Apple partner Philips exits consumer electronics business

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Philips: the inventor of the audio cassette.

And of the Compact Disc.

• Reply 22 of 30
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

Is it safe to assume that this does not affect Avent?

• Reply 23 of 30
    kdarling wrote: »
    neilm wrote: »
    Philips: the inventor of the audio cassette.

And of the Compact Disc.

True, but only the A>D part, they weren't able to get the D>A part working and called Sony.

OT: the little hole in a CD is exactly the same size at a 'dubbeltje', Dutch 10 cents, or 1/10th of a Guilder.

• Reply 24 of 30

iPilva. Is it safe to assume that this does not affect Avent?

No, only their HiFi, audio, & video business. Their home (eg lighting), personal, & healthcare are not effected.

As has been previously stated, their TV business was offloaded last year.

• Reply 25 of 30
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    As others have said here, this is sad news. Philips made some great consumer products over the years (They co-developed the CD together with Sony). They're unique take on electric shavers for-instance and most recently a very good range of TV's and headphones amongst other things. Will these products continue to be available under the 'Funai' brand perhaps? Or maybe they'll just license the Philips name to Funai...
  • Reply 26 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

WHAT? And you think software companies know anything about designing hardware? Trust me, I speak from experience here, most software engineers don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold onto.

I dispute this assertation about software engineers. We do know which end to hold, like all engineers we learn from experience and I have the healed up burn scars on my hands to prove it !

• Reply 27 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

As others have said here, this is sad news. Philips made some great consumer products over the years (They co-developed the CD together with Sony). They're unique take on electric shavers for-instance and most recently a very good range of TV's and headphones amongst other things. Will these products continue to be available under the 'Funai' brand perhaps? Or maybe they'll just license the Philips name to Funai...

Funai are paying 150m euros ($200m; £130m) and a regular brand licensing fee to take on the product lines. So it looks like the product name will survive.

• Reply 28 of 30
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

OT: the little hole in a CD is exactly the same size at a 'dubbeltje', Dutch 10 cents, or 1/10th of a Guilder.

Thanks for that.  I love obscure facts.  This reminds me of the story about why the primary CD diameter was set at 120mm... that one of the CEO's wives wanted to be able to play the longest known version of Beethoven's Ninth.

One of the engineers gives more detail about why that wasn't what they designed for, although it makes a great story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

WHAT? And you think software companies know anything about designing hardware? Trust me, I speak from experience here, most software engineers don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold onto.

Q. How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A.  None.  It's a hardware problem.

Q. How many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

A.  That cannot be done.  You must upgrade your house instead.

• Reply 29 of 30
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvie Casanova View Post

Hi,

I work for Philips and just want to make it clear, Philips hue is sold by the Philips lighting division, not by our consumer division and is not impacted by today's announcement. 

Thanks,

Silvie Casanova

Great to hear.  I almost pulled the trigger on a starter kit.  Now I can do so knowing I can add more when the time comes.  :-)

Any plans for brighter versions of the Hue?

• Reply 30 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    1983 wrote: »

Philips was the first time sell flat panels to the consumer market. It is a shame it's come to this.