?

• Reply 63 of 74
    I like this segment it was very realistic not overly bias coming from a life long Apple fan because all it really boils down to is preference and ecosystems though no one can deny that Apple products are a lot more stable for years down the road as far as hard ware and software updates are concerned no one can deny that the competition has caught up and has arrived I've recently switched from Android to Apple since the 3rd generation iPad has come out so that makes me an Apple newbie but I will say this I believe Apple Jony Ivy & Tim Cook has no other option but to hit a home run in 2013 and though bigger isn't always better Apple at least need to make a phone with a 4.5 inch screen with that same awesome aluminum body and the rest will be history.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    @[B]Jingo[/B]: if secirity is of concern, Apple has posted [URL=http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5642]this piece[/URL]
  • Reply 65 of 74
    jingojingo Posts: 117member

It's not the security side of things, it's the functionality which is of interest to most.

Keeping my ear to the ground it seems that connectivity to car bluetooth systems is something that they have addressed - many people were reporting that calls would drop within a minute or so of taking them over a bluetooth connection, and it seems that this may have been addressed with 6.1. But if this is so, why not mention it in the "release notes" (in inverted commas because I don't think what Apple has said about 6.1 so far really justifies the term).

Also it is widely reported that the iOS version of Safari has been much speeded up, and certainly that is my impression. Again, why not mention this? I imagine that there are more tweaks and fixes, but why not acknowledge them rather than leaving people to find out (or not) for themselves?

It might make sense to Apple, but it certainly doesn't smack of appropriate concern for the user.

• Reply 66 of 74

I think its a   .1 update because there are a number of API changes such as that an app can now ask for points of interest at a location and other stuff like that. The .0.1 updates don't have new APIs.

One thing I have seen is some updates to the music app and the music controls on the lock screen. check out the volume control knob on that - the reflections on the faux metal move as you move the phone about! 

• Reply 67 of 74
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

My biggest gripe was finally fixed.  WIFI finally works at home.

• Reply 68 of 74
    gordy wrote: »

Good for you! I've had my WiFi connections at friends places go bad (no connection, wouldn't accept password) but a reset helped me out. Every time. Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. Have you tried that before?
  • Reply 69 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gordy wrote: »

I'm happy for you but I bet when the next betas and release for a point update come along there will be plenty of people saying "I hope they finally fix the WiFi issues."
  • Reply 70 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm happy for you but I bet when the next betas and release for a point update come along there will be plenty of people saying "I hope they finally fix the WiFi issues."

That's so funny it's actually sad. Or the other way around.
  • Reply 71 of 74

Does anyone else find that the Music app plays the wrong song after downloading from iTunes Match? It shows the correct track name and artwork but it's a different song it plays until I force quit the Music app. It's like they never tested it.

• Reply 72 of 74
    I find myself coming to Apple Insider less and less.

Hilarious that some are complaining about a minor release when:

BlackBerry 10 was delayed twice.
    BlackBerry Z10 was announced on 30 January 2013 but not available in most markets. In fact, the "global launch" is limited to the United Kingdom and Canada at this time.

The majority of Android "smartphones" are using an operating system more than two years old.
    Android will never compete with iOS in touch sensitivity and latency.
    Android is so full of security issues that the lack of security is touted as a major feature ("custom ROMs").
  • Reply 73 of 74

Agree. And I hope you're not going to Macrumors, where people who defend Apple get banned and warnings, whereas people who pop up in EVERY post to declare the doom of Apple are free to troll every day. Great world we have become. 

• Reply 74 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Any wonder why that news story the other day showed what i've been saying here for ages? The one that showed that iphone use is falling in the trend setting cities of Asia (Hong Kong) and Singapore)?

Apple needs to stop acting like old men and start to excite it's customer base again. I'll be jailbreaking shortly to try to inject some additional interest again...

I hope when Samsung/ HTC/ LG release their next update to fix the lags/ the hardware issues, users will be "excited" too !